Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Hi All,

Post 349, the boy with the puttee round the wrong way. It also looks like he has a deep scar from a wound under (and around) his right eye.

Aye

Tom McC

Unofficial badge backing on this corporals hat.

Ron.

The TOS (Tam o Shanter) is most unusual, IE the tails over the shoulder, the Badge and the patch behind the badge? Is he Canadian Black Watch? What does the "Black Jock" think?

Yours

Joe

T Mc.... could this be an early pic of Black Jock??

There is an Ann Street in Dundee, but probably could say the same for a lot of Scottish Towns.

Neil

Ron, the pic of your badges on this forum is incredibly impressive. Desperate to identify which ones would have been for the 4/5th Angus & Dundee folk - looking to purchase one but dont want to go fishing for the wrong item. Bit more difficult from Aust to find the right things. Alble to point me in the right direction?

Cindy

Hi Tony,

I can only assume from the photo three men show just the edge of an armbadge,the thistle badge was worn by the 9th RH.

Wether the other men have badges is not clear,are the rear men snipers also? with only the photo to go on its just your best

guess. Primarily I am a badge collector of the Black Watch & 42nd Foot these photos I am posting come from my collection

of postcards. With regard to platoon strenghts and composition I will have to leave that to the other experts on this forum.

To give you a flavour of my collection have posted my BW officers badges 1881-2000.

Ron

Hi Cindy,

My picture on this forum shows only officers badges, I suspect you are refering to an other ranks badge,or shoulder title.

If you PM me I think I can help you out.

Regards Ron.

A volunteer Battalion? Barry camp Angus.

The message reads. am writing this lying under canvas.Getting fine weather enjoying myself up to the mark.

Hope you are getting on allright with the new milkman. J Brown.

Addressed to Miss Mackie Harlaw place Inverawe.

post-12169-1228659027.jpg

Lt Lindsay Fitzgerald Hay. At six foot eleven and half inches said to be the tallest man in the British army.

His nickname was the lamp post.

Ron.

post-12169-1228759120.jpg

Hi Ron

Can you tell me if you think this is a copy ( think I Know what you`ll say ) or is it the real thing,sorry about the pic but its the best I can get from scanner.

many thanks Gary.F.

Ron,

On your post 358, the Black Watch TF Sergeant in Full Dress*, what is the address that Tom Mc is sending the postcard-photo to?

Aye

Tom McC

Gary,

It looks like a fake Black Watch Sergeant's Badge (of the Victorian type - but worn later too). On the original badge, the "Forty Twa" is not joined in the manufacture. An original would also lighten your wallet a fair bit.

Hope this is of use.

Aye

Tom McC

Cindy,

A pre-1917, Other Rank's cap badge of The Black Watch Territorial Force - note the absence of a sphinx:

Hope this helps.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1228763869.jpg

Gary,

It looks like a fake Black Watch Sergeant's Badge (of the Victorian type - but worn later too). On the original badge, the "Forty Twa" is not joined in the manufacture. An original would also lighten your wallet a fair bit.

Hope this is of use.

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks Tom thought it was a bit sus. :(

Gary.F.

169g65j.jpg

Dundeesown suggested i add these to this thread,seems like a good idea.Hope no one minds.Some of these may not be as good quality but interesting all the same.