Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

:) I'm amazed

Like most, I guess, I was really moved the first time I went to the Western Front. So many cemeteries, with so many headstones, and so many names of men with no known graves :( I just can't let it go.

Ever since that time I have wanted to set up a RAMC database, mainly to commemorate the Corps but to also give something back to a generation that lost so much by keeping the names of those who served alive. Against the advice of others that it is too big a task (they are right of course) I am plodding on and am adding daily to an access database.

It is still very early days with so much more information to add, I haven't even scratch the surface but if I highlight a column and click on A/Z I am starting to see numbering systems forming, specific drafts of men who were sent to serve with other RAMC units and specific drafts of RAMC men from certain RAMC Units who were transferred to other regiments. I can also see men from the same unit being killed on the same day and/or winning awards, which will lead me to investigate specific battles. It really is starting to produce some very interesting results and much more than I first intended.

Sorry, just had to tell someone. I am soooooo excited. :D

Hi,

Sounds interesting...I'm ex RAMC are you ex too?

Do you have any info on your database on

65731 Private Frank Hull of C Company 102 Field Ambulance believed to be the youngest RAMC casualty of the Great War age 17. Buried at Heilly on the Somme?

Have you found anyone younger?

Sorry,

Forgot to add, do you know Pete Starling at the Museum at Keogh?

He's a member of this forum and also interested in Corps history?

"Do you have any info on your database on

65731 Private Frank Hull of C Company 102 Field Ambulance believed to be the youngest RAMC casualty of the Great War age 17. Buried at Heilly on the Somme?"

I am sure Bjay will not mind me advertising her website: RAMC

Re Frank Hull he may well have been a comrade of my Grandfather, 64457 John Duncan who was also 102 Field Ambulance, I have came across the attestation papers of men around the same service number as my Grandfather and they enlisted August,1915 before transferring to Llandridnodd Wells in Wales to undergo training, they appear to have went to France late 1915 / early 1916.

I have done a quick check and found a chap from York - Walter Goldsmith Pte 65733 he joined up with the RAMC in York on September, 18th 1915 and was transferred to T Company 102nd FA so this is probably very close to Frank's enlsitment date.

John

Hi BJay,

This task may no be as daunting as you might think. You need to tackle it piecemeal and build a list of names in MS Excel which can be later imported into other software packages.

The easiest way to start would be to form a list of names and regimental numbers. Start with surnames beginning with A, then B, then C etc etc. Use the medal index card database on the TNA web site. That contains around 190681 men just to get you started. :)

When you have all of these men recorded you will then need to fill in the gaps with those men of the medical corps which did not serve overseas. This will not be so easy but by collecting the information from the TNA MIC database you should start to find gaps in regimental numbering systems, thus the men who did not serve overseas.

Good luck with your project,

Steve.

Hi n cherry

No I'm not ex RAMC but I know Peter Starling through my father, who served for years in a Territorial Unit.

I don't have any information about Pte Hull on the database as yet but I'll look and see if I can trace anything on him.

The youngest I've found so far is

73246 Pte BURN Joseph Baxter

3 Stationary Hospital

Born: Sunderland Durham

Enlisted: Sunderland

Died 28/07/1916

Age 18

Buried St Sever Cemetery, Rouen

I'll send you a PM if I find anyone younger than Pte Hull.

Hi Max (UK)

Yes my database will be available on line.

I do have part of the database on line already, which my family tried to help me build but we were not that successful. I have finally found a qualified website designer who is helping me build a good website with a searchable database. Hopefully you can all view the information on there yourselves when it is up and running properly. I'll let people know when it goes live, it will have what I've keyed so far but I will adding all the time as there are so many. :lol: I guess I've jumped the gun but I can't believe how useful this database is proving to be.

Barbara

I am sure Bjay will not mind me advertising her website: RAMC

John

Thanks John. The new designer website will be at the same location but I'm not sure when, hopefully soon.

Good luck with your project,

Steve.

Thanks Yellow, that is good advice.

I thought it best to put the database out live now because there are so many and it will take me years to find all that can be found.

I have tried to stick to a certain formate of adding information but keep getting sidetracked and going off on a different angle :) Getting the names on first is an excellent idea.

Cheers

Barbara

Hi,

Do you have anything on a Lawson Jackson Parker? He is my Great Great Uncle, and the only correlating mention for him seems to be with the RAMC.

I have been researching the men of my mothers home town - Strathaven, and have come across some RAMC men - details are listed below - hope that are of some help to your database.

Noble Robinson. RAMC. From Avondale.

Robert Robertson. Sgt.RAMC. From Castle St, Strathaven.

G.N.Strachan.Sgt.RAMC.From Commercial Rd, Strathaven.Awarded Croix de Virtute Militara.Mentioned in Dispatches.

Thomas B Vallance.Pte.RAMC.From Burnside Cottage.Avondale.

James Vallance.Major.RAMC.From Burnside Cottage.Avondale.

John Craig.Dr.RAMC. (My Great Great Uncle).Born in Strathaven.Later practised as Dr in Ashton, Manchester.

There may be more names, but will have to have a dig about.

"The easiest way to start would be to form a list of names and regimental numbers. Start with surnames beginning with A, then B, then C etc etc. Use the medal index card database on the TNA web site. That contains around 190681 men just to get you started. "

Here's an idea why don't we look for volunteers to extrapolate information from the MIC's , the biggest problem is you cannot put in A* in the surname field it looks for 2 characters before the wildcard , so Aa, Ab, Ac etc.

ie Aa

Medal card of Aarons, William

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

Regiment No: 18904

1914-1920 WO 372/1

Medal card of Aarons, S

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps 13th General Hospital

1914-1920 WO 372/1

this is easily chopped down / modified by removing the end two colums and the replace function to:

Name Aarons, William

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

Name Aarons, S

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps 13th General Hospital

So 676 , (well 675 that is Aa done), volunteers required, what brave soul will take on Mc :blink:

John

Hi,

Do you have anything on a Lawson Jackson Parker? He is my Great Great Uncle, and the only correlating mention for him seems to be with the RAMC.

I have been researching the men of my mothers home town - Strathaven, and have come across some RAMC men - details are listed below - hope that are of some help to your database.

Only his service no 62929 - Pte L J Parker

Thanks for the list of other men, I'll try and trace some information on them. I already have Thomas B Vallance though, he enlisted into the 1st Lowland Divisional Field Ambulance. Territorial but I don't have which unit.

I'll add the information to my database when I've traced them. Do you want me to credit the names to you?

Thanks again

Barbara

what brave soul will take on Mc :blink:

John

Me :) but I'm not panicking, coz 'M' is in the middle of the alphabet. If I do A - N and then work from Z backwards I should reach M when I'm in my 60s and retired :D

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for looking up about L J Parker. I have another name for your database-

Pte Adam Dickson.88365.94th Field Ambulance.Died 15/04/1918.Age 28.Buried Longuenesse Souvenir Cem (St Omer). Son of Adam Lawrie Dickson and Maggie Lang Dickson of Strathaven.Husband of Isabella Brown Dickson of Strathaven.

Hope that is some help to your database. No need to credit the names to me, as they are all credits to themselves.

Best wishes

Nick

Barbara

would you like a copy of my data base that I use to update the Roll of Honour medical database

Chris

Hope that is some help to your database. No need to credit the names to me, as they are all credits to themselves.

Nick

:) Thanks Nick, really appreciated.

Barbara

would you like a copy of my data base that I use to update the Roll of Honour medical database

Chris

Thanks Chris, our projects do overlap a bit with the RAMC men who did not survive :blush:

Actually, I'll send you a PM tomorrow :)

Cheers

Barbara

The youngest I've found so far is

There are a number age 17, about 7 or 8 are casualties at Gallipoli, however these are the youngest I have found:

Name: PERRETT, DENNIS VICTOR

Initials: D V

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 99th Field Amb

Date of Death: 01/04/1916

Service No: 66271

Additional Information: Son of Edwin S. and Edith E. Perrett, of Boldmere Rd., Erdington, Birmingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. E. 8.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: BARROW

Initials: F W

Unit Text: 3rd/2nd (East Lancs.) Field Ambulance

Date of Death: 28/05/1915

Service No: 196

Additional Information: Son of John Frew Barrow and Elizabeth A. Barrow, of 30, Clarence St., Brook's Bar, Manchester. Native of Hulme.

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 36.

Cemetery: LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY

Name: GRIFFITHS, LESLIE

Initials: L

Date of Death: 23/08/1915

Service No: 43242

Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Agnes Griffiths, of 4 Back, 7, Charles Rd., Small Heath, Birmingham.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 199 and 200 or 236 to 239 and 328.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

Name: KILBURN, NELSON

Initials: N

Unit Text: 2nd/2nd East Lancs Field Amb.

Date of Death: 13/08/1915

Service No: 415

Additional Information: Son of Edward and Jane Ann Kilburn, of 10, Warwick St., Burnley.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 199 and 200 or 236 to 239 and 328.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

Name: KEMSLEY

Initials: W

Unit Text: 2nd/1st Home Counties Field Amb.

Date of Death: 10/02/1915

Service No: 2331

Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Kemsley, of 4, Garden Terrace, Halling.

Cemetery: HALLING CHURCH CEMETERY

I have got a photo of F W Barrow's Grave should any one be interested

Chris

Not sure if this is Great War but..

I am trying to find the first name of Captain C Dalton, RAMC, Boer War attached Hussars. He may have served in GW.

I would also be keen to hear of any RAMC men attached to the 14th or 20th Hussars in the GW if you ever (by luck) come across them. Unlikely I know.

Thanks and what a great enterprise you are on!

There are a number age 17, about 7 or 8 are casualties at Gallipoli, however these are the youngest I have found:

Wow, excellent and thank you for sharing.

You guys are putting me to shame :blush::)

Barbara

I would also be keen to hear of any RAMC men attached to the 14th or 20th Hussars in the GW if you ever (by luck) come across them. Unlikely I know.

Name: CLARK, ROBERT

Initials: R

Unit Text: attd.

Secondary Regiment: 20th Hussars

Secondary Unit Text: attd.

Date of Death: 07/11/1918

Additional Information: Son of John Clark, late Chief Constable of Hamilton, and Mrs. John Clark; husband of Marion White Clark, of "Clooncommon," Shields Rd., Motherwell, Lanarkshire. M.A., M.B., Ch.B.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 2.

Cemetery: GRAND-FAYT COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Thanks Geoff, I got him. I think I am OK for officers, its the ORs I am unsure of.

Patrick

Not sure if this is Great War but..

I am trying to find the first name of Captain C Dalton, RAMC, Boer War attached Hussars. He may have served in GW.

This is only Capt C Dalton that I can trace so far and if it is your man then his name was Charles Dalton.

RAMC Capt 31st Jan 1891.

Served in Burma 1893

N.W. Frontier, India 1897 - 1898

Sierra Leone 1898 - 1899

South Africa 1899-1900 (severely wounded)

Maj. 31 Jan 1903.

V.H.S. 1908 (For distinguished conduct in the field)

Lt. Col 7th May 1913.

Died of Wounds received in action at Verneuil on 18th September 1914.

RMO T/Capt CLARK Robert 20th Hussars - Died of Wounds 7/11/1918, this is the only one on my database as yet.

Barbara

This is only Capt C Dalton that I can trace so far and if it is your man then his name was Charles Dalton.

RAMC Capt 31st Jan 1891.

Served in Burma 1893

N.W. Frontier, India 1897 - 1898

Sierra Leone 1898 - 1899

South Africa 1899-1900 (severely wounded)

Maj. 31 Jan 1903.

V.H.S. 1908 (For distinguished conduct in the field)

Lt. Col 7th May 1913.

Died of Wounds received in action at Verneuil on 18th September 1914.

Barbara

That sounds like him - a big thanks - excellent!!. My Dalton was wounded in SA.

Just searched CWGC - he was from the 'old country' a Tipperary man - like my grandad (Hussars)!!!

The easiest way to start would be to form a list of names and regimental numbers. Start with surnames beginning with A, then B, then C etc etc. Use the medal index card database on the TNA web site. That contains around 190681 men just to get you started.

Not a bad idea, it works too!

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/RoyalArmyMedicalCorps.html