Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Hi Lads a pic of the Active Service Section 3rd V.B.R.H.-1901

Col-SgtInstr,D.Swan - Lce Corp Cyclist W.Blair -Cyclist W.S.Lumsden -W.H. Butchart ( a relation on the side of the Wife ?) D.T.Brown and R.K.Hill.

The pictures shown in 228 and 229 have been included in the thread regarding Tom Wilkie and were part of the pictures included in his album. They are more than likely the 1st battalion and date from before the war. The one with the post man is probably from the divisional training camp at Aldershot 1914 and the picture of Drill may be from some time before this (1911-1913)

regards

Ian

Ian, apologies for using your photos without crediting you.They were on my desktop and I had forgotten where they came

from.

I have a few unidentified studio portraits that I will be posting.Here is the first of them.

Ron.

post-12169-1223483705.jpg

Ron,

Not any problem with you using the pictures. I had only wondered if you had unearthed copies from some place else. Tom McCluskey posted one which was a duplicate of a picture I had showing the 1st crossing a pontoon bridge while on exercise. His had been printed in France as a postcard and written on the back in French. I also added the info that they were more than likely of the 1st btn which I suppose was self evident as one of the pictures has a large 42 in it!

regards

Ian

This postcard taken at Franco art studio Dublin.

Ron.

Ron

Any more details on the photo taken in Dublin? There was a training Bn at The Curragh during the war, again good photo,s, keep them coming.

Joe

Joe,

The back of the card is blank like so many others.

Here is another one a bit of barrack room fun,again a blank reverse unusually marked cartolina postale Italiana.

Ron.

post-12169-1223801215.jpg

Hi ron that is the crack 4th B/W Bttn famous for mopping up after an attack. :blush:

Yip, after sweeping the enemy back :lol:

Stewart

Just been looking at the Barrack Room photo again. Are you 100% sure they are Black Watch? It's just that the man at the back with Service dress tunic on seems to have curved shoulder titles. The Black Watch did not have these until post 1921.

I am wondering if in fact this is a photo of members of the 2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders. They were sent to Italy in 1917. A relative of mine served in the Gordon's in the War, in the majority of the photo's we have of him, the Yellow stripe on his kilt is invisible in the B/W photo's, so appears to be Black Watch tartan. This could be the case with the kilt in your photo.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

You might be right under an eyeglass that title does look curved.

Here is one from photographer G Petrie Main St Dundee but is that a Black Watch badge?

Ron.

post-12169-1223805477.jpg

Hello Ron,

Nice photo. His badge looks large and round, it could be the badge of the Gordon's as there appears to be a flat, proud bit to the top middle which would be where the Stag's forehead is. however, the Gordon's usually wore a Kilt Pin. His Flashes look like the Regimental pattern worn by the Gordon's. They have a single 'loop' above the 'V' cut. The Black Watch ones were plain. All in all, I would say he was a Gordon.

Regards,

Stewart

Ron,

The one in the trews looks like India. The 'frock' (tunic) is a pattern worn out there (no Inverness skirts, no piping, and only 6 buttons) and he is in trews .

The two sergeants are possibly Glasgow Highlanders. It was unusual for a TF Black Watch sergeant to not wear a sergeant's sporran.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1224008337.jpg

Another view of the 1st Battalion April 1918.

Ron

Hello Ron

Great photo,s again, I notice that they have the working parts of their rifle wrapped up in hessian? to keep it dry I suppose, with muskets yes but bolt action? or to keep from rusting?

Yours

Joe

I think these blokes were all one family. The man in civvies has a RH shoulder title on his lapel.

Interesting photo nevertheless

post-10363-1224309475.jpg