Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

thanks for your reply b.jay, maybe one to add to your records, richard henry williams , private 53192,, r.a.m.c. date 11.7.15. service 2a/b ? balkins , mesopatania, baghdad. medals , b.w.m.,,,v ,,1915 star. 13TH div ? any updates from anyone gratefully accepted , thanks .

Hi

I have some info and pictures relating to RAMC men from Belfast ... see the links in my sig.

Are you also interested in IMC? I have data on Sir John Alexander Sinton VC ... the only member of the Royal Society to hold the VC!

Send me a PM if you want any info. or copies of pictures.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thank you very much for your offer. I have just had a quick look at the links in your signature but my system has starting running slow so I'll have another look later and then send you a PM - probably tomorrow.

I do have some info on the IMC, which my father collected, but as there were so many in the RAMC I've decided to concentrate on them only.

Thanks again

Barbara

I am trying to find out a bit more info on my wifes Grandfather, Frederick Henry Nicholls. He was R.A.M.C. and according to his medal card was part of the B.E.F. His army number was 538. I can't find his attestation papers or any other records so I don't know what unit he served with. BTW he was also issued with a Silver War Badge but we don't know what wounds he received or where he got them. Any help would be gratefully received.

Would I be allowed to post an image of his medal card? There are quite a few numbers etc that I don't understand.

I am trying to find out a bit more info on my wifes Grandfather, Frederick Henry Nicholls. He was R.A.M.C. and according to his medal card was part of the B.E.F. His army number was 538. I can't find his attestation papers or any other records so I don't know what unit he served with. BTW he was also issued with a Silver War Badge but we don't know what wounds he received or where he got them. Any help would be gratefully received.

Would I be allowed to post an image of his medal card? There are quite a few numbers etc that I don't understand.

Hi

There is no need to post an image of the medal card as I can see it on Ancestry.

Your Grandfather, 528 Pte Frederick Henry Nicholls, was a regular and was attached to the 1st Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers when he entered the war in France on 14th August 1914. This means he was part of the Regimental Medical Officers team, working in the Regimental Aid Post.

I have attached a link here to Chris Baker's page on the Long, Long Trail, which explains in detail what all the wording means on the Medal index cards. The Silver War Badge Roll - RAMC/1455 - held at the National Archive, Kew, will provide some details about your grandfather's SWB but it will not explain the wounds he received or how he got them. The best place to start searching is the 1st Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers war diary as he may be mentioned in there if he was wounded. There is a possibility that he may have transfered away to a different unit before he was wounded though - best to keep an open mind and look through the diary for clues. I would also check archived local newspapers in the area he was living at the time as they often printed articles about local men being wounded.

I hope that helps

Barbara

Good Evening.

Do you have anything on a chap called Humphries, F,T. Pte R.A.M.C killed 24/03/1918.

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy

He is already listed on my website, his profile is here Unfortunately that's the only information I have come across so far. Keep checking the profile though because any further info I do get will be added there.

Barbara

82 images (including servicemen pictures and newspaper clippings from Belfast newspapers) relating to RAMC can be viewed here:

http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae272/Fitzroy_WW1/RAMC/#!cpZZ4QQtppZZ20

I hope to be updating this gallery with more RAMC servicemen as I trawl through the Belfast Evening Telegraph editions from the Great War.

Please feel free to use as much or as little as you need.

Nigel

hi all , does any one have any records for the field ambulance , 129,130,131, covering the date of 20/3/16....tried the war diarys forum. looking for 13th bat royal welsh fusiliers 38th. think im right 129,130,131 served with them . any info gratefully accepted .

One to add, Frederick Ernest Coldman, has two sets of surviving records http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=BritishArmy%2c&rank=0&gsfn=frederick&gsln=coldman&sx=&=%2c%2c%2c&gs1co=1%2cAll+Countries&gs1pl=1%2c+&year=&yearend=&sbo=0&sbor=&srchb=r&prox=1&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=0&h=834934&recoff=1+3+14+16 and http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=BritishArmy%2c&rank=0&gsfn=frederick&gsln=coldman&sx=&=%2c%2c%2c&gs1co=1%2cAll+Countries&gs1pl=1%2c+&year=&yearend=&sbo=0&sbor=&srchb=r&prox=1&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=1&h=834933&recoff=1+3

Born Epsom 2nd quarter 1886, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=kxbPyHtQtfYn6OwONFNufg&scan=1.

1891 Census: 5, at 12 Providence Road, Class: RG12; Piece: 547; Folio 41; Page 23; GSU roll: 6095657.. With parents, four brothers and two sisters. Father a carpenter.

1901 Census: 15, telegraph messenger, 23 Providence Place, RG13 583 50 20 138. With widowed mother, Esther, and three brothers.

1911 Census: Frederick, 25, gardener domestic, 23 ALBERT ROAD EPSOM, RG14PN2962 RG78PN102 RD31 SD2 ED15 SN167. With his wife, Harriet, of under a year.

My summary of his army service is: Attested 23 April 1915 to 3/3 Home Counties Field Ambulance, number 3560 (later renumbered 88875) 29 yrs 1 month, gardener, first resided out of father's house at Monkey? Bridge, Whitmore Common, Worplesdon? Guildford. Married. 5'6.5”, 35.5” chest 2.5”, mole left thigh. expansion Posted BEF 18 November 1916, embarked Southampton, disembarked Rouen 20 November, to No 1 Territorial Base Depot. Posted to 14? Field Ambulance 28 November 1916. Admitted 142 Field Ambulance Pyrexia of Unknown Origin, 19 March 1917 transferred to 36 Field Ambulance same day. Seems to be with 142 FA later, granted leave 17-30 December 1917, but did not return to unit until 06:30 am on 31 December, admonished and forfeited 2 days pay. 3 December 1918 admitted 486 FA dental caries, transferred 55 CCS 6 December, discharged 11 December. Leave 5 – 19 January 1919. Home 20 January 1919. Disembodied 14 February 1919, discharged 12 October 1919. Qualified for two blue overseas chevrons, qualified as a cook. Reenlisted Military Foot Police under AO 238 1919, 9 or 12 October 1919 at Guildford, for one year discharged 16 December 1920, number P.18975. Army number 7682690. On reenlistment states that he is separated from wife, address 2 West View, Watson Road, Westcott, Dorking. Appointed a lance Corporal, 9 October 1919. Served with Black Sea Force (Allied Police Commission) 16 April 1920 – 17 October 1920, returning to Southampton on HMT Kildonnan Castle. Brother was at the West view address too, wife at Pitch Place Worplesdon. On reenlistement, 37.5” chest 2” exp, 148lbs fresh complexion, grey eyes, brown hair.

MIC http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2024392

I came across him while researching the Roll of Honour of the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers, I believe he is the F Coldman listed as a ringer at St Martin's Epsom.

Nigel

Thank you so so much for these. I will start working on them asap.

Barbara

Barbara,

I have a few postcards sent by my grandfather Private William Rees. He went through the Great War from about May 1915 in the RAMC.

He was sizeable ( 6 foot 2) and was given the option of joining either the Welsh Guards or the RAMC. I have been told that a troopship of RAMC personnel had just been sunk off Malta (by a submarine? )so there was a specific need. He chose the RAMC and went into the 92nd Field Ambulance.( New Army) I have photos of the 92nd Ambulance, their commanding officer Lt. Col Bradish and the specific ambulance cart and some locations. I also have a diary ( in Welsh) showing pretty much all of his locations.He , and the ambulance and water carts were at pretty many of the major pushes from the end of 1915 until the end of the war. After 1918 he then went on to join the occupation on the Rhine. I can send some of the postcards scanned in if this would be of use or interest to you.

Geoffrey

hi all , does any one have any records for the field ambulance , 129,130,131, covering the date of 20/3/16....tried the war diarys forum. looking for 13th bat royal welsh fusiliers 38th. think im right 129,130,131 served with them . any info gratefully accepted .

I can confirm that the 129th, 130th and 131st Field Ambulances were attached to the 38th Division but do not have any specific information covering the date 20th March 1916. It might be better to post the query separately as this thread is mainly about personnel - you may get a better response from other members.

Good luck.

Barbara,

I have a few postcards sent by my grandfather Private William Rees. He went through the Great War from about May 1915 in the RAMC.

He was sizeable ( 6 foot 2) and was given the option of joining either the Welsh Guards or the RAMC. I have been told that a troopship of RAMC personnel had just been sunk off Malta (by a submarine? )so there was a specific need. He chose the RAMC and went into the 92nd Field Ambulance.( New Army) I have photos of the 92nd Ambulance, their commanding officer Lt. Col Bradish and the specific ambulance cart and some locations. I also have a diary ( in Welsh) showing pretty much all of his locations.He , and the ambulance and water carts were at pretty many of the major pushes from the end of 1915 until the end of the war. After 1918 he then went on to join the occupation on the Rhine. I can send some of the postcards scanned in if this would be of use or interest to you.

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey

Thank you for your post. I am definitely interested in any images and/or photographs you are happy to share. I am also interested in your grandfather's war details, can you advise his service number? I have one photograph of some of the personnel from the 92nd Field Ambulance - no names unfortunately but it will be interesting to see if they appear in any photographs you have.

Regards

Barbara

Barbara, forgot his marriage details: Married Harriett Herbourn in Guildford RD, 2nd quarter 1910, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=h1z65B%2B%2FeFUnd5VWnPcNoQ&scan=1 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=IfpL7cq0GyyhP3fUgC2z0g&scan=1 (Worplesdon 4 June 1916 per army record)

There are several men on the roll who are recorded as having served with RAMC, but for most I haven't managed to definitively link the man I've identified from census records as being most likely for the bellringer with their army service - the usual problem of missing service records, and common names making it hard to be sure I've picked the correct medal card. I'll let you know what I do have when I've finished going through the roll.

Thanks David.

I have now set up a profile for Frederick Ernest Coldman, which can be found here - http://www.ramc-ww1.com/profile.php?profile_id=9734

Just a couple of bits to add to your research and that is he enlisted into the Territorial Force but transferred to the regular army on 27th September 1916, which is why his army number changed from 3560 to 88875.

I looked through the service record but due to not having much time at the moment have copied your research from the census forms, I hope I have understood and transferred it over ok. If I haven't please do let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

Barbara