Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ronmarsden

Thanks truthergw, although I already knew that thumbsup.png. He was in 'A' company, acting Sergeant Major at Arras. My Great-Grandfather actually started the war in the 1st Black Watch, but somehow ended up in the 8th. I guess the picture is just of the 8th Battalion.

• 1 month later...

MAC1-12-1.jpg

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if I'm wrong in judging this to be about a Company's-worth of officers and NCO's? And more importantly, does it look like it was taken in France or Britain?

• 2 months later...

Sincerely hoping that this is not a lost cause...

In the photo's I posted, everyone has their stripes for rank on both sleeves of their tunic, where as my Great Grandfather only has the striped on his one sleeve. Now, my understanding is that the ceremonial tunic has stripes on one side only, where as a man's combat tunic has the stripes on both sides. I don't claim to know this to be definitive. But I would be forever grateful to anyone who could explain this to me in better detail. I know that my GGF was likely promoted to Sergeant while back in Britain after being wounded in 1914, and I don't believe he went back into action until 1916 at the Somme. So would the single-sided Sergeant stripes be indicative of a man serving in non-combat duty (clerk at paymasters office to be specific), and he perhaps did not receive the proper tunic for full Sergeant until much later? Later, more personal photos of him before going into the Arras Offensive (and getting mortally wounded) seem to feature a tunic with stripes on both sides as well as the metallic-buttoned thistle of the 9th (Scottish) Division, which I don't believe officially became their symbol until later in the war.

Any ways, apologies for the novel, but the tunic issue has captured my attention and I'd love to get some info to make solid conclusions as I finish my first draft of his biography. Cheers all.

Hi Jesse, can't help with the tunic etc, but for what it's worth, the building in the photograph looks to have the French style bricks.

Mike

Thanks Skipman, I'm glad to get another bit of evidence to suggest that the photo is in France. The photo itself is from a postcard which is in my family's possession, so I guess that could also suggest it was in France rather than Scotland. I haven't seen the original postcard yet so I do not know if it's from 1916 or 1917.

• 2 years later...
Guest julalouise

Hello,

I am very, very new to this forum, so I hope my question isn't inappropriate or in the wrong place!

Looking at the very many Black Watch glengarry badges you see on offer on Ebay and offered by vendors on the internet, I have the greatest trouble to feel at ease whilst looking for a WW1 period officers glengarry badge.

Some badges, advertised as a badge belonging to an officer of the period, are easily recognised (even by me) as not how they should look like. With most offers however, I struggle because I simply don't have enough knowledge to be sure.

When I see the astounding collection posted by ronmarsden and the great knowledge behind such a collection, I would love some pointers,

things to make sure of, to be able to start small collection of badges worn by members this proud regiment during the Great War.

Kind regards, Jula-Louise

Black Watch badges are very difficult to date because the general pattern that contains scrolls and a King's Crown was in use 1902-1937. An occasional officer's badge may be hallmarked to indicate date, but these are very rare. There was a brass economy issue of OR badges during WW1, but these are also scarce.

The best place to enter your query that will get ronmarden's attention is on The Black Watch Forum.

• 1 year later...

Anonymous Sgt.

Anonymous Sgt. Sorry for reposting photo but is this a 9th Batt Black Watch Sergeant cheers Sean

anonsgt-1.jpg

anonsgt-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Supermarine

Here is a picture of my grandfather (front left) LCp John G. Archibald (7th Bn RHR, S/N1225) taken in Bedford in April 1915. Unfortunately his service record at Kew was destroyed during WWII, but I do have his medal card. He was in the TA prior to the war. Would that record have been kept with the regiment, and might sill be available to study? However, the main reason I'm posting this picture is to see if anyone could identify the other soldiers in the picture. John was from Leslie, so would the other soldier be from Leslie too, would they be friends, or just the next three in the photography studio's queue? Any comments would be gratefully received.

post-125392-0-13719400-1447344642_thumb.

post-125392-0-83699600-1447346403_thumb.

Excellent photos.

The black watch museum have no soldiers records.

If they are Leslie men, or even fifers from the 6th btn, they may have photos in the Fife newspapers if they were injured, killed or recevied a gallantry award.

• 2 weeks later...
Good evening

this is a sporran I own :

front :
dsc_0025.jpg

dsc_0026.jpg

markings on the belt :

dsc_0027.jpg

markings on the rear :

dsc_0029.jpg

A MACHENZIE

+ SADDLER +

EDINBURGH

Bugler Joe Wilson

A Company

4 V B R H

PERTH

is it possible to find a photo of this man?
he has participated in WW1?

Thank you in advance for your help.

thank's in advance

regards

:poppy:

michel

• 5 months later...

Great pictures, Gary. Any info on times. places, specific BW battalions?

I`m still looking for clues but one or two have wee hints I`m looking into . I`ll post any information I come up with ( if any )

Saying that the first card has the date 26th July 1915 ( Hawick ) on the rear.

Gary

• 8 months later...

Awesome photos in this thread. I know it's been dead for awhile but I'll ad a few of my Royal Highlanders.

Unsure of his battalion, but I am guessing the 8th due to the coloured arch on his shoulder?

Black Watchguy.jpg

A "Gay lad" from Perth and another member of the Black Watch with a friend. 

PerthWatch.jpg

PerthWatch2.jpg

RH.jpg

Edited by AmericanTommy

• 3 years later...
On 21/06/2008 at 20:59, ronmarsden said:

Thought I would sneek in a pre-war Territorial battalion,cant make out any title numbers but that monument on top

of the hill might be a clue to the location. They seen to be drinking pints of porter or stout, could the guy in a slouch hat be a Boer war veteran?

post-12169-1214078390.jpg

The man indicated is Peter McFarlane No. 190/265011 6th Battalion Black Watch, from Hill Street, Crieff

Peter McFarlane.jpg

On 11/11/2008 at 17:20, ronmarsden said:

T6/RH with the piper wearing the plaid brooch and baldrick badge of the 4th Perthshire Vol Battalion.

Ron.

Dont know whal happened there will try to load again.

Ron.

post-12169-1226423936.jpg

The man indicated is Fred Chadwick No. 509. A Lancashire lad he was working as a clerk in the Board of Works, Dublin before the outbreak of war.

Fred Chadwick.jpg

On 23/04/2011 at 11:15, Lachlan said:

This is my Granddad, James Gow, 6th Batt Black Watch and a colleague

Another of my Granddad's 6th Black Watch colleagues.

post-60205-0-54871600-1303553621.jpg

post-60205-0-49626000-1303553740.jpg

Botton picture is of John B. Baldie No. 2819 6th Black Watch - KIA 26/09/1915

On 29/04/2011 at 09:18, ronmarsden said:

T6RH in the mess tent.

t6rhmess.jpg

Man indicated is James Moran No. 1383 6th Black Watch KIA - 14/04/1916

James Moran.jpg

On 10/11/2011 at 20:36, ronmarsden said:

Another from Carlingnose Camp.

The drum major on the left is a Gordon Highlander. No doubt he was an instructor for those drummer boys, they look very young to me.

What was the age limits for boy entrants in the T.F?

carlinose4.jpg

Lad indicated is Ferguson Stewart No. 1346 6th Black Watch - KIA 30/07/1916

Ferguson Stewart.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 15/08/2008 at 17:26, ronmarsden said:

More from the Tattoo:

Ron.

post-12169-1218817548.jpg

Hi All,

Further to researching a family legend/ myth. If this is the 2nd Btn RSM from 1924, does anyone know how I could identify his name? Any help appreciated. 

regards

Rich