Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Gary,

Here's the 4th Battalion, off to war, leaving Dudhope Castle for Dundee West, February 1915. Note the puttees.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1218568720.jpg

Anthony, originally, a sporran was simply a pouch worn at the waist. You see similar things with old english figures. A cut purse stole them! Gradually a sporran in the forces became a dress ornament. Different regiments have different colours and numbers of tassels as well as badges. A Hair sporran has a very small pouch in the back. Generally it is a more substantial leather pouch which will take a wallet and your fags and matches.

Take a look at this photo, odd sporran could this be Highland Cyclist Battalion?

Does anyone have photos of HCB?

Ron.

Ron

My apologies for hijacking your excellent post, which I have been enjoying the photos of my old regiment. I am new to this site and I was carried away with the Ireland BW Coy comments, so I will open up a new thread on this Subject, the BW connection in Ireland.

Once again my apologies

Yours

Joe

Joe,

All contributions are welcome every small piece of information helps to build a store of knowledge that everyone can

enjoy. I will look forward to viewing your thread.

Ron

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

Anthony.

Hi Tom

great picture of the 4th,I`m of to the Dundee Archives on Monday 18/8.to Look up the absent voters List,any men you`r Looking for ? going to see if they have any pics of the 4th,4/5th or any pics of B/W,if you think of any info I might get for you or any of the other lads just post it up .gary

Gary,

Many thanks for the offer. It will be great if you manage to come across some photos. They have the diary of a Dundee (4th Bn) chap that ends up in the Machine Gun Corps in the Archives. If you get a chance to look at it, it is quite interesting. The end of the war, in his diary, is quite surprising.

Ron,

I think the First Word War ones had a small cylinder/tube on the side of the helmet. It could be possibly the same for the soldiers in the photo.

Aye

Tom McC

Hi Tom

great picture of the 4th,I`m of to the Dundee Archives on Monday 18/8.to Look up the absent voters List,any men you`r Looking for ? going to see if they have any pics of the 4th,4/5th or any pics of B/W,if you think of any info I might get for you or any of the other lads just post it up .gary

Hello Gary

There is a photo in the Balhousie Castle of The Black Watch at Blairgowrie Railway station the Queen Mum is seeing them off, I am sure members would like to see the photo, if it could be posted.

If you don't mind, could you ask if they have any ref to the Dublin/Belfast BW Pl?

Many Thanks

Joe

This is the Aldershot Tattoo, how did they fix the hackles to the tin helmets?

Ron

Ron That is an excellent photo of the Black Watch, By the Right, very smart.

Thanks Ron, any more?

Joe

Hello Gary

There is a photo in the Balhousie Castle of The Black Watch at Blairgowrie Railway station the Queen Mum is seeing them off, I am sure members would like to see the photo, if it could be posted.

If you don't mind, could you ask if they have any ref to the Dublin/Belfast BW Pl?

Many Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe no probs will see if any ref to Dublin or Belfast and will Look out for any pics. ;)

And the last one from the Tattoo, some has suggested that this is the 1st Battalion 1913 as they were stationed there at

this time.

Ron.

post-12169-1218817960.jpg

Ron,

Are all the photos from the same series?

If they are it must be after the war (tin hats) - possibly the 2nd Battalion up form Bordon 1922-25?

Aye

Tom McC

I have read that Full Dress for O/R's was discontinued after the Great War, however, for special events, limited amounts would be issued for guards of honour etc. I think this Tattoo photo must be post war and a Company of the Black Watch have been issed Full Dress for the occassion.

Regards,

Stewart

Ron,

Are all the photos from the same series?

If they are it must be after the war (tin hats) - possibly the 2nd Battalion up form Bordon 1922-25?

Aye

Tom McC

Yes must be Bordon, there is a photo by "Snaffles" titled Aldershot 1924 in the same dress, in The Black Watch (A Short History) at this time the title was changed to The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). A good photo of the Regimental Sergeant Major offering up the Sovereign's Colour (Kings) to the Ensign. I wonder if it was at the name change.

Tom

Tom,

Yes all three are from Gale and Polden postcards I think early 20s is about right.

Take a look at Pipe Sgt 2nd BW photo looks to be around 1910. I know 2BW were in India 1902-1914 perhaps he was

a depot man? I was wondering if this is Pipe Sgt John Keith DCM.

rON

post-12169-1218831480.jpg

a great collection of Black Watch photos, does any one know of a Black Watch Pipe Major who had three sons in the band at the same time? I am not sure of the date, after WW1

Joe

.....just a guess Are the three Huns the horses captured mebbe but also I think Hun is an old derogatory term for a Protestant-what was the balance of the Black Watch with Cs and Ps

Hi I cant see how you have got onto the subject of the Three Huns ? or is it post 23 you`r talking about ?I`m sure another thread deals with the Horses,and does it matter about the religious leanings of the men of the B/W? they fought and died as one. Gary.

There was a family of Pipers in the Black Watch, I am not sure how many generations there were, but there name was Bain. I wonder if this is the family you mean.

Stewart

Ron,

Good picture of the Pipey, and it raises a couple of questions. I am trying to work out what is above his Pipe Major chevrons? Anyway, here's a picture of a drummer from the 7th (Fife) Bn, The Black Watch. Note, unlike some regiments, there is no drum worn on the arm in full dress, the 'Thain of Fife' collar badges, and the typically Black Watch spats.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1218887345.jpg

a great collection of Black Watch photos, does any one know of a Black Watch Pipe Major who had three sons in the band at the same time? I am not sure of the date, after WW1

Joe

Joe,

this is a photo of the 3/4th

In the middle row P/M Angus MacLeod. Pipers Alex and D Macleod there is a possibility it is father and two sons

post-18033-1218891952.jpg