Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Ron,

Now that would be interesting if he did, as it might be one of the first instances (photo 1910) that a Black Watch Pipey is seen with the Pipe Major Badge above the 4 chevrons.

Here's a good picture of a Black Watch Drummie to go with him.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1218898831.jpg

Another piper L/c T Sheach A coy 2nd Battalion KIA 9 11 1914 from Kirkcaldy.

Oddly enough he is not mentioned in The Pipes of War by Seaton and Grant.

Ron.

post-12169-1218900939.jpg

Ron,

I wonder if he was a 'black economy' piper drawn from one of the rifle companies? I notice there was no major action occurring on the 9th of November 1914. On SDGW he was an Aberdeen lad and enlisted in Kirkcaldy.

Aye

Tom McC

Another nice pic. of a father and son but I wasn`t sure about the sporrans are they B/W sporrans ?

fae Gary.

Gary

Good photos, keep them coming.

Joe

Gary,

It looks like a Volunteers' sporran. The 3rd (Dundee Highland) Volunteer Battalion Royal Highlanders wore a similar sporran prior to 1908.

Joe,

I have posted this elsewhere but it's a great picture of a Black Watch sergeant at Aldershot in 1914. Note the Sergeants' cap badge.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1219084670.jpg

Here's a close up

Aye

Tom McC

Tam & Ron

Thats a good photo, I have one of my father in Review order with the Glengarry 1928 Maryhill bks. when did the Black Watch stop wearing the Glengary and wore the Blue Bonnet instead?

Joe

Hello,

I think it was after WW2 that the Blue bonnet became the dress hat for the Black Watch. I have seen a few photo's of the battalion C1937-38 and they were wearing Glengarries then. In the 1950's all Scottish Regiments were issed with a Regimental version of the Blue bonnet. Some had dicing, some were plain.

Great photo's,

Stewart

Back of this postcard reads upper Silesia.This must be the 2nd Battalion 1920.

Ron.

Ron, again very good photos, where are you getting them from? The lanyards most unusual, wonder why they wore them, some one will know.!!!!!!!!!!

Back of this postcard reads upper Silesia.This must be the 2nd Battalion 1920.

Ron.

Ron,

Must be, the 1st were in India. I notice they are wearing kilt pins. Must have been a 2nd Bn thing.

tom

Ron, again very good photos, where are you getting them from? The lanyards most unusual, wonder why they wore them, some one will know.!!!!!!!!!!

I would guess that the CO thought it looked smart.

It is unusual for them all to be wearing Cap badges in their Khaki bonnets, most of the photo's I have show them wearing the Hackle in this head dress. At first I thought they might have been Glasgow Highlanders. It's a great photo!

Stewart

It is unusual for them all to be wearing Cap badges in their Khaki bonnets, most of the photo's I have show them wearing the Hackle in this head dress. At first I thought they might have been Glasgow Highlanders. It's a great photo!

Stewart

Stewart

if you look up the Blairgowrie site you will see a set of Black Watch photos similar to the ones posted with the badge in the TOS,(I think they are similar), any way they are good BW photos, they belong to Chalky who comes from Blair.

joe

Hi All,

Following this topic with interest.

I thought these previous posts, with pics, may be of interest to those who hadn't seen them previously.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...8&hl=WendyE

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...2&hl=WendyE

Regards,

Angus

• 2 weeks later...