Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

RAMC Database

Derek Walford
Posted (edited)

I have been doing some research for Epping Forest District Museum, who recently held an exhibition of some of his work. Walter Ernest Spradbery volunteered for the RAMC on 14th September 1914, together with his friend Haydn R Mackey. They served initially with the 2nd/3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance, based in England. In February 1917 the 2nd/3rd was disbanded and at some stage (think August 1917) Walter Spradbery, Haydn Mackey and others were transferred to the  3rd Battalion Warwickshire Regiment, which was stationed on the Isle of Wight (training battalion). Walter Spradbery, Haydn Mackey, and others objected as pacifists (at that time many hundreds for RAMC were transferred to combat units) and there was quite a bit about it in the press as well as discussions in Parliament. End of September Walter Spradbery and Haydn Mackey were transferred back to the RAMC in Blackpool. Then they joined the 36th Field Ambulance in France. As mentioned Water Spradbery was awarded the DCM for his actions on 26th August 1918. Haydn Mackey was awarded the MM as a result of the same incident. We know he wrote a letter to his mother (from France) on the day Armistice was declared, but by end of November Walter Spradbery, still in uniform was working for the Imperial War Museum as was Haydn Mackey). Walter Spradbery was back in the UK by early December 1918 and continued to work for the Imperial War Museum until at least the middle of 1919 - producing many pictures recording the RAMC activities during the war.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek Walford
Missed out reference to the book My Dear Jim by John Spradbery which is a biography of Walter Spradbery

Carl2501

Hi,

I am trying to find information regarding Pte 354036 William Heywood 11 Robinson St.

I have found out he was in the RAMCTF & 1/3 East Lancs Field Ambulance, but also have another Attestation form from 08/06/1920 relating to the RAMCTF for a further 3 years service.

I have a picture of him in uniform, wearing medals ... but do not know where he was deployed nor what his medals were for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Carl

familyhistoryman

Carl

The Silver War Badge record shows he enlisted 6 Feb 1911

Tony

The Inspector

Hi Carl

Welcome to the Forum

I suggest you read the Long,Long Trail. top left home page.

William Heywood was 28 yrs 11 months old at date of discharge. Previous number 1355, which you probably know from the Attestation papers. Originally Pte 74,. then  1355, then 354036 then Cpl. 7335135. Born 25th June, 1890. 1920 living 11 Robinson St., Hulme, Manchester.

If you read through the papers you have a complete history of his service. He has the TF medal and the Brit/Vic and 15 Star. He had a fractured left femur.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Meadows71

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

Hi,

I am trying to find out about my Great Grandfather, I'm afraid all I can tell you is:-

Service Number: 16107 or 11242

Name: William Richmond Thomas

Born: 1881 or 1882

Unit: RAMC- Family legend says he went to Mons?

Died: 1956  

I have 1 1x1 inch photo and his medal box, but unfortunately no medals! Please see photos 

I have no idea where to start so maybe someone here could help/point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ian

William Richmond Thomas, Sally Swann Great Grandfather.jpg

William Richmond Thomas WW1 Medal Box.jpg

IPT
9 minutes ago, Meadows71 said:

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

Hi,

I am trying to find out about my Great Grandfather, I'm afraid all I can tell you is:-

Service Number: 16107 or 11242

Name: William Richmond Thomas

Born: 1881 or 1882

Unit: RAMC- Family legend says he went to Mons?

Died: 1956  

I have 1 1x1 inch photo and his medal box, but unfortunately no medals! Please see photos 

I have no idea where to start so maybe someone here could help/point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ian

Welcome Ian.

He was 16107 RAMC.  He later transferred to the Royal Engineers with the numbers 276576 and WR/126001.

He was not entitled to a Star medal which means that he didn't serve abroad until 1916 or later.

Mark1959

Do you have any idea where he was born or lived?

Always worth reading the guides at

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/

Welcome

Meadows71
7 hours ago, IPT said:

Welcome Ian.

He was 16107 RAMC.  He later transferred to the Royal Engineers with the numbers 276576 and WR/126001.

He was not entitled to a Star medal which means that he didn't serve abroad until 1916 or later.

IPT thankyou so much this is a great help, will find out where he was born and lived tomorrow

Ian

Willh1664
On 20/06/2019 at 13:03, Derek Walford said:

I have been doing some research for Epping Forest District Museum, who recently held an exhibition of some of his work. Walter Ernest Spradbery volunteered for the RAMC on 14th September 1914, together with his friend Haydn R Mackey. They served initially with the 2nd/3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance, based in England. In February 1917 the 2nd/3rd was disbanded and at some stage (think August 1917) Walter Spradbery, Haydn Mackey and others were transferred to the  3rd Battalion Warwickshire Regiment, which was stationed on the Isle of Wight (training battalion). Walter Spradbery, Haydn Mackey, and others objected as pacifists (at that time many hundreds for RAMC were transferred to combat units) and there was quite a bit about it in the press as well as discussions in Parliament. End of September Walter Spradbery and Haydn Mackey were transferred back to the RAMC in Blackpool. Then they joined the 36th Field Ambulance in France. As mentioned Water Spradbery was awarded the DCM for his actions on 26th August 1918. Haydn Mackey was awarded the MM as a result of the same incident. We know he wrote a letter to his mother (from France) on the day Armistice was declared, but by end of November Walter Spradbery, still in uniform was working for the Imperial War Museum as was Haydn Mackey). Walter Spradbery was back in the UK by early December 1918 and continued to work for the Imperial War Museum until at least the middle of 1919 - producing many pictures recording the RAMC activities during the war.

Regards

Derek

Hi Derek,

Slightly off topic but my great grandfather was with the 36th FA from October 1915 till september 1916 at which point he was sent home for being underage (arrived in France aged 15) He was then sent back to the UK and joined the RAMC Training reserve Battalion at Blackpool. By any chance do you have any more info on this training establishment at Blackpool?

Thanks,

Will