Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Hi

His MIC states that he was awarded the General Service Medal, Iraq, which was 1919 - 1920. I do not have any information which indicates that the 27th Field Ambulance went to Iraq so that would explain the service number change to 200779. The MIC also states that he was serving in Palestine under service number 7250883 with No 22 Coy, this appears to be later than 1920 so it is highly likely he was still serving after 1922 and his records are not yet available to the general public or archived at Kew.

Barbara

Hi

Thank you very much for the info. I have a couple of photo's which you might find interesting, but dont know who the soldier is, could be J.R.CLARKE. Will try sending them.

Mick

post-39290-1225297309.jpg

post-39290-1225297458.jpg

Thanks Mick, I have downloaded them.

I have set up a file of photographs on unknown RAMC personnel, not yet on the database, but will add him as possibly being J R Clarke/from 27th Field Ambulance. A long shot but one day someone may recognize him on here or I may received the picture again from a person who knows who he is. No harm in trying.

Barbara

Thanks Mick, I have downloaded them.

I have set up a file of photographs on unknown RAMC personnel, not yet on the database, but will add him as possibly being J R Clarke/from 27th Field Ambulance. A long shot but one day someone may recognize him on here or I may received the picture again from a person who knows who he is. No harm in trying.

Barbara

That's great. He lived in Mattersey Place, nr Bawtery Yorkshire, it might help. thanks again.

Mick

Hi Barbara,

Glad to be of some service. This is not too much to go on, but I have transcribed all that was reported.

Private John Mayer at Whittington Barracks was fined six shillings for riding a cycle in Rotten Row without lights on July 23 1916 at 10.50pm

More to follow as I tidy up my notes. Got an excellent one recently with a lot of detail

John

:) I'm amazed

Like most, I guess, I was really moved the first time I went to the Western Front. So many cemeteries, with so many headstones, and so many names of men with no known graves :( I just can't let it go.

Ever since that time I have wanted to set up a RAMC database, mainly to commemorate the Corps but to also give something back to a generation that lost so much by keeping the names of those who served alive. Against the advice of others that it is too big a task (they are right of course) I am plodding on and am adding daily to an access database.

It is still very early days with so much more information to add, I haven't even scratch the surface but if I highlight a column and click on A/Z I am starting to see numbering systems forming, specific drafts of men who were sent to serve with other RAMC units and specific drafts of RAMC men from certain RAMC Units who were transferred to other regiments. I can also see men from the same unit being killed on the same day and/or winning awards, which will lead me to investigate specific battles. It really is starting to produce some very interesting results and much more than I first intended.

Sorry, just had to tell someone. I am soooooo excited. :D

I am new to this Forum, but have learnt such a lot from reading comments etc

Please be patience with me

Have recently been writing up a dissertation on the Great War's role in this area.

In Kendal Local History Library I came across this wonderful book (1 of only 12)

The author and printer served with the Number 34 (West Lancs.)Casualty Clearing Station R.A.M.C.(T)

A Kendal man who served right through the war in Casualty Clearing Stations, attached to Number One Regiment of the West Lancashire’s.He kept a diary and at the end of the war being a printer by trade published a limited edition of one dozen containing many private photographs.

He presented a copy to the Mayor of Kendal

Contains information on the ambulance trains

Trips from Dock Enfield to Southampton to collect wounded from the ships arriving from France.

Peter

I have a photocopy of three photographs taken when 34 CCS were at Fienvillers. The source is not obvious to me at the moment but they do look like private photographs so Peter Starling, the curator of the AMS Museum, may already be aware of the diaries existence. The diary sounds really interesting, does it also list names of personnel who served with the unit?

Thanks

Barbara

Private John Mayer at Whittington Barracks was fined six shillings for riding a cycle in Rotten Row without lights on July 23 1916 at 10.50pm

John

Thanks again John.

The last few days have been a bit busy for me but I will try to tie up all the info you have given me and add it to the database over the weekend.

All the best

Barbara

Peter

I have a photocopy of three photographs taken when 34 CCS were at Fienvillers. The source is not obvious to me at the moment but they do look like private photographs so Peter Starling, the curator of the AMS Museum, may already be aware of the diaries existence. The diary sounds really interesting, does it also list names of personnel who served with the unit?

Thanks

Barbara

Not to certain if a full list is included - will look at it again during week when I go to Kendal.

The reason for my interest was that when writing up about Tebay Junction during the Great War a number of people mentioned the amount of hospital trains that stopped. The train which seemed to have a regular call at Kendal before travelling north had a number of RMAC staff who came from there and they met their families during the stop overs.

Also at Tebay there was a very large First Aid room - much larger than in other stations - I am looking at the possibility it was used to transfer some of the casualties to the other line to the North East or to Yorkshire via the Ingleton line - who knows!

You may already be aware, and I'm not sure if it will help because I cannot see a reference to Tebay Junction, but there is an article written by Alan Earnshaw about Ambulance Trains on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

Thank you for your offer to look at the diary for names.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

I have a list of the RAMC men who were in Australia before the outbreak of war and were called up as Imperial Reservists. These men left Australia in November & december 1914 and headed back to Britain.

Happy to e-mail this list on to you if needed?

Cheers

Andrew

Barbara,

I have just been reading through the forum and found a thread about Accountants etc in WW1. While I was looking for a man of my own I found this name:

W Barnett, RAMC worked for Pittman, Smyth & Aris (London) Chartered Accountants.

If you get time it might be worth looking, if not this is the link:

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route/16094.../Withthecolours

John

Hi John

I've had a look and there appears to be quite a few listed from the RAMC. I've had a lot of queries through the website over the last couple of days, a result of recent TV programmes I guess, so I have bookmarked it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and for the link.

All the best

Barbara

Barbara,

I'm pleased about that. Anything to get your website more comprehensive and thorough. If I get chance I will have a hunt through and a pick a few out for you. It might speed the process.

Anyway, I have found another two local man from the September 1914 Roll of Honour:

Ernest Henry Chappel from Burntwood and Hubert Arthur Gilbert from 5 Queen Street.

And, though not much to go on:

Corporal H Mellor who went to the local Grammar School between 1905-1907 and was serving in 1916

Thomas John Winterton who also went there in the same years born Lichfield May/June 1898 and was a Private in 1916

More to follow soon

John

Barbara, another one, and with a bit more detail:

Private Samuel Whorton aged 31 entered the RAMC in 1916 and served in France for 2 ½ years. He was gassed and sent to Plymouth Hospital where he died from pneumonia on 24.12.1918.

Before the war he was a superintendent of the Refuge Assurance Company in Wolverhampton. For several years he was a local preacher in the Lichfield Primitive Methodist Church.

Born Norton Canes September 1887 and married March 1910

A memorial service was held on Sunday 2nd February at the PMC. LM 10.1 & 7.2.1918

John

Barbara,

I have been looking through the website I mentioned the other and have found the following so far:

Corporal A B Adam who worked for Thomas Bowden, Son in Newcastle

F A Allen, Flint & Thompson in Birmingham

S E Ambrose, Luckin & Sheldrake, Chelmsford

John

Hi John

Thanks again for all your help.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I have been in Ypres. I have returned to even more queries and information but unfortunately the acknowledgement page on the system went down and I'm concerned people may feel ignored so need to reply to them first :blush: I will try to cross reference all the information you posted above asap. I will come back to you to let you know how I get on.

All the best

Barbara

My great uncle James Hollinhurst Clayton was a dentist in Blackburn who served 1917-1919 in India with the RAMC. No: 85758

Why would a dentist from Blackburn end up as a Private, in India?

Also from his medal card he appears to have returned his medals and then claimed them again in 1982. Could some-one confirm this for me??

Barbara,

Thanks for that. This is from a local paper and relates to a War Rally in October 1915 in Chasetown

Major Furness, who has recently returned from Germany, where he has been a prisoner of war for over 12 months gave a graphic description of the retreat from Mons in which he was made a POW. He spoke about the day and his experiences in the German Camp.

John

Hello Barbara - I've just learnt that my Great Uncle was in the RAMC - he was Private Herbert Edward Callaghan (service number 42036), from Coleraine, N Ireland.

Other than the fact that he landed in Gallipoli in August 1915, and was later commissioned into the Royal Irish Rifles, and survived the war, I know very little.

Do you by any chance have any information on him?

Many thanks

Alan

Hello Barbara,

Information on two Uncles

Herbert Dalby Waterworth private 115, B section 3rd Field ambulance A.I.F.,

Embarked Adelaide 20/10/1914,

G.S.W. to head 11th May 1915

Died of wounds 1929 buried in A.I.F. west Terrace cemetery Adelaide

Fred Waterworth private 37596 R.A.M.C.

entered war 27/07/1915

Survived the war and returned to Liverpool

No more information on Fred apart from one photograph where he is pictured with one wound stripe

Amitiés

Gill

Hi Alan

I have not come across any information about Pte Herbert Edward Callaghan. I have received quite a bit of information since the database went live [and before] but I'm struggling to process it at the moment, so I may have him but he is not on the system as yet.

I can advise that the 10th [irish] Division served in Gallipoli and according to the ADMS's war diary the Field Ambulances attached arrived there on or around the 7th August 1915. They were the 30th, 31st and 32nd Field Ambulances. The 32nd Field Ambulance was formed in Limerick in September 1914 from Irish recruits [as well as recruits from London]. They arrived on the 7th so it might be worth looking through their war diary as it might mention him if he received a commission.

No 14 Casualty Clearing Station arrived on that day too.

Cheers

Barbara

Hi All

Taking into account that most of the posts on this thread are addressed to me, I just want to advise that I am not in a position to monitor it at the moment , to try to help with queries or to take any more information. I do not want to ignore people so thought it best to advise.

I've said it many times but thanks again to all those who have helped me with the RAMC project, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Barbara