Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Hi,

I am new to the forum so please popint me in the right direction if this question could be better asked elsewhere.

My grandfather, Cyril Ewart GUITE from Sheffield was a private in the RAMC. His regimental number (from his medal card) was 47954. The theater he first served in was 3/Egypt where he arrived on 27/7/1915. Another post mentionned somebody who arrived on this day and subsequently served in Palestine)On the line for the Victory medal it states RAMC/101/B.7. He also received the 15 star against which it states RAMC/18A. For the British medal the info is the same as for the victory medal. There is no information about service in subsequent theatres but I remember him telling me that he later served in France and also in Italy. He mentionned diptheria and I beleive that he might have either caught the disease or had to nurse it. He was transferred to a hospital (St. David's) in Bangor, N Wales to convalesce I believe.

I would like to find out more about his service in Egypt (Alexandria, I think) and Italy and would like to try to find out his unit. Any information on St David's hospital in the Great War would also be very much appreciated.

I hope this info might be useful for the data base .

Peter

Hello Peter

I haven't yet found a medical unit that arrived in Egypt on the 27th July 1915, however, as I work through the MICs I have come across a few RAMC men who did. The only one who I can trace to a specific unit so far is the 33rd Field Ambulance but that unit entered the war earlier. It is possible that some men were sent as reinforcements but I do not have any information to confirm that as yet. The 33rd certainly entered the war in Egypt and then went over to France, however I do not have any information which states it went to Italy.

The only hospitals I have in Bangor are Bodlondeb and Penrhyn Cottage. It might be worth asking the question in the Home Section as not everyone looks into this thread.

Barbara

Hello Peter

I haven't yet found a medical unit that arrived in Egypt on the 27th July 1915, however, as I work through the MICs I have come across a few RAMC men who did. The only one who I can trace to a specific unit so far is the 33rd Field Ambulance but that unit entered the war earlier. It is possible that some men were sent as reinforcements but I do not have any information to confirm that as yet. The 33rd certainly entered the war in Egypt and then went over to France, however I do not have any information which states it went to Italy.

The only hospitals I have in Bangor are Bodlondeb and Penrhyn Cottage. It might be worth asking the question in the Home Section as not everyone looks into this thread.

Barbara

Hello Barbara,

thanks for the information. I will flag the 33 rd field Ambulance as a possible. Another possibility is that he was attached to one of the base Hospitals (or were they known as static hospitals?). I shall keep scratching away at this one!

Peter

Bruce,

Saw your post re students at Liverpool uni, thought you might like the details on Arthur Hartland, I have sent these details to the RAMC database some months ago, feel free to use them on any website, I have copyright.

Regards

Harry

Pte Arthur Hartland

No.62767

94th Field Ambulance

Royal Army Medical Corps

(attached 31st [New Army] Division)

Born : Widnes, Lancashire.

Enlisted : Widnes.

Resided : 116 Oakland Street, West Bank, Widnes.

Killed in action in France on 12th April, 1918, aged 24.

Buried at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, Plot 1, Row F, Grave

4. Commemorated at St Mary`s Church.

The son of Job & Hannah Hartland, Arthur was one of their three sons to die

in the Great War, his two elder brothers dying in 1916 and earlier in 1918,

George was killed in action in France in October, 1916 and William died of

illness in India in July, 1918.

He was an old boy of the West Bank Council School and won a scholarship to

the Widnes Secondary School and gained many distinctions. Eventually going

to Liverpool University and graduating with an BA (Hons) in History.

He joined the RAMC in August, 1915 and went to Egypt in November that year

and to France in 1916. A member of St Mary`s Mission and the Secretary and

teacher of the Sunday School, he was a medical orderly and was killed

instantly by shrapnel while he was tending the wounded at the dressing

station.#

# WWN 1918.

Dear Harry

Many thanks for this, which I will incorporate.

I went to his headstone in September this year, and laid a poppy.

Another man who I am getting to know!

Thanks

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Barbara:

Here's another one for your list.

Pte Mark Thomas Alford #3680 RAMC CEF??

This was my maternal Grandfather who signed up in Calgary Alberta Canada???

I know very little of his war service except that he was possibly gassed but survived to live well into his 80's. In fact his cause of death was being hit by a car while crossing the road at night. The Autopsy stated that his vital organs were that of a 40 yr old man. His medals include the 14/15 Star the BWM and the VM. Any information about his service years would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Aye

Mitch

101st Field Ambulance, served in France and Flanders Nov 1915 - May 1919

I have mentioned this in another GWF forum, but I will here as well: I have transcribed the whole of the regimental diary for this unit, and would be happy to look up any names and to give information. I have a database of 324 RAMC and 33 ASC attached personnel of the 101st. I also have images of the headstones or memorials for all the RAMC who were lost when serving with the 101st F A. (All triggered because my father served in France with the 101st from 16 Aug 1916 until he was wounded 23 October 1918 and sent back to Blighty). I hope to make both these resources more widely available when more checking has been completed.

John

Here's one from my database to add to the list:

Medal Index Card:

Swarbrick John W., R.A.M.C., Private, 71746

Victory medal

British medal

Additional Information from WO 363 S2919

John William Swarbrick

RAMC no. 71746 [Depot Reserve Battalion]

Born 1896 at Buxton, Derbyshire

Address for pay: 33, Croweston Buxton, Derbyshire

Theatre of war: Western

Enlisted 23-10-1915

Age 19 years 9 months

Trade: Theological student

Height 5 ft 5 ½ inches

Weight 128 lbs

Chest 34 ½ inches

Expansion 2 ½ inches

Embarked Southampton 2-6-1916 with unit

Disembarked Havre 3-6-1916

Leave 28-12-1917 until 7-1-1918 14 days

Posted to England 27-6-1918 and posted to Cadet Distribution Depot 63, Fitzjohn’s Avenue, Hampstead, NW1 with a view to commission in the Royal Air Force with: HQ RAF 929/333 [A] 28/6/1918

Dave Swarbrick

Hi Mitch and Dave

Just to say thanks for the information on Pte Alford and Pte Swarbrick. I am unable to access my database at the moment as I am away from my research. I will add them over the weekend and will come back to you then.

Cheers, and happy new year everyone.

Barbara

Dave

I have looked through Pte Swarbrick's service record and have now added him to the RAMC database. I can add to the above that he served with the 135th Field Ambulance.

Mitch

Your grandfather is not on my database as yet so I have not traced any info in my research. I have checked his MIC and it states he entered the war in France on the 9th January 1915 but was discharged on the 19th November 1915, so he did not serve with the RAMC for very long in the field. I've checked my database for other men arriving on that date but so far only have two, one arrived on a hospital ship [do not know which one] and went on to serve with the 18th Field Ambulance, and the other was serving with the Territorial Force but I have not been successful in tracing which TF unit as yet because his 6 digit number is incomplete.

It would also appear from the MIC that Mark was to be issued a Silver War Badge - list RAMC 439 but it was deleted. It might be an idea to check that list to see if it provides any further information or clues.

Barbara

Barbra

Happy New Year

Thank you very much for your timely reply. I also had a reply from "achonvillessomme"'with some info on M.T. Alford. It would appear that he had previous military service. 05 Nov 1902 aged 18yrs 4mos Joined Royal Fusiliers ser # 9946??, 1905 Transferred to RAMC, 1909 Transferred to Reserves. 15 Aug 1914 Rejoined RAMC in Canada ser# 3680. It is also believed that during his war time service he was gassed. This obviously was minor as he lived to the ripe old age og 88 and died as a result of being hit by a car crossing the road at night. His autopsy revealed that he had the vital organs of a 40 yr old. I have a copy of his Attestation with the Royal Fusiliers and will search for his Canadian records online here. Any other information that you come across would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Aye

Mitch

What does your database show for Capt. Dawson Cameron Robertson RAMC?

:) I'm amazed

Like most, I guess, I was really moved the first time I went to the Western Front. So many cemeteries, with so many headstones, and so many names of men with no known graves :( I just can't let it go.

Ever since that time I have wanted to set up a RAMC database, mainly to commemorate the Corps but to also give something back to a generation that lost so much by keeping the names of those who served alive. Against the advice of others that it is too big a task (they are right of course) I am plodding on and am adding daily to an access database.

It is still very early days with so much more information to add, I haven't even scratch the surface but if I highlight a column and click on A/Z I am starting to see numbering systems forming, specific drafts of men who were sent to serve with other RAMC units and specific drafts of RAMC men from certain RAMC Units who were transferred to other regiments. I can also see men from the same unit being killed on the same day and/or winning awards, which will lead me to investigate specific battles. It really is starting to produce some very interesting results and much more than I first intended.

Sorry, just had to tell someone. I am soooooo excited. :D

Guest juliehewitt

Hello

I am new to this forum too.

I am looking for more information on 2/3rd field ambulance sgt George K Harkness. His number is 512270 (formerly 368) according to the London Gazette 18th june 1917 he received a military medal but I don't know for which action or where. Any information would be greatfully received.

Many thanks

Dave

I have looked through Pte Swarbrick's service record and have now added him to the RAMC database. I can add to the above that he served with the 135th Field Ambulance.

Thanks Barbara - I shall add that information to my database

Dave Swarbrick

Hi Barbara,

I`m trying to research my Gt Uncle`s WW1 service. I know he was in the Indian Army (Baluchistan Infantry) when de-mobbed, but from his medal card it appears he originally went to the Mesopotainian Theatre in September 1916 when he was with the RAMC. This was a surprise to my Dad and I as we did not know he was with the RAMC at all. Bit of a long shot, but wondered whether you have come across him at all when compiling the database ?.

Pte Frederick Shuttleworth 44806, came from Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire.

Not a lot to go on, but who knows ?!. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Barbra

I also had a reply from "achonvillessomme"'with some info on M.T. Alford. It would appear that he had previous military service. 05 Nov 1902 aged 18yrs 4mos Joined Royal Fusiliers ser # 9946??, 1905 Transferred to RAMC, 1909 Transferred to Reserves. 15 Aug 1914 Rejoined RAMC in Canada ser# 3680. It is also believed that during his war time service he was gassed. This obviously was minor as he lived to the ripe old age og 88 and died as a result of being hit by a car crossing the road at night. His autopsy revealed that he had the vital organs of a 40 yr old. I have a copy of his Attestation with the Royal Fusiliers and will search for his Canadian records online here. Any other information that you come across would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Aye

Mitch

Interesting, thanks for that. Yes if I find any other information I will let you know.

Barbara

Hi there

I've had a few emails to my website over Christmas and the New Year, which for obvious reasons I haven't been been able to deal with but am catching up and will look into the above queries asap and come back to you. Looks like I may be snowed in over the next couple of days so shouldn't be too long.

Cheers

Barbara

What does your database show for Capt. Dawson Cameron Robertson RAMC?

He is not on my database as yet. A search of Robertson on word is bringing up too many files but if there is information there then I will add him to the on-line database asap.

Barbara

I am looking for more information on 2/3rd field ambulance sgt George K Harkness. His number is 512270 (formerly 368) according to the London Gazette 18th june 1917 he received a military medal but I don't know for which action or where. Any information would be greatfully received.

Many thanks

There is no such unit as 2/3rd Field Ambulance but his number '512270' places him with the 3rd London Field Ambulance, so presumably he served with the 2nd/3rd London Field Ambulance. This unit served with the 169th Brigade of the 56th Division. The unit war diary may help to provide clues, it is held at the National Archive under reference number WO 95/2944.

Barbara

Pte Frederick Shuttleworth 44806, came from Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire.

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry I do not appear to have any information on 44806 Pte F Shuttleworth.

Barbara

Hi

I am looking for info on 74852 Pte F Norris who was awarded the Military Medal while serving with the 139 Field Ambulance. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

• 5 weeks later...

Barbara

Do you have any information for Pte. Frank Parry, whose marriage record states he was with the RAMC at Park Hall Camp,

Owestry, in 1916? I do not have a service number for him, regrettably, but he was born 20 November 1892, at Bath.

Your RAMC website is outstanding; truly a site that truly does justice to those it remembers.

Best regards

Trelawney

Hello Trelawney

Pte Frank Parry wasn't listed on my Access database and I have checked to see if I could trace a MIC for clues as to whether or not he may have gone abroad but couldn't find any for a Frank Parry or F Parry serving in the RAMC. I do have Park Hall Camp, Oswestry listed as a Military Hospital accommodating beds for 866 O/Rs. It was an affiliated hospital attached to the Berrington War Hospital, Shrewsbury in the Western Command. All this indicates that he served at home and it is therefore unlikely I will come across information about him because it will be local to where he lived or worked. It is possible that I may receive a group photograph with him on but it is a long shot. If he died shortly after the war then his service number may appear in registry documents or he might be listed on an Absent Voters List.

Thanks for your comments about the RAMC website. The project does take up at lot of my time so it is good to know it is achieving what it is meant to achieve.

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...

Hello BJAY, i have just picked up the MM group to a H Bland RAMC Pte 271, also seems to have the number 354123 i think he was in the 1/3 East lancs Feild Ambulance , i wonder what you may have on him ? think he got the award early 1918 , would the unit have a separate war diary or would it be the same as the East lancs

Thanks Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r: