Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Thanks for your help, Barbara - you've given me some very useful leads to follow up

Alan

Hi John

I would love new men or information for the database and do not really want to turn anything away but the situation at the moment means I cannot say how long it will take me to get it onto the system. i do not want people to feel that they are sending me information and I am ignoring them by not putting it straight onto the database.

I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation. I've received hundreds of emails from people asking if I have information that will tell them the medical unit their relative served in during the war, and I'm replying telling them that I might have but I need to process the information I have, which takes time. The problem is I can't process the information I have because I am spending all my time replying to people telling them that I need time to process the information. :huh:

I just need to take time out to sort through what people have already sent me and try to get back on top of the situation. :)

Cheers

Barbara

Ok, I will place in my own filing system for the time being. I will keep finding bits and pieces and start adding to the forum in the New Year. This will allow a bit of time.

John

• 4 months later...

I ran across a relative who was KIA RAMC for your database.

Henry Green was one of 3 brothers from Blackpool who served in WW1. Two were killed, the third a POW.

Name: GREEN, HENRY

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 65th (3rd/3rd West Lancs.) Field Amb

Date of Death: 07/09/1918

Service No: 341558

Additional information: Son of John and Mary Ann Green, of 1, Belmont Cottages, Blackpool.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. F. 3.

Cemetery: SAILLY-SAILLISEL BRITISH CEMETERY

Thanks Simonwpb, he was already on the database but I have now updated with all the information I can find. You can view his profile here

Hi David Ch. Unfortunately I cannot find any other information, I have a list of personnel mentioned in the 101st Fld Ambulance war diary, which was compiled by someone who sent the list to my father but Samuel is not on it. I have now added him to the list and will hopefully get them onto the database sometime soon.

All the best

Barbara

• 6 months later...
:) I'm amazed

Like most, I guess, I was really moved the first time I went to the Western Front. So many cemeteries, with so many headstones, and so many names of men with no known graves :( I just can't let it go.

Ever since that time I have wanted to set up a RAMC database, mainly to commemorate the Corps but to also give something back to a generation that lost so much by keeping the names of those who served alive. Against the advice of others that it is too big a task (they are right of course) I am plodding on and am adding daily to an access database.

It is still very early days with so much more information to add, I haven't even scratch the surface but if I highlight a column and click on A/Z I am starting to see numbering systems forming, specific drafts of men who were sent to serve with other RAMC units and specific drafts of RAMC men from certain RAMC Units who were transferred to other regiments. I can also see men from the same unit being killed on the same day and/or winning awards, which will lead me to investigate specific battles. It really is starting to produce some very interesting results and much more than I first intended.

Sorry, just had to tell someone. I am soooooo excited. :D

did you get anywhere with this?

It is on-going.

With so many personnel and medical units it will be on-going for a long time, but I'm working really hard on it and gaining loads of info all the time :D

Barbara

Barbara,

Would you have any information on RAMC attached to 13th Royal Irish Rifles.

I have traced two. Captain Horace Dorset ECCLES, RAMC attached to 13th Royal Irish Rifles, died 16/08/1917, commemorated on the War Memorial Guys Hospital. Mentioned in Dispatches.

Also a Lieutenant Andrew Rowan Hamilton, RAMC attached 13th Royal Irish Rifles. Who survived and is noted in the Roll of Service of Edinburgh University.

Regards

Adrian

Guest PYoung2009

Dear Ian,

I am the great-great grandson of 100629 Pte. W. Young. My grandfather has recently been trying to find out the events surrounding W Young on 23 Nov, and find out the exact reasons he won his DCM. We have uncovered a local news paper cutting that gives some of the details, also an extract from the London Gazette.

Do you have any information about the day in question and how W. Young won his DCM (detailed accounts)? You mentioned about your great uncle, did he have any thing to do with my great-great grandfather? W. Young survived the war, on his return the people of Maryport presented him with a gold pocket watch to congratulate him on his DCM. We have the watch and the minutes from the presentation, but unfortunately have misplaced his medal!

It is exciting to hear someone else is looking into the events of that day. I am currently a serving British Army Officer and have a keen interest in finding out what ever i can. Hopefully you could help.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Best Wishes,

2Lt P W Young

Hello Barbara,

Do you have anything on the following man?

100629 Pte. W. Young, D.C.M.

He won his D.C.M on 23rd November 1917. His citation says that he was an R.A.M.C man attached to No.4 Company, B Battalion, Tank Corps, as a medical orderly. His citation states that he went forward in front of the infantry into Fontaine and attended the wounded of the Tank Corps. This is particularly remarkable because the infantry never reached the village and many of the tank crew never returned. He must have been a very brave and dedicated man.

The citation leads one to believe that he survived the action and I certainly hope so. I was particularly intrigued to see that this thread says that the Welcome Institute hold some first hand accounts written by R.A.M.C men. Is there an easy way to check whether a particular man left anything, as any account W. Young left would be very intersting to read?

My interest in this action stems from the fact that my Great Uncle was one of the tank drivers in Fontaine that day. Furthermore, he was one of only three tanks present from No. 4 Company, so probably would have known Young. Luckily my Great Uncle survived.

Regards,

Ian.

Barbara,

Would you have any information on RAMC attached to 13th Royal Irish Rifles.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Unfortunately no. I have found six RMOs who were wounded whilst serving with the Royal Irish Rifles, which I can post here if it might help, but I do not know if they were with the 13th Royal Irish Rifles or not.

Barbara

Barbara,

Could you post or pm details of Royal Irish Rifles.

The following link takes you to a document with 70+ obituaries of RAMC mentioned on the Guys Hospital Memorial and a list of those who served which may be of use to you. Quite a lengthy document.

http://www.archive.org/stream/reportsg70gu...ysuoft_djvu.txt

Thanks

Adrian

Excellent thread. I am trying to find out more about an Aberfeldy RAMC man, and wondered if you might be able to help. This is what I have so far;

Cpl David Reid

Died 9/12/1921 ( valvicular heart disease and influenza )

Also a newspaper report, that says he was congratulated by his divisional commander, for splendid service done on the battlefield.

There are a few possible MIC's but I don't even know his number yet.

It's not a lot, and I need to do more work, I just wondered if you might have any information?

Cheers Mike

Edit. Report mentions Field Ambulance

Barbara,

Is this of any use to you?

Chris

Captain Harry Vivian Byatt was born on December 16th 1882 the first son of Henry Robinson of Bedford. For some reason he took the surname Byatt in 1899, but even then he was not sure who he was – at Cambridge he is listed in various publications as ‘Byatt’, ‘Byatt-Byatt’, and ‘Byatt Byatt.’ He came to Summer Fields, Oxford, in 1891 and gained a scholarship to Charterhouse in 1896. There he was a junior and senior scholar and exhibitioner, and then went on to Clare College, Cambridge in 1901, again with a scholarship. There he rowed in the VIII and became Captain of Boats. He graduated with a BA in 1904.

Byatt became a hospital doctor in London and in 1909 married Katharine Mary Dible. When the war started he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps, and was attached to the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade. He was to die of wounds, aged 32, on March 3rd 1915. Byatt is buried with two other Old Summerfieldians in Estaires Cemetery. In a unique gesture his family requested that all his former associations be credited on his tombstone. Thus Summer Fields was honourably listed as his first schooling.

Thanks Chris for the information on Capt Byatt. I visited his grave last week and got a photograph of his grave marker.

Would you mind advising where you got the information from? The reason I ask is because there is a lot of conflicting information about him. For example, you state he died of wounds and so does the Lancet but Drew's book on Medical Officers and his MIC state he was killed in action. Also you have quoted he died on 3rd March 1915, CWGC states he died on the 14th March 1915 and Drew states he died on the 11th March 1915. Lastly you have stated he joined the RAMC when war broke out but according to Drew he joined the RAMC in 1907. Thanks.

Barbara

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the link to the Guy's Report.

The names I have are

Capt LOVELESS William Bird

Lt MASSEY A

Capt RUTHERFORD James Edmund

Capt HOWES A J

Capt DUNDEE C

Capt ANDERSON F A

All the above were wounded serving with the Royal Irish Rifles but that is all the info I have listed. I haven't researched any of them because I am just transferring info from lists onto the database at the moment. I've realised it is quicker and easier for me to collate information that way.

Hope it helps though.

Barbara

Cpl David Reid

Died 9/12/1921 ( valvicular heart disease and influenza )

Cheers Mike

Edit. Report mentions Field Ambulance

Nothing on Cpl Reid, sorry

Barbara

Barbara,

Interesting! What a lot of conflicting points - I shall have to look deeper. The cemetery would suggest he died of wounds as it was a CCS and Field Ambulance station, but I have not looked into the actions around there on those dates. It must be worth contacting the Rifle Brigade, whom I believe he was serving for (sorry, away from research at moment)?

Chris

Hi Chris

No worries, I know two people who research the Rifle Brigade so will contact them to see if they have anything on him. Thanks again for the information you provided, especially his early years. I have saved it and will credit research to you when I do eventually transfer it to the database.

Barbara

Guest PYoung2009

Barbara,

Hope you can help. I am trying to contact Ian Verrinder with regards to a message he posted a couple of years ago. Are you in contact with him, and could you pass him my details if you are? I believe he has some information about my great great grandfather Pte. W. Young RAMC.

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

P Young

It is on-going.

With so many personnel and medical units it will be on-going for a long time, but I'm working really hard on it and gaining loads of info all the time :D

Barbara

Barbara,

I am trying to contact Ian Verrinder with regards to a message he posted a couple of years ago. Are you in contact with him, and could you pass him my details if you are?

P Young

No I'm not in contact with Ian but I have just checked his profile and he was on-line earlier today so is still active on the forum. Unfortunatley I turned off my PM system a little while back when I was over run with queries and have not been able to activate it again so I cannot send him a private message. I know you cannot send him a private message because you have not posted enough yet but it might be worth starting a new topic in the soldiers section with the heading ''Attn Ian Verrinder' and a subheading 'Pte W Young RAMC'.

Alternatively, can another member looking in please bring Ian's attention to this thread?

Barbara

Are you still looking for further info for the database?

I am researching the names of the men on the Liverpool University War Memorial, 20 of whom were in the RAMC.

Amongst those I can't find on your site so far are:-

Major W L Hawkesley

T G Dykes

Capt. M. Greer

Major N E Harding

Pte Arthur Hartland

Capt. T W Jones (att. Northumberland Fus.)

Pte A O'Halloran

Capt. L Oldershaw

Capt. S Pool, MC

Sgt F A Raby

Capt A A Rees

All but the first were students, the former being a member of staff.

I have headstone pics of most of them, if you would like.

In return, may I have permission to use the photo of Major J W Anderson?

Bruce

Hi Bruce

All the above men are in the RAMC Roll of Honour, it is possible that I have info on the officers but I'm tired up putting profiles together on other men and working through a few rolls at the moment. I have now added them to my list of men to look for info on. Thanks for the offer of headstone pics, if you want to send them when their profiles are on the system then that would be great.

The photo of Major J W Anderson on the RAMC website is from a newspaper article announcing his death, so you are welcome to use it. However, if you are intending to publish a book then it might be better to try and trace the source, unfortunately I do not have the name of the newspaper the article was in recorded.

Barbara