Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

It is not unusual for Officers in Scottish regiments to wear O/R's badges when at the front, and keeping their more expensive badges for more formal occasions.

Of course he may not have been wearing his Glengarry when he was killed, but it may have been in his pocket or somewhere else about his person.

Regards,

Stewart

apologies, it is Lance Corporal W Mollison from Monifieth

Mamk1

These are some notes I have, I hope its your man.

Mollison, William, Sgt S/8953 9th Bn. The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). Entered in POW book Dundee Library.Prisoner of war. Camp not recorded. Mother Mrs Reid, Cluoran, Panmure Stree, Monifieth. Recorded as RAF on 1914-18 Monifieth Roll. Report in the Dundee Advertiser July 3 1917, that William was missing, he failed to return from a flight over the German lines on June 21 1917. He was a grocer prior to enlisting and employed with Mr Alex Henderson, Monifieth. It appears he was attached to the RFC from the 9th Black Watch and not in the RAF as the Roll of Honour indicates. His medal card says he is BW.

Tom

Ron,

There is a picture of William Muir Clark on post 45. He is an ex-ranker. He was killed in action on Flesquieres Ridge. The pictures of the action show the Highland Division wearing uncovered tin hats with brigade markers painted on the helmet.

Aye

Tom McC

• 5 months later...
The funeral of piper McDonald,anyone have any information on this man?

Ron.

Hi Ron,

Piper MacDonald DCM was my great uncle. Some information posted is not correct. He enlisted at Dundee in 1909 not New Zealand. He was never in new Zealand but his wife must have visited some time after his death. I have details if anyone is interested. I am new to this forum so am just finding my way. Found the post regarding Alexander while searching for more details of the Battle of Loos 1915 and then searching for Alexanders name.

Flo (Flora) Chisnall formerly MacDonald

G'Day

Do you have any photographs of the Black Watch 8th battalion. I am looking for L/Cpl Allan Cunningham of Dundee

Killed in action Oct 19th 1916.

Any info much appreciated

thanks, Jean

• 11 months later...

Royal Highlanders Sgt anyone know the significance of the lanyard.Where are his stripes

scan0010-4.jpg

Ron,

I think he is a private wearing a senior ranks sporran. I don't think he is a sgt as his pocket is undone and is carrying an ORs stick. He may have been in the transport section hence the lanyard.

Tom

Ron

Good to see you posting on site again.

That was how a Tam o Shanter was worn.

I am trying to post but my pics are to large,how do I reduce them? so as I can post?

Joe

Ron

very good photo of a piper,very well turned out. Thanks for the advice will try that.

1914 - Quartermaster-Sergeant, Shirran C Company, 8th Service Battalion Black Watch, any photos of the 8th Bn, my self and an other member of the GW site is researching

CQMS George Shirran.

Many Thanks

Joe

Unusual card with small portraits of Sgts?

Qvc at top and scroll below look to be photographs of a Victorian badge.

On the reverse is written L.O.Keeffe Dec 25.24.

Plenty of WW1 trios on show but no collar badges worn.

I wonder if anyone knows which Batn.?

4 more posts to follow.

Ron.

offsphoto.jpg

2nd post of card.

Ron.

offsphoto2.jpg

3rd post.

Ron.

offsphoto3.jpg

4th post.

offsphoto4.jpg

4th post.

offsphoto4.jpg

4th post.

offsphoto4.jpg

Great photos Ron. Any information on the photograph in post # 474? When you say T6RH does the T stand for Territorial, or something else. The man 2nd from the right back row looks like a man I am researching. Pte 265474 William Clogg Signaller 1/6th Black Watch

v6he8m.jpg2ajnqte.jpg

What do you reckon?

Mike