Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Mike,

In a nutshell, the Perthshire Highland Rifle Volunteers are the antecedent of the 5th (Perthshire Highland) Volunteer Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). The Haldane reforms had this unit initially annotated as the 8th Royal Highlanders (Cyclists). However, this did not come to fruition and instead it became the Highland Cyclist Battalion.

Strictly speaking, is it Black Watch? No.

Is it First World War? No. The Perthshire Highland Rifle Volunteers ran from about 1874 to 1887 – after that it became the 5th (Perthshire Highland) Volunteer Battalion, The Black Watch.

I hope this is of use.

Aye,

Tom McC

Ron,

Reference your previous posts: 523, 526, & 528; 1585 Pte Robert Douglas Allan was mentioned in 153 Brigade’s Routine Orders (Number 290) dated 8th November 1916, as having been awarded the Military Medal. Sorry I have taken so long to get back, but I have only chanced upon this today. Please see the attached picture.

Aye,

Tom McC

[Picture courtesy of the PRO]

post-10175-0-61250700-1307464472.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ron,

Unusual picture! Black Watch from the eyebrows down. Maybe he is wearing a mate’s (or bother’s) bonnet for a laugh?

Aye,

Tom McC

• 2 weeks later...

Some assistance please friends.

This chap, Gerard Hudson, hails from Brighton but left the UK permantly for a job in South Africa in 1904. He served in East Africa during WW1 but as a member of the South African forces.

As the uniform appears to (my untrained eye) be Black Watch, would this picture have been taken pre 1904 whilst he was still living in the UK or were there at the time units in South Africa wearing this uniform? Could he therefore have been a member of a local unit with a Black Watch uniform and the picture taken in South Africa or would dating the picture to pre 1904 seem more accurate.

The closest match to Gerard's uniform was the one posted by Ron #244 on page 10 showing Harry Walker? Any comment on the uniform worn by Gerard would be appreciated.

post-25609-0-83420300-1315148173.jpg

The badges on Gerards picture, although not very clear, appear to be somewhat different to those seen in this thread and elsewhere of a typical Black watch badge.

I have come across this colour picture titled " Scottish Black Watch uniform and accessories, c. 1905, Scotland," which closely resembles the badges on the black-and-white picture.

Would it be safe to say that the badges of the period just before WW1 were somewhat different to the badges issued subsequently?

It is the central/core section of the earlier badges which seems different to the more modern versions....

post-25609-0-78931400-1315728320.jpg

post-25609-0-60158400-1315728359.jpg

post-25609-0-97580500-1315728395.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cpl Robert D Allen M.M.and Bar 6TH Royal Highlanders.

Written on the reverse. In France in Hospital Bob. 21.9.1917.

6th BW History spells his name Allen cards written by him are spelt Allan.

cplallan1.jpg

allan4.jpg.

By sheer chance came across this letter and sweetheart on ebay. The letter from Pte Allan to his sister asking her to look after his watch & pocket book

and enclosing a sweetheart badge. The 1/6th were in Bedford April/ May 1915.

Ron.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great photo Ron. Must be a few of the Aberfeldy lads there. Is it me or do the soldiers look a bit weary? Must be even harder work being a piper, up that hill.

Mike