Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Ron,

I think your post 326 is the 2nd Bn pre-Boer War. Initially, I thought the 2nd B York, but then thought the 2nd Bn Aldershot/Perham Down. Check the dove-tail bricks on the upper arch of the windows.

Aye

Tom McC

Hello Ron, is the photo of the piper dated? If it is then this will be the earliest photo of a Piper I have seen, I think, of a Piper wearing this pattern of '42nd' waist belt plate. It seems to be the same as the waist belt plate worn by the pipers up until the time of their amalgamation into the RRS.

Great photo

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart, the photo is marked on the back 1919 1920?

Have another look at post 212 they have 42 buckles.

Here is another from India 1925 the piper on the left is wearing the pipers buckle normally worn by the 2nd Batt.

Ron.

post-12169-1227308722.jpg

Nice photo, it's not too often you see the slip on shoulder title worn in the Black Watch. Thanks for the link to the other piper photos.

Regards,

Stewart

Another pre-war studio photo from India 2nd Batt I would guess.

There is a name and number on the reverse cant quite make it out maybe someone will know?

Here is the reverse.

post-12169-1227634381.jpg

post-12169-1227634446.jpg

Another pre-war studio photo from India 2nd Batt I would guess.

There is a name and number on the reverse cant quite make it out maybe someone will know?

Here is the reverse.

Hi Ron, The name on the reverse is Tunnah. I checked the National Archives WW1 medal cards and there are 4 Tunnah's listed in the Royal Highlanders. The number on the reverse of the photo did not match any of those listed. The military number would have been much shorter if in fact this photo was taken in India pre WW1 2nd Battalion.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=last_name%3dtunnah%7ccorpname%3droyal%20highlanders&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Thank you so much for sharing your photographs on the forum, we all appreciate it, Cheers!

Best Regards, Alistair

The King inspecting the 1st Battalion. Can anyone remember the date?

Ron.

H.M. the King inspecting the Guard of Honour, Aldershot, 14th May 1913.

Regards, Alistair

The back of this photo reads Lieut Carpenter Black Watch, but I can find no record of him in Officers of The Black Watch

vols 1 or 11. Does anyone have any information?

Ron.

post-12169-1227720642.jpg

I know this card is a bit too early for this forum, but I thought Black Watch enthusiasts might enjoy it.

On the reverse is written, South Africa native girl in Black Watch. Native girl in kilt. Bantu girl 2BW.

Goodness knows what the Sgt Major would have said!

Ron.

post-12169-1227818797.jpg

What fascinating photos. Superb collection. Thanks for posting all those.

I have one which I have posted before to identify the regiment. I have been told the guy on the right is Black Watch.

I know nothing else as the guy on the left is a Great Uncle but I have two same regiment Glocs and the same rank.

Could anyone gleen anymore info from photo. Any little thing would be a help.

Simon.

post-5914-1227868996.jpg

Simon,

The 1st Bn of the Gloucestershire Regiment fought in the 1st Infantry Division, as did the 1st Bn The Black Watch. The Black Watch man is a WOII (Warrant Officer Class II) and has been wounded three times. Can I ask what the name of your relative is please?

Aye

Tom McC

Tom,

Thanks for replying.

I actually had three members who it could possibly be. Now you have mentioned the 1st Batt it wasn't my GG in signature he was 2/6th and I'm sure he did not rise above the rank of Cpl.

The other one is a Sgt William Willington but his MIC shows 6th Batt as well. The only one it could be is 2819 Albert H Dew. His MIC shows CSM (maybe acting) but was busted to Cpl at some time. I am not sure of his Batt though.

Regards Simon.

Drummer, the card reads from Frank Niell to his friend George Thornton-Heath 24 April 1915.

Ron.

Ron, Great Pictures, really enjoy looking at them, keep them coming.

Joe