Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Ron a very good photo,where is Carlingnose Camp? or is it Carlingford across the water from Warrenpoint Co Down?

Joe

Hi Joe. It's somewhere in the hills about North Queensferry, not sure of exact location. Some info Here

" The site of the camp is the rising ground behind the Forth bridge midway between Inverkeithing and North Queensferry "

Mike

Another from Carlingnose Camp.

The drum major on the left is a Gordon Highlander. No doubt he was an instructor for those drummer boys, they look very young to me.

What was the age limits for boy entrants in the T.F?

carlinose4.jpg

Hello

does anyone know why a soldier would have two numbers written on his medal card.

my great uncle William Mcandrew of the 7th batallion black watch and killed in action 21st march 1918 has two numbers written on his medal card

4397 and 40020

thanks in advance for any info

mags

Hello

does anyone know why a soldier would have two numbers written on his medal card.

my great uncle William Mcandrew of the 7th batallion black watch and killed in action 21st march 1918 has two numbers written on his medal card

4397 and 40020

thanks in advance for any info

mags

Hello Mags,

I have just looked at The History of The Black Watch in the great war 1914-1918( VOL 2 ) page 330

it has Pte McAndrews W,S/40020 KIA 26-3 1918 but only one number

regards

Ian

hello ian

is this the book by wauchope?

does it have any other info

thanks in advance

mags

mags send me a PM

Ian

Hi Joe. It's somewhere in the hills about North Queensferry, not sure of exact location. Some info Here

" The site of the camp is the rising ground behind the Forth bridge midway between Inverkeithing and North Queensferry "

Mike

Thanks Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joe,

Is he no fae the Scottish Horse (by this time absorbed into The Black Watch)? Look at the three vertical cuff buttons particular to the Yeomanry.

Aye,

Tom McC

• 3 weeks later...

Ron,

I was browsing through this thread today and, I am surprised none of us picked up on Major-General George Montague Harper of Highland Division fame [post No. 198. He was the GOC 51st Highland Division and he's the one wearing an SD cap paying some attention to the woolly-looking dog.

Aye,

Tom McC

[Copy of your photo is attached]

PS - Follow the link below to a mini-Biog' of G M Harper on Lieutenant Colonal Edward De Santis' site:

http://www.reubique.com/harper.htm

post-10175-0-22600600-1326022614.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some assistance please friends.

This chap, Gerard Hudson, hails from Brighton but left the UK permantly for a job in South Africa in 1904. He served in East Africa during WW1 but as a member of the South African forces.

As the uniform appears to (my untrained eye) be Black Watch, would this picture have been taken pre 1904 whilst he was still living in the UK or were there at the time units in South Africa wearing this uniform? Could he therefore have been a member of a local unit with a Black Watch uniform and the picture taken in South Africa or would dating the picture to pre 1904 seem more accurate.

The closest match to Gerard's uniform was the one posted by Ron #244 on page 10 showing Harry Walker? Any comment on the uniform worn by Gerard would be appreciated.

Please refer to post #638.

I have now established that the picture of Gerard Hudson was taken in the UK (and not in South Africa) either whilst doing his Engineering apprenticeship and training in Glasgow (1891- 1898) or working in London (1898-1902). Could any of the Black Watch experts on the forum suggest where I should be seeking assistance in establishing which unit of the Black Watch Gerard could possibly have been a member of at the time when the picture was taken, ie during the period 1891-1902?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Kallag

Hello Kallag,

Gerard Hudson is not recorded as having been an officer in The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders); either serving as a: regular, militia/SR, or Volunteer/TF. May I suggest that the gentleman in the picture is possibly Glasgow Highlanders? The chap in the photo is in Review Order, so I would expect to see him in a feather bonnet – bearing in mind he is dressed as an officer. Has the cap badge been coloured over with a black felt pen?

Aye,

Tom McC

MAC1-12-1.jpg

MAC1-13.jpg

My Great-Grandfather Sgt. John MacLeod, middle row 4th from left in top photo, seated 2nd from right in bottom photo. Officers and NCO's of the 9th (Scottish) Division, or is that too broad? He was in the 8th Battalion Black Watch. I think the photo is just labelled as 'Sergeants of the Black Watch', which tells us pretty much nothing.