Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Here is another card with Cpl Allan on the left acompanied by Pte Joseph Paton S/13574 6th R.H.

Message reads with fond regards from us both Joe Paton France 14.Jan 1918.

Joe Paton listed as died 10-4-1918.

allan3.jpg

Hi all,

Really good collection here. I'm a little puzzled about chronology though. Are the differences in uniform (hackle or no hackle, badge or no badge, TOS or Glengarry, types of jacket) time or situation related? Could someone point me to relevant posts, photos etc.?

I'm sketching pictures of a fictional Black Watch Private during mid 1916 for an art project and I do love getting the details right. So far I've been depicting his Tam as having a badge set on tartan with no hackle. Is that a more modern style and, come to think of it, did the BW wear the Tam going over the top?

Thanks Awfully

Alfred

I am by no means a uniform expert but I can perhaps help with the easy one. In mid 1916, men going over the top would normally be wearing a helmet. The TOS replaced the Glengarry for O.R.s some time during the war.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont know where this was taken or which Battalion, probably Richmond Camp.

Mizpah typical WW1 sentiment an emotional bond between seperated people.

mizpah.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The names on the revere read. Pte D Carsewell, Pte B Panton, Piper D Shankland, Pte W Shankland, Pte J Dunner,

Stibbles, Lawe, Corp Hulme. There is a shoulder title on view that I think reads T/6/RH. mabye someone will recognise the

names?

Ron.

My Great grandfather's name was John Stibbles Private in the 9th Bw my Fahter has one pict of him at old age.

Going with the National Archives only one Stibbles in The Black Watch,so it must be your man.

Gary.

that would be great news for us.

could you give me a link to national archives or perhaps a print screen or something??

thanks in advance

Hi there great pictures, I thought it would good to add my Great Granfather to this post he is the one standing Private S/7730 John stewart 2nd Bn Black watch with an unknown friend. Its a shame We don't have a picture in his proper Black watch uniform, Many thanks .Ian

post-54476-006044600 1297635436.jpg

Picture referring to post #531 has been sent to relatives in Scotland for possible I.D. when I have heard from then I'll let you know

referring to post #296

question #1 what does T/6/RH stand for?

question #2 anybody have an idea on where and when this is?

thank you in advance

Kenneth

post-64697-070203800 1297887767.jpg

Territorial 6th Battalion Royal Highlanders.

Gary.

thanks gary,

is that part of The Black watch aswell or perhaps something else?

thank you, Kenneth

thank You Gary,

only 26 years of age and born in the netherlands, so not fammiliar with foreign army things (not even the dutch ones by the way)

And again if someone knows some more on when and were this was taken please let me know

Kenneth

Kenneth, sorry, once you've been on here awhile, it's easy to forget that others are still finding their feet and don't know all the nuances of what Regiments are which!!

Read up on the Long Long Trail link on the strap line just under the Great War logo at the top of the page, there's tons of info on it!!

Google can help too.

Congratulations on your excellent grasp of English, there are many English who can't post as well as you do!

Just go at your own pace, there's no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers.

We all had to start somewhere and I still don't understand some of the 1/5th; 2/4th Battalion thing, like women and the Offside Rule, you either get it or struggle!!!

As to where and when taken, there were annual camps for Territorial soldiers. This looks like that kind of relaxed atmosphere just before WW1 started. Also the footwear (and socks) of the chap sitting down look prewar. The tunics have the Scottish "cutaway" to allow for the sporran (you're going to have to understand the intricacies of Highland dress too!).

John Stibbles is holding a practice chanter, obviously learning to play the pipes, it's the bit the piper behind him is holding.

You'll notice that two are wearing spats over their boots, and that their hose is plain khaki, not diced in red and white diamonds as it would be for a band parade. I can't make out what is on the ground next to the seated chap, it looks too small to be a drum majors mace, and too big for a drumstick. I wouldn't expect a Corporal to have a cane, so quite what it signifies, I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!!

Kenneth, sorry, once you've been on here awhile, it's easy to forget that others are still finding their feet and don't know all the nuances of what Regiments are which!!

Read up on the Long Long Trail link on the strap line just under the Great War logo at the top of the page, there's tons of info on it!!

Google can help too.

Congratulations on your excellent grasp of English, there are many English who can't post as well as you do!

Just go at your own pace, there's no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers.

We all had to start somewhere and I still don't understand some of the 1/5th; 2/4th Battalion thing, like women and the Offside Rule, you either get it or struggle!!!

Thank you for you're reply and compliment kevin

i think 1/5th and 2/4th means there are several battalions of 1st an 2nd an so on hence the 1/2, 3/2 and so on

Kenneth

• 3 weeks later...

Google can help too.

As to where and when taken, there were annual camps for Territorial soldiers. This looks like that kind of relaxed atmosphere just before WW1 started. Also the footwear (and socks) of the chap sitting down look prewar. The tunics have the Scottish "cutaway" to allow for the sporran (you're going to have to understand the intricacies of Highland dress too!).

John Stibbles is holding a practice chanter, obviously learning to play the pipes, it's the bit the piper behind him is holding.

You'll notice that two are wearing spats over their boots, and that their hose is plain khaki, not diced in red and white diamonds as it would be for a band parade. I can't make out what is on the ground next to the seated chap, it looks too small to be a drum majors mace, and too big for a drumstick. I wouldn't expect a Corporal to have a cane, so quite what it signifies, I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!!

Gents

" looks too small to be a drum majors mace, and too big for a drumstick. I wouldn't expect a Corporal to have a cane, so quite what it signifies, I'm not sure"

Swagger Cane used for walking out,from Private Soldier upward,Junior Ranks.

The Black Watch (RHR)

Royal Highland Regiment

Joe

Now you've done it Kevin. Major Tom has got his eye on you.

I assume your back in Blighty then Tom?

Four officers killed in action at the Battle of loos 25/26/27th September 1915.

loos.jpg

Capt R.C. ANDERSON With Bn to France Aug 1914 Wounded 27 10 1914 Returned to duty 18 5 1915 Wounded 25 9 1915 Died of Wounds 27 9 1915,Actions at which present. Mons 1914. Marne 1914. Aisne. 1914. Ypres 1914. Loos 1919.

Casualty Details

Name:ANDERSON, ROBERT CUNNINGHAMInitials:R CNationality:United KingdomRank:CaptainRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:"A" Coy. 1st Bn.Age:24Date of Death:26/09/1915Additional information:Eldest son of A. C. Anderson and Jessie Haig Anderson, of "The Homestead," Prestwick, Ayrshire.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:I. K. 7.Cemetery:NOEUX-LES-MINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Casualty Details

Name:SANDERSON, HAROLD SCOTTInitials:H SNationality:United KingdomRank:LieutenantRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:8th Bn.Age:22Date of Death:25/09/1915Additional information:Son of Frederick Reid Sanderson and Alice Helen Scott Sanderson, of 5, Glencairn Crescent, Edinburgh.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Panel 78 to 83.Memorial:LOOS MEMORIAL

Lieut E.H. MacIntosh KIA 25 9 1915-2 10 1915 According to A History of the Black Watch by Major-General Wauchope,however no trace in CWGC?

Casualty Details

Name:HENDERSON, MICHAEL WILLIAMInitials:M WNationality:United KingdomRank:Lieutenant ColonelRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:9th Bn.Age:44Date of Death:27/09/1915Additional information:Son of William Horn Henderson and Elizabeth Barron; husband of Florence Morton Bell, of Commercial Bank House, Linlithgow.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:III. 1. Opposite Rows B and C.Cemetery:DUD CORNER CEMETERY, LOOS

• 4 weeks later...