Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Barbara, Are the details of 29193 Sam Parrin RAMC of use to you. Commemorated on our War Memorial, have his picture too. Regards Ralph.

Stuart (PPCLI) Many thanks, PM sent. Opps email received, that was quick, I will reply via email.

Nancy I would welcome details about your uncle Pte Thomass EMM, I cannot find any information about him at all.

Ralph (rjaydee) Thank you for bringing my attention to Pte Parrin, I have just noted that he was one of 9 men killed in action on that day - all serving with 10th Stationery Hospital. I would love a picture of him for the database, thanks again I really appreciate it.

Phil

I took it from the research my Dad put together on the formation of the TF Units, he has quoted a book called 'Swindon's War Record' for this unit. I'll have a look and see if I can find anything but I'm tied up with work over the next few days so it may take a short while.

Barbara

Phil

Just to advise that I have not yet found 'Swindon's War Record' but I am still on the case. I will send you a PM as soon as I find anything.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara,

I have found out that the book is "Swindons War Record" by W D Bavin, published 1922.

There are five copies in Wiltshire Libraries........ none for loan.

One copy coming up on Abebooks......£85.

My wife wants to visit our eldest daughter, who has just moved to Bath, in the summer, so a slight detour may have to be arranged.

Phil

I have two relatives who were RAMC in WW1 - both Doctors.

One named Marwood Mintern Munden, temp Lt wef 12Feb1918.

The other William Poole Henley Munden, temp Lt wef 10Oct1914, promoted Temp Capt wef 7Jul1917.

Are these two individuals on the database, please? Can you tell me which units they were attached to - rumour is that at least one was with the Royal Fusiliers. And would any more info re biographies etc be of interest?

Cheers

James

Hello James

Taken from the Guy's Hospital Reports, War Memorial Number:-

Munden, M. M. Lieut. RAMC. 89th Field Ambulance - 1917. 2nd Royal Fusiliers - 1917-1918. Belgian Croix de Guerre.

Munden, W. P. H. Capt. RAMC. Attached 16th Sherwood Foresters. B.E.F., France - 1916 M.O. i/c Reserve Cavalry Aldershot - 1917.

They are not on my database as yet but I will add them later tonight, any further information would be of great interest, thank you.

Barbara

Hello James

Taken from the Guy's Hospital Reports, War Memorial Number:-

Munden, M. M. Lieut. RAMC. 89th Field Ambulance - 1917. 2nd Royal Fusiliers - 1917-1918. Belgian Croix de Guerre.

Munden, W. P. H. Capt. RAMC. Attached 16th Sherwood Foresters. B.E.F., France - 1916 M.O. i/c Reserve Cavalry Aldershot - 1917.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

:)

What fantastic info - I'd love to know how you knew where to look - I knew they did their medical training at Guys (as did their father in the 1860s) but didn't think that the records would be so accommodating. This will enable me to trace through their careers in some detail, now I know their units etc.

I'm interested to see the info about the Belgian Croix de Guerre - I had heard the same story as part of family lore, but have been able to find no record of the award being gazetted. The story is that Mintern won it for evacuating civilians under gunfire - can you provide any clues as to where I might find out more, please?

In terms of more info, I have detailed family history for them both, from birth to death. Do you want this level of detail, or just a potted history - and if so, what 'word limit' would you like me to work to?

Cheers

James

Hi James

I had a good mentor - my father :) He also documented a far bit of information, not all completed mind you.

There were three men, from Guy's, who were awared the Croix de Guerre. Unfortunately Mintern's entry does not have a date. It might be mentioned in a war diary, and would have got a mention in the Lancet or Medical Journal but without a date it will not be easy to find. I know one place where there may be a date but cannot do anything today (Sunday) so will have to come back to you.

They are now both on the database and I have entered information I've found so far. You can view them here and here You can add to it yourself by entering 'Add Further Detail' or you can send the information to me and I will add it for you. I haven't reached a word limit yet but this is 'their' database so I will leave it to you to decide how much information you would like them to be remembered by.

All the best

Barbara

Hi Barbara.

Do you have these Guy's men?

Captain CHANING-PEARCE, WILFRID THOMAS. MC

Royal Army Medical Corps

Att 18th Bn The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Date of Death: 01/10/1917

Awards: M C

Son of Joseph and Elinor Lois Chaning-Pearce, of Ramsgate, Kent.

B.A. (Cambridge), M.B., B.Ch., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. (Lond.) Obst. Res. and House Anaesthesist Guy's Hospital, House Surgeon London Hospital.

Grave II. F1. 8. DERRY HOUSE CEMETERY No.2

Captain ROBERTSON, ERNEST GUY

Royal Army Medical Corps

Date of Death: 28/10/1918

Son of Dr. Frederick Freer Leslie Robertson and Louisa Baker, his wife; husband of Katherine Dorothy Robertson, of Holmwood, Mile End, Portsmouth. Born at Hambledon, Hants.

Educated at Portsmouth Grammar School and Guy's Hospital.

Grave: 6. 6. WYMERING (SS. PETER AND PAUL) CHURCHYARD

Mick

While on the subject I also have these men as being awarded Croix de Guerre.

Lt/Col COLLINS, REGINALD THOMAS

Royal Army Medical Corps

17th Field Amb.

Date of Death: 18/09/1918

Awards: D S O Croix de Guerre (France).

Son of Dr. and Mrs. Wolfenden Collins.

B. 54. TREFCON BRITISH CEMETERY, CAULAINCOURT

Captain LINZELL, STANLEY JAMES

Royal Army Medical Corps

Date of Death: 03/04/1917

Awards: M C. Croix de Guerre (France).

Son of Mr. H. J. and Mrs. J. Linzell, of The Lodge, Trimley St. Mary, Suffolk.

I. A. 19. FORESTE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Sgt McKENNA, STEPHEN 54003

Royal Army Medical Corps

37th Field Amb.

Date of Death: 28/03/1918

Awards: D C M and Bar. Croix de Guerre.

I. L. 3. VARENNES MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte SMITH, LEOPOLD FREDERICK 26100

Royal Army Medical Corps

17th Field Amb.

Date of Death: 22/09/1918

Croix de Guerre (France).

Son of Leopold Frederick Albert and Annie Bcatrice S.mith of 11, Herrick Rd., Highbury, London.

I. C. 10. BRIE BRITISH CEMETERY

Cpl STEVENS CH. 563

Royal Army Medical Corps

Att 1st Bn Wiltshire Regiment

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Awards: M M. Croix de Guerre (Belgium).

II. G. 17. ACHIET-LE-GRAND COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Mick

While on the subject I also have these men as being awarded Croix de Guerre.

Lt/Col COLLINS, REGINALD THOMAS

Royal Army Medical Corps

17th Field Amb.

Date of Death: 18/09/1918

Awards: D S O Croix de Guerre (France).

Son of Dr. and Mrs. Wolfenden Collins.

B. 54. TREFCON BRITISH CEMETERY, CAULAINCOURT

Captain LINZELL, STANLEY JAMES

Royal Army Medical Corps

Date of Death: 03/04/1917

Awards: M C. Croix de Guerre (France).

Son of Mr. H. J. and Mrs. J. Linzell, of The Lodge, Trimley St. Mary, Suffolk.

I. A. 19. FORESTE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Sgt McKENNA, STEPHEN 54003

Royal Army Medical Corps

37th Field Amb.

Date of Death: 28/03/1918

Awards: D C M and Bar. Croix de Guerre.

I. L. 3. VARENNES MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte SMITH, LEOPOLD FREDERICK 26100

Royal Army Medical Corps

17th Field Amb.

Date of Death: 22/09/1918

Croix de Guerre (France).

Son of Leopold Frederick Albert and Annie Bcatrice S.mith of 11, Herrick Rd., Highbury, London.

I. C. 10. BRIE BRITISH CEMETERY

Cpl STEVENS CH. 563

Royal Army Medical Corps

Att 1st Bn Wiltshire Regiment

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Awards: M M. Croix de Guerre (Belgium).

II. G. 17. ACHIET-LE-GRAND COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Mick

Hi, sorry I'm, new to the forum and posted a quote when I didn't mean to. I was wondering if you have my grandad on your database. His name is Adam Duff Kirkham, he was a corporal in the RAMC, I have his medal card (thanks to The Long Long Trail) and it shows he was awarded the Military Medal. I believe this was in France around 1915, when he brought back an officer who was wounded and whilst under fire,therefore saving the officer's life. If you are able to find any info I would be very grateful, I have heard this report when I was a child but am now doing a little bit of 'family tree' research and would like to know as much as possible. Thanks

Hi James

I had a good mentor - my father :) He also documented a far bit of information, not all completed mind you.

There were three men, from Guy's, who were awared the Croix de Guerre. Unfortunately Mintern's entry does not have a date. It might be mentioned in a war diary, and would have got a mention in the Lancet or Medical Journal but without a date it will not be easy to find. I know one place where there may be a date but cannot do anything today (Sunday) so will have to come back to you.

They are now both on the database and I have entered information I've found so far. You can view them here and here You can add to it yourself by entering 'Add Further Detail' or you can send the information to me and I will add it for you. I haven't reached a word limit yet but this is 'their' database so I will leave it to you to decide how much information you would like them to be remembered by.

All the best

Barbara

Hi Barbara

Thanks very much indeed for your help. Mintern (my great great uncle) was awarded the Belgian CdG, which seems a bit rarer than the French one. It's interesting to note that the London Gazette doesn't list many at all. I don't know either when he won the medal, but the London Gazette and Army List point to him joining up only in Feb 1918 and relinquishing his commission in December the same year - which is somewhat different to the details from the Guys Hospital Reports.

Obviously there is some more digging to be done - and I've seen somewhere else on the GWF that the citations themselves were removed by the Germans in WW2 and only repatriated to Belgium in a packing case or similar in the 1970s. But I'd be very grateful if you were willing to signpost the potential location of the date (or even look it up) for me.

Thanks too for the location of the entries in your database. I'll upload some more details and photos to those sites - but perhaps won't manage that today!

Best wishes and many thanks

James

Hi Mick

Yes I have information on Captain CHANING-PEARCE, WILFRID THOMAS. MC and Captain ROBERTSON, ERNEST GUY, including their obits. Do you want a copy? I will add their information to the database asap but I have quite a backlog of info that needs to be added.

Thanks also for the list of men being awarded the Croix de Guerre. Lt-Col Collins is recorded as being awarded his in 1918, his DSO was gazetted on the 1/1/1918. That's as much as I know right now.

Barbara

Corporal A. D. Kirkham's MM was promulgated in the London Gazette #29819, dated 11th November 1916....

58180 Cpl. A. D. Kirkham, R.A.M.C.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

Thats great, thanks very much. Have you any info on how I can find out about the reason for the award of the medal. I would like to know more about what he actually did, all I know is what has been handed down. I would be grateful for tips on sites to search etc. Many thanks again

caroleccy

MM's are one of the more difficult gallantry awards to research as they're published without citations. If you know what R.A.M.C. unit he was with then the War Diary may help but this is unlikely. The alternative if you know where he was from/resident, and which is often the best source, is his 'local' newspaper which ususally carried some details.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks. Yes I'm interested in any information you have on the RAMC men, I'll have a look through and let you know. I could also add to the list from various sources I come across. My database has recieved quite a bit of attention and at the moment I am receiving a fair amount of queries though, as soon as I catch up I'll contribute.

Cheers

Barbara

Thanks for your help, I will try the local paper archives and any other local sites. He was originally from Whitehaven but moved to Bootle around 1900. He and my Nan were married in 1907 and lived in Bootle, Liverpool.

• 2 weeks later...

Barbara - I have found a reference to Lt Col T G Buchanan of the RAMC - I think he might be one of the men I am researching. The reference states that he died, but nothing more.

Would you mind checking to see if you have any information on him? I can't find him on CWGC, SDGW or GRO.

Many thanks

Alan

I can only find a reference to one T G Buchanan.

BUCHANAN Thomas George

1/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance

M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O. R.U.I. – 1908 (Qu. College, Belfast)

Honourable Assistant Surgeon in Ophthalmology – Burton on Trench General Infirmary.

Commissioned T/Captain on 19 August 1914. Acting T/Major 24 September 1915 (1918 Army List)

D.M.S. (Orthopaedic) – Ministry of Pensions

Member of British Medical Association

I haven’t checked the London Gazette.

He was listed in the 1945 Medical Directory so did not die in the Great War.

Barbara

Many thanks, Barbara. I'll look in the gazette and see if I can find anything else

Alan

Now that I have found this topic, it looks like I should have posted my search request over here. Crazy Canadians, always getting lost on the GWF.

I am looking for information on "Frederick Horace Whitlock, #54333, Acting Sergeant RAMC. His son is still alive over here in Milton, Ontario CANADA and asked me for some help. The medal card and other information are at the other post.

Any help for his son would be appreciated. And thanks for the web site link (http://ramc-ww1.com/) I am off there now to see what you have and I will pass this on to the family right away!