Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Ron,

The officer on the left is 2nd Lt JH Campbell of Stracathro of No 4 Coy 5th BW formerly C & D Coy's.(Montrose and Brechin respectively) he was presumably in the Brechin Coy as Stracathro is just outside Brechin . Commisioned 19/01/1914. Left France sometime in Feb 1915. To Lt 13/07/1916. To Capt 23/10/1925.

The other officer is difficult I was going to hazzard a guess but will have to search more

Tom

An anonymous member of the 9th Battalion with a nice view of the thistle armbadge.

Ron.

Ron, Thanks for sharing these Black Watch photos with us, I am sure a lot of people are enjoying them?

Keep them coming

Joe

Hello Ron,

I think all 3 men are in the Volunteer/Territorial Force. The 2 Black Watch men have snake clasp buckles, and not the GS Slade Wallis type affair. They are probably from the 4th, 5th,or 6th Battalion as the 7th Bn wore their won pattern of Collar Badge. Do you know where the photo was taken?

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

No information Im afraid just an anonymous postcard like so many others.

Heres another one about the same period,with red cross armbadges.

Ron.

post-12169-1222723238.jpg

Hi Gary,

Here is a card with a Dundee interest.

The message on the reverse reads. Dear sister just a few lines to let you know that I am getting on alright,

you might send me out a karkie shirt for I only have one,and you might send me out some boot polish for I have

none.Tell father that I was asking for him and hope to see him soon.I think that is all at present write soon from your brother.

The card is addressed to Miss Leah Gibb 75 Victoria Rd Dundee.Posted 27-11-18.

16 days after the armistice and he needs boot polish.

Ron.

post-12169-1222803913.jpg

Hi Ron.

A very nice card you have, sorry for delay in reply but when I saw the name Gibb :o I just had to find out if it was John Gibbs Family,but aquick look up of the 1901 census has Leah gibb in Forfar with her Family John was born in Brechin and moved to Dundee.Census show Leah with 4 brothers Charles,Andrew,William and Allan,thanks again and all the best fae Dundee.Gary

Gary,

Another piece of Dundee ephemera. acknowledgement of food parcel from 3715 James Henderson 4th Black Watch

a POW in lager 2 Bennbahn.

Ron.

post-12169-1222976487.jpg

Ron,

Ardvreck, Perth Road, Dundee, is the address of Harry Walker, the Officer Commanding the 4th (City of Dundee) Battalion, The Black Watch: Dundee's Ain.

Lt Col Harry Walker was mortally wounded at the Battle of Loos. His widow laid the first wreath at the unveiling of the Dundee war memorial on The Law, 1925:

Hope this is of interest.

Aye

Tom McC

Tom

I have just been reading your very detailed report from 2006 ref Lt Col Harry Walker, very interesting, you know your Black Watch history.

Yours

Joe

Ron,

Mrs A Walker was Harry Walker's wife, so possibly Nancy was the daughter. I have not checked with the census. Thanks for posting the photo of Lt Col Harry Walker.

Aye

Tom McC

A group of Sgts dated 12th july 1914 Malta.These are probably 2nd Battalion men either on route to India or on their way home.

Ron.

post-12169-1223123083.jpg

Ron,

Because of the half-puttees and the Tam O'Shanter, I think there has been a mistake with the date of the Malta photo (July 1914). I think it is more likely to be post-1915.

Aye

Tom McC

great photos ,great thread

my nana`s(never thought of her as a grandmother) brother was slain in the slaughter that was aubers ridge

9/5/15

2nd battalion royal highlanders,is there any photos or information available of the bareilly brigade at all ???

private norman graham,1001 rest in peace

many thanks