Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Laughton

I have checked to see if I could trace a medical unit arriving in France on 27th May 1915 but was unsuccessful, I do not have all of them but most. You could check the Long, Long Tail as well, if you haven't already done that for dates of arrival.

It is possible that Frederick Horace Whitlock arrived as a reinforcement to a medical unit already serving out there, so that will help to narrow down possible Units to look for information.

Other possibilities to find the unit are the absent voters list or local archived newspapers in the Wandsworth area, if his service records did not survive.

I'm receiving information most days for the RAMC database, but it is coming in faster than I can process it at the moment, so I would keep checking there too.

Good luck

Barbara

Thanks James and Barbara - I will go check the other posting. Indeed I had checked the Long, Long Trail but I needed some guidance as to how RAMC units fit into the "overall picture" of the BEF. I see now that there are a number of possibilities but the list has been narrowed down to 5. I appreciate your assistance.

Let me know if you ever need any assistance from the other side of the pond.

Richard

Good morning...I have been doing my tree for a while and am delighted to have found this thread...My Dad's cousin served in the RAMC and is buried at Etaples...he died of the effects of gas,I believe,on the 14th May 1918...so close to the end of the war.

I feel so humble having a relative (he was one of four of my family killed in the Great War)...I have copies of his diaries from August 1914 through to August 1916 and various bits and pieces of his...I could C & P the diaires for you or email them...a very interesting insight into what went on...

I will be visiting his grave in the spring... God love 'em

FELIX-EDWARD-LEWIS-BURROWS.

1st/3rd NORTH MIDLAND FIELD AMBULANCE,

ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS,

PRIVATE-421100.137 BRIGADE 46TH DIVISION B.E.FORCE.

Below is a poem found in his effects...

banded together for sternest strife.

banded together for death or life:

banded together to face the foe,

be the warfare short and swift, or slow

never to falter till all is done,

the war fiend crashed, and the victory won,

brothers in arms! we fight with might

for liberty, honour, truth and right

I have on my village war memorial in Walsingham, Norfolk

John Lake

Private John Lake

96, 54th (1st/1st East Anglian) Casualty Clearing Station

Royal Army Medical Corps

Friday 13th August 1915 Presumed lost on HMS Royal Edward

Son of Mrs Elena Elizabeth Lake of Knight Street, Little Walsingham

chris

• 3 months later...

Barbara,

from Gallipoli, a photograph of an original grave marker to

[from the CWGC]

Name: TAYLOR, JAMES CRAIK

Initials: J C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Secondary Regiment: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 4th Bn

Date of Death: 08/06/1915

Additional information: Son of James Taylor, Governor of Barlinnie Prison, Glasgow. and Jane Craik Taylor, of Ayr; husband of Agnes W. Taylor, of 12, Newlands Park, Newlands, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 13.

Cemetery: LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY

further details from 'To what end did they die? Officers Died at Gallipoli' by R. W. Walker, 1985

James Craik Taylor was a "Bachelor of Medicine, Served in the South African War, Captain 1906, Died of Wounds"

from Ray Westlake's book 'British Regiments at Gallipoli'

"Arrived Mudros Bay, Lemnos 29th May 1915

Two companies and Machine Gun Section embarked Renard 6th June and to Gallipoli. Landed 'V' Beach, Cape Helles. 7 p.m.

Two companies sailed Rowan. Moved to rest camp and dug in.

Camp shelled 7th June 1915 - Medical Officer James Craik Taylor mortally wounded."

to see a photograph of James Craik Taylor and his record per the University of Glasgow, click

here [click again on the small photograph to enlarge]

Below is a photograph from the IWM's collection [ref Q 50519] as reproduced by Len Sellers in his magazine 'RND' issue No.24, March 2003

It shows two men about to set up a board on a comrade's grave. There are many crosses shown in the picture, but only one has a legible inscription. It is that on the extreme left and reads;

RIP

Major J. C. Taylor RAMC

Attached 4th RSF

the last line is the date which is not (to my eyes anyway) too clear; I cannot make out if it gives the date as the 7th or the 8th

JamesCraikTaylororiginalgravemarker.jpgJamesCraikTaylororiginalgravemar-1.jpg

with best regards

Michael

Barbara

Will have a few MO grave photos for you next week

Chris

Thank you Michael.

I will contact a pal who may have the war diary to see if it is possible that he died on the 7th. His MIC and the University of Glasgow have him recorded as killed in action as opposed to died of wounds by the GWCG. He is in the Lancet as died of wounds but no date is given. I will also contact the University of Glasgow website and ask if they mind me using the photo of him.

Thanks again

Barbara

Thanks Chris.

I'm going to the Somme in a couple of weeks so will look out for medical personnel for you too. I lost quite a few photos i had taken over the last few years when my computer crashed. I backed up all the information and the pictures I held in 'my docs' but forgot about 'my pictures'. :rolleyes:

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got access to a list of over 13000 names on the Liverpool Town Hall WW1 Roll of Honour. At a quick count, and I have not checked any details, there are 32 or 33 listed as RAMC. The details are: name, initials & rank, regt/corps [or ship etc]. Sometimes a unit is shown [FA etc], sometimes only the corps.

No serial number, detail of date of death, burial or memorial is given.

Would you like an extract when I get time?

[in case anyone thinks I can extract whole regiments, I cannot do that yet, but may be able to do so in future].

Daggers

Daggers

Thank you very much for your offer. Sorry for the delay in responding but I have not long returned from a trip to the Somme.

I would welcome any information you can provide on the RAMC men from the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour when you get the time. The men with unit details can go straight onto the website database, the rest can be added to my Access database until further details are found about them. Little bits of information from different sources are helping to build a bigger picture so anything is gratefully received.

I am sure you won't but please do not worry about time, I have masses to be getting on with so as and when will be brilliant.

All the best

Barbara

Daggers

Thank you very much for your offer. Sorry for the delay in responding but I have not long returned from a trip to the Somme.

I would welcome any information you can provide on the RAMC men from the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour when you get the time. The men with unit details can go straight onto the website database, the rest can be added to my Access database until further details are found about them. Little bits of information from different sources are helping to build a bigger picture so anything is gratefully received.

I am sure you won't but please do not worry about time, I have masses to be getting on with so as and when will be brilliant.

All the best

Barbara

Barbara

Wet afternoon, so here goes with the 34 names extracted. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of transcription [note the misspelled rank of the first and most famous entry].

The order is as received: the names are on columns and the transcriber has not started at "A".

I hope this is useful to you.

I can tell you more about how the Roll was assembled, if you want to know.

Daggers

Town_Hall_mem_RAMC_extr.doc

Daggers

Thank you again, I have now downloaded the list (and noted that it was downloaded three time before me :D )

I understand about the accuracy of transcription so will cross reference as much as I can first. Do you want feedback on the men for your own research?

Information on how the Roll was assembled would be interesting and may help.

Barbara

From what I have gathered so far, there was an office adjacent to the Town Hall, where relatives were invited to hand in details of their lost ones. There may also have been a more formal method which I have not yet uncovered. There was a Memorial Committee, probably made up of the great & good, who decided on the form of Roll of Honour and the Memorial Hall, but sadly nothing seems to have survived of their minutes or records.

I have researched a few names from the first column which revealed flaws, as always, but I am not able to go ahead with over 13,000 but thank you for the offer.

I still await an answer about the release of the database, and the possibility of having it in a more logical form.

Daggers

That would explain why some of the unit details are incomplete. I have managed to trace information on all of them though and will add them to the database asap.

Capt Allan is interesting. I have him recorded as being in the TF so now I know it's one of the West Lancs Div Fld Ambs. However looking quickly through them I cannot find one which served in the area he died so that needs investigating more. Maybe he transferred to another unit and more details will surface from a different source at a latter date.

Thanks for all the info

Barbara

Some more to come, as not all were listed as 'R.A.M.C' but with full name of corps and other variants. Not tonight, though.

I am on the way to sorting the Roll data ito a better order.

Daggers

all from hulme,manchester.

cpl 357050 abraham lowe.21 leaf st.

pte 110664 william,henry usher.68 owen st.

pte 61692 william,edward heslop.5 park place.

pte 350055 john,william salthouse.32 river st.

pte 110787 john roose.4 welcomb st.

pte 36433 joseph gadd.91 church st

pte 133425 thomas wilkes.92 church st.

pte 300145 william,joseph toole.36 church st.

pte 4062 edward holt.57A lorn st

pte 110941 william sandford.27 macclesfield st.

pte 133266 james,arthur davenport.36 wenlock st.

harry tutton.25 bradshaw st.

pte 350201 james burns.56 bradshaw st.

capt james,lilwall cormac.160 city rd.

pte 354311 cyril barrett.9 crown st.

pte 136395 alfred brears.10 great jackson st.

pte 42156 joseph jones.3 newton st.

pte 350334 william wilkinson.10 rex st.

pte 354385 samuel cockerham.4 rex st

pte 63182 thomas reilly.10 silver st.

sgt 354017 albert mcphail.18 wood st.

pte 145038 frederick garford.31 york st.

pte 132195 william newall.37 york st.

sgt 32297 lionel,howard chapman.71 york st.

pte 114651 charles,edward edwards.16 ann st.

pte 350517 george hewitt 210 city rd.

sgt T4/247603 harry jones.210 city rd.542nd coy,RAMC

pte 316485 henry,william,james myles.63 lloyd st.

pte 352038 joseph,henry howarth.59 lower moss lane.

pte 133148 michael garnett.4 peel st

pte 18237 joseph collins.77 silver st.

bernard

Dear Bernard

I think that William Joseph Toole living at 36 Church Street, Hulme, RAMC is my mother's cousin, and I am searching for verification as he has no service records. I do have a connection to someone living at 96, and if you do not mind I was wondering if you would check your records to see if my William Joseph's street number is correct as I know how easy it is to type a number incorrectly when transcribing records, and even more so when the documents are old. Do hope you do not think that this a cheeky request. I will explain a litte, his father died in 1914 and his mother's family name was Clark and in 1914 there is a person called Clark living at no. 96. It is a long shot I know as Clark is a very common name and I have hesitated to ask you do this until now.

The above records are such a wonderful resource. Perhaps they should have their own link somewhere as well as in the data base. I think many Manchester men apart from mine lost their records in the bombing and it was only due to this type of information that I eventually traced four others of my close family.

If you can check the address for me I would be very grateful.

Thank you so much,

Bird

Hello Barbara .

Somewhere on this site I put a question about Edward Hamilton Black , and received quite a bit of information . If you already have anything about him I would be interested . His grandaughter may be able to tell you more about him , and she does have later photographs .

Regards ,

Linden

Hi Linden

I did a search and found your query. Edward Hamilton Black is not listed in the Drew index so was a Temporary Officer - The RAMC Temp Officer's service records were destroyed.

I've just put 'Black' in the search for info in my word files (still trying to transfer the info over) but 73 files came up so will have to come back to you on that. I have found some info on him in the Medical Directory but will check other sources first and then let you know what I find. I'm a bit busy tomorrow but will try to answer by then.

Barbara

Linden

Below is all I can find on Edward Hamilton Black, no unit I'm afraid. The Medical Directories from 1918 have him listed in 'Practitioners Resident Abroad'. I don't know about before then. Hope it helps

Barbara

Edward Hamilton BLACK

Qualifications:

Bot. Prize Univ. Edinburgh 1901

M.B., Ch.B. Edinburgh 1906.

D.P.H. (distinc) Cambridge 1914 (Univ & R.C.S. Ed)

D.T.M. & H. London 1924

Certificate (distinc.) London Sch. Trop. Med 1924 (Univ. & R.C.S. Ed.)

Appointments:

Late Asst. Res. Med. Off. Co & City Asy. Hereford

Hon Surgeon W. Suff Gen Hosp

Late Sen. Health Off. Negri Sembilan

Temp Lt RAMC

1918 Army List - Temp Capt RAMC - 10th June 1916

(MIC)

Arrived in France 2/16

Applied for War Medals on 17/6/1920

Address C/O Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China

Kuala Rumpar

Federated Malay Straits.

Publications:

“Value of Polymorph Neutrophile Leucocytes in Dis. with special reference to Vaccine Treatment in Tuberculosis” - Jl Clinic Research 1913.

“The Oxygen Content of the River Sam before and after receiving the Cambridge Sewage Effuent” - Proc Camb. Philis. Soc. 1914.

Retired: Downey Road, Sidney, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, great project.

I have a relative not on your website yet. It would be good to commemorate his service and also to gain your advice on how he may have died.

Private no. 7062 Leslie Minta Leonard who served with the 20th Field Ambulance, RAMC.

He was born in Edmonton in North London in 1895 to Henry and Alice Leonard of 16 Ashmount Road Tottenham.

He had two older brothers, John and Dennis. His father was a Manager of a Colonial Merchants.

He embarked for Havre on the 21st August 1914 aged 19 years thus becoming one of only 199 ranking men in the 20th Field Ambulance to be awarded the 1914 Star. He was also one of only 8 men of the 199 to die and the earliest in March 1915. When he was killed in action on the 3rd March 1915 at Armentieres near Bailleul, south west of Ypres, an important rail head, air depot and hospital centre, he was serving with the 19th Field Ambulance (27th Division, 19th Infantry Brigade under command of Lt Col MM Rattray), having obviously been transferred at some stage after his arrival in France. Seven men died out of 177 in this unit. The 19th Field Ambulance were supporting the Royal Fusiliers, Welsh Fusiliers, Cameronians, 1st Middlesex and the Ammunition Column Train. I am lucky enough to have both his 1914 Star and his Victory Medal, but his BWM is missing.

Thanks

Peter :rolleyes:

... he was serving with the 19th Field Ambulance (27th Division, 19th Infantry Brigade under command of Lt Col MM Rattray), having obviously been transferred at some stage after his arrival in France.

Peter :rolleyes:

Hi Peter

No 20 Field Ambulance formed in Aldershot 16th August 1914 under Major E B Steele, it sailed from Southampton-Rouen on the 19th August 1914 arriving on the 21st, then moved to Le Cateau arriving on the 22nd and joined GHQ.

On the 4th September 1914, the 20th Field Ambulance passed it`s `B` and `C` Sections to reinforce 19 Field Ambulance after their losses at Mons, and the unit continued to operate with `A` Section only. It is highly probable that your relative transferred then. There is a personal diary written by Travis Hampson, a Special Reserve Officer who mobilized with the 20th F A and transferred to the 19th at that time, his diary is transcribed and can be found here

Unfortunately Travis appears to have been acting as RMO to the 5th Scottish Rifles at the time your relative died so there is no mention in it. However, if you have not already seen it, it should provide some idea of the 19th F A's movements. It is quite a detailed diary and as far as I'm aware the 19th Field Ambulance war diary is missing.

Its a bit late now but I will have a look and see if I can find anything else that will help to find out how Pte Leonard died.

Barbara

Hello Barbara and Peter,

I've scanned through the NA Catalogue and the war diary for 19 Field Ambulance is split:

WO 95/1366 covers August 1914 to July 1915 (2nd Division, along with 19 Infantry Brigade etc)

WO 95/2418 covers August 1915 to May 1919 (33rd Division)

Phil

Hi Phil

That's brilliant, thanks for the above. 19 Field Ambulance is one where I have a lot of conflicting information. I have them recorded as being temporarily attached to 6th Division from 12-16th October 1914, and then re-joining 19th Brigade. Attached to 2nd Division from August-November 1915 but then temporarily attached to the 8th Division on 20th July 1915. And then joining the 33rd Division in November 1915. These are from different sources and differ from the war diary dates you've just quoted above. I wasn't aware that they were with the 27th Division either, as suggested in Peter's post. Next time I'm at the National Archive I will look up the above references. If I ever get there again that is, at the moment I can't seem to get away from my in-box.

Cheers

Barbara