Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Gary, The badge is definatly a fake,there are dozens of them on ebay.

Tom, Im afraid there is no address given on the postcard.

With regard to your post 369, I personally dont think that badge was issued to 4/5/6/7th Battalions untill 1921.

There is only one die for this badge made by Dingley Bros silversmiths Birmingham and is manufactured to a

higher standard than the standard 1902-36 badges.

Skipman, Thanks for the photos please feel free to add more.

Ron.

Gary,see post 185 for Victorian Sgts badge.

Ron.

Hi thanks Ron I live in hope of getting the real thing, been close but one ronmarsden has out bid me mmmmmmmmmm :D

hope I didn`t tread on your toes with suggestion to post pics on your thread ?

allthe best G.F.

118lw6s.jpg

I am a bit puzzled here, are they Black Watch? what kind of headress are they wearing? Blue or Black Bonnet? and what is the badge? Is the photographer McCallum from Perth? I am sure some one can explain all. But very interesting photos and items and makes the site very interesting, keep them coming.

Thank You

Joe

Hi Joe,i can't guarantee they are all Black Watch.They were in magazine with mostly Black Watch stuff,and from a Perthshire magazine.I was presuming they were.

If anyone can say for sure some of these are not Black Watch,i will post them on another thread,no problem

Cheers Mike

14tq7as.jpg

Hi, I was very excited to see a photo of the 2nd Battalion Band! My grandad is the Big drummer in the middle! I have another photo of this group but a different pose. Would it be possible to send a large scan of this to me at my email address? I would be more than happy to send you a large scan to you of the image I have. Thank you for posting this, Cheers

Regards, Alistair

Ron,

In 1917, in accordance with army orders (and understandably), the Territorial Force were entitled to wear the cap badge of The Royal Highlanders (proper). Plus bear in mind, in 1922 (in line with the order of the name of the Regiment) the badge changes to:

"Black Watch" (Top scrolls)

"The Royal Highlanders" (Lower scrolls)

Aye

Tom McC

Tom, re your last post have you ever seen an other ranks badge with Black Watch scrolls at the top?

Here is a sergeants what years would yuo say it was worn?

Ron.

post-12169-1228931383.jpg

Hello Ron,

As I understand it, this style of badge was worn by the Second Battalion sergeants from 1901-37. It is an unusual variation to have the scrolls reversed like that and I have never been able to find out who the badge maker was. Are there any makers marks on your badge?

Regards,

Stewart

i3tp9k.jpg

They are 5th VB Black Watch (volunteer Battalion) if that makes sense,not sure about uniform/caps.

Very interesting, would love to know more details ref uniform etc, keep them coming.

Many Thanks

Joe