Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

" Hi Mike. I am very poor at this but I think he looks like the chap seated on the right, as we look. "

Hi Tom. Tried to pm you, but can't? There is a similarity. The man seated on the right is a Sergeant though, and as far as I know, William Clogg was only ever a Private.

Cheers Mike

Ron

The 7 Bn Black Watch arrived in Armentieres on the 16 August 1916,they relieved a Bn of of the New Zealand Division,they were there for about a week.from, A History of the Black Watch by Major General A.G. Wauchope.

Would this be the 7th Bn BW in the photo?

Joe,

I think the last picture is of the 2nd Black Watch at Armentieres not long after landing in France. The Battalion was split in two with Bn HQ, No. 1 and No. 2 Coys at the northern end of the line. Lieutenant-General Sir James Willcocks was the commander of the Indian Corps and Brigadier-General W. M. Southey was the commander of the Bareilly Brigade.

Aye

Tom McC

ThanksTom,

I have just started to read the History of the Black Watch by Major General A.G. Wauchope very interesting.

At the end of Sept we passed through Armentieres on tour,but we could not stop,next time.

Joe

• 1 month later...

Ron,

The 3rd Battalion were moved to Ireland, from Scotland, in November 1917. It is possible that the soldier in the photograph was sent to the 7th from the 3rd; or this soldier was from the 7th and recuperating in the 3rd. The 3rd Battalion, at this time, contained many veterans from the Front.

The 3rd moved to Aghada, Cork and had a fairly depressing time. In March 1918 the Battalion moved to Curragh and were quartered in Rath Camp, a hutted camp on the road to Kildare.

The detail covering the 3rd Battalions time in Ireland is covered in Wauchope, Volume 1, pages 351 to 355.

Reference the photo of the Mil Band: I didnt think the TF were established for one prior to the War? I dont know if this was the case after the War.

Aye

Tom McC

Ron,

I have just had a good look at the picture you posted of the officer wearing the bomber’s canvas chest rig – which is strapped around his left hip – and I have made the following observations:

• He is wearing an early pattern Balmoral bonnet, noted as such because he is wearing the khaki canvas cover over it. You can see the shape of the tourie poking up into the Balmoral's cover giving this officer’s headdress a rather pointed appearance.

• He is wearing a large hackle – of the type worn in the Foreign Service helmet.

• He is wearing half-puttees.

How about an officer of the 2nd Black Watch (possibly the bombing officer), Flanders 1915?

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-096617600 1291270657.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Really good collection here. I'm a little puzzled about chronology though. Are the differences in uniform (hackle or no hackle, badge or no badge, TOS or Glengarry, types of jacket) time or situation related? Could someone point me to relevant posts, photos etc.?

I'm sketching pictures of a fictional Black Watch Private during mid 1916 for an art project and I do love getting the details right. So far I've been depicting his Tam as having a badge set on tartan with no hackle. Is that a more modern style and, come to think of it, did the BW wear the Tam going over the top?

Thanks Awfully

Alfred

• 3 weeks later...

Cpl Robert D Allen M.M.and Bar 6TH Royal Highlanders.

Written on the reverse. In France in Hospital Bob. 21.9.1917.

6th BW History spells his name Allen cards written by him are spelt Allan.

cplallan1.jpg

cplallan1.jpg

Good to see you posting again Ron.

Joe

cplallan1.jpg

I have tried to find records for this brave Black Watch man,but have not located any details of how he won a MM & BAR,also where he came from?

can any member help me.

Thank you

Joe