Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Ron,

The dancers could be 2nd Bn. Only on the hunch that the buildings look German, they remind me of German Army barracks. The piper is hard to give the battalion. His sporran is not what I woud expect a 1st Bn piper to wear, plus it is badly set up. I have seen photos of the Hackle being fixed with a button but dont know if it is particular to a battalion. It also looks like he has fitted white buttons to his spats in preparation to blancoing them.

Tom

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum. As the name of the thread suggests, the regiment is The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) . The puzzle is which battalion and where the photograph was taken.

Tom,

I too was thinking that the dancers were 2nd Bn, as the buildings in the backdrop have the look of German barrack-type accomodation.

The photo of the soldier in the Royal Stewart kilt is quite interesting. The hackle is large like a Foreign Service helmet one (2nd Bn?). The belt looks like a dancer's belt; and if he is a piper, he isn't wearing a piper's sporran. Basically, the uniform is in a bit of a state of flux. Possibly the transition period at the end of the war?

Aye

Tom McC

This young chap,2nd Batt just prewar in India Iwould say.There is a faded signature on the back I wonder if anyone can

make it out.

Ron.

Here is the signature.

post-12169-1221389166.jpg

post-12169-1221389241.jpg

Ron,

A great picture of a L/Cpl wearing a white patrol jacket. It shows a great deal of dress features such as the size of the hackle on the Foreign Service helmet, the spats, and the removable badges for laundering. Great and thanks for posting. Another point to note, that Black Jock (Tom) pointed out earlier is the sporran. This soldier has the tassles of his sporran laid out properly and in good order, the soldier in the previous post does not.

Aye

Tom McC

P.S. Name: Possibly Corstorphine? Quite a popular name in the Regimental Recruiting Area

Ron,

Whiles holding fast his guid blue bonnet,

From Tam O'Shanter by Robert Burns

Going back to one of your photos, I notice the 2nd held onto the Blue Bonnet for quite a while, 1919 in accordance with the date of the photo. After its demise, it isn't seen again until 1951, I think.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1221393725.jpg

Hello,

Regarding the piper on the post at the top of this page. I do not think he is from one of the regular Battalions. His cross belt [baldrick] is of the correct regimental pattern, but his waist belt buckle is not the pattern worn by either of the regular battalions during this period. Also he is wearing the standard O/R's pattern sporran. the pipers of Regular and TF battalions wore the staff pattern. This was the same as the officers sporran [except levee dress/mess dress sporran].

I would guess that he is probably from a Service battalion. Great photo ;) . Regards,

Stewart

MIC details for the 2nd Bn Photo-

Medal card of Corstorphin, Peter CorpsRegiment NoRank 2nd Royal Highlanders 1934 Lance Corporal 2nd Royal Highlanders 1934 Acting Corporal Date 1914-1920I will check my 1913 Black Watch Chronicle to see if he gets a mention.

Cheers,

Stewart

Hello Ron,

That is a very nice photo. It's not very often you see the pipers with there Pipe Banners attached. I notice only one Piper seems to be wearing medals. With this photo dated 1922, I wonder if the others are still awating their's to be issued?

The Black Watch has, for a couple of years, been talking about publishing a book of Pipe Tunes, I hope that if they do, the include some photo's of their bands over the years and give a list of their piies etc.

All the best,

Stewart

An odd looking officer,he is wearing osd St Andrew collars.but are those regulation hose. I wonder if he is Canadian?

Ron.

I think he was last out of bed that morning. The hose look OK but are too small as is the rest of his gear. He is sans sporran and spats. I am not sure if officers wore hosetops with spats at that time

Tom

Ron,

The last photo of The Sports Day, is an officer of the 7th Black Watch chatting to an officer of the 5th Seaforth Highlanders. Must be a 51st Highland Division sports day.

Aye

Tom McC

Ron,

The one of Campbell (another unkempt-looking officer), surely can't be a regular :): The picture looks reminiscent of a lot of Dundee housing. Have you cropped this picture?

Aye

Tom McC

Hi Tom,

I have cropped it to get to 100k,the part missing does not show anything extra.I have another photo of this officer that

I will post once Ive found it.

Ron.

This postcard was posted in Brechin 12am 4 Aug 1914.

message reads. Many thanks for your letter,will write a decent one to you soon only v busy at present HC.

Ron.

post-12169-1221994017.jpg