Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

barbara,i dont know how many RAMC men there are in the registers that i have,but its definately going to be several hundred,possibly a couple of thousand by the time i have the full set of manchester AVLs,i will post them as often as i can for you,i have to help maintain our manchester forum,which takes up a bit of my time,but i will try my best to post a full page daily,if thats ok.

bernard :D

Bernard

I understand fully that your interests must come first, I am really grateful for your help.

Barbara

Barbara

Charles Marshall is one of my original researchees. I am just waiting for a revised biography to be uploaded to my website (along with the biographies of another 16 RAMC fatalities from the Stockport area) but here's the advanced copy:-

Also aboard was another local man, Harry Turner, also on his way to Gallipoli with a Field Ambulance unit. " [/i]

John

Thanks John. I am thinking I might add him to my database with unit and family information ect and do a link to your website, if that's ok, as the letters come from your research. I will wait until your revised biography is uploaded. (That will also give me time to work out how to do a link :rolleyes: )

In case you are not aware, No 553, Pte Harry TURNER was serving with the 2nd/1st East Lancs. Field Ambulance (T.F.)

Barbara

David

It looks to me as if Edmund O'Neill transferred into the Army Service Corps and not the RAMC. I do not have him listed, sorry.

I have actually just started a new access database to list the men I find who were not RAMC but serving with an RAMC unit. i.e. ASC or priests ect because their names are coming up on nominal rolls, but I am only adding them as I find them and not researching them. If there is anyone who is doing a database on these men, just let me know and I will send the names your way.

Cheers

Barbara

David

It looks to me as if Edmund O'Neill transferred into the Army Service Corps and not the RAMC. I do not have him listed, sorry...

If there is anyone who is doing a database on these men, just let me know and I will send the names your way.

No worries! :rolleyes:

In case you are not aware, No 553, Pte Harry TURNER was serving with the 2nd/1st East Lancs. Field Ambulance (T.F.)

Yep - got him.

As far as I can establish he was a pre-war territorial and was 17 when he died. I know very little about him really. His parents were Emma & James of 11 Wingate Road, Heaton Chapel, Stockport. A memorial service was held for Harry at Heaton Moor Congregationalist Church, where the family worshipped, on Sunday 12 September 1915.

John

I am most interested in knowing more about Lt Col Thomas McCulloch RAMC who is buried at Netley and was a senior doctor at that hospital. He died just a few months after his son was killed in Ypres, I think.

I've just realised how I worded my last post :D

John and Bernard

I have cross-referenced the information you both posted about Capt Charles Bertram Marshall with info I had, and added it to my database. The only thing I can add is that he was a member of the Manchester University Lacrosse Team. I have credited you both for the info and added the website addresses but I am not able to put a link so I have added info from the letters. I did talk to the website designer about adding a links page and that is something he plans to do, so I will add a link then. I wasn't aware of the Manchester Regiment Forum before so I hope I've added the right address.

Please let me know if you are not happy with anything I've put.

ianw, I will keep an eye out for information for you.

Thanks

Barbara

all these were wounded at gallipoli in june 1915.

pte 126 w.noble.blossom st,hulme.2nd ELFA

pte 351 joseph,aloysius callaghan.radnor st,hulme.1st ELFA

L/cpl 98 john cross.kester st,bolton.1st ELFA

sgt 85 hiliad hodges.james st,bolton.1st ELFA

pte 353 arthur,w dean,premier st,brooks bar,manchester.1/3rd ELFA

pte 137 albert,r hill.dean st,radcliffe.3rd ELFA

pte 25 joseph mckiernan carmen st,ardwick,manchester.3rd ELFA

pte 86 john,frederick mills.20 cooke st,hulme.3rd ELFA

cpl 319 john thompson.beal st,bury.3rd ELFA

these were killed at gallipoli

pte 323 arnold williams.2 every st,burnley.2nd ELFA

pte 349 a.j bridge.75 pery st,salford.1st ELFA

pte 55 h.booth.5 bland st,moss side.2nd ELFA

pte 220 w.holmes.10 lees st,burnley.2nd ELFA.

pte 323 arnold williams doesnt seem to exist,hes not listed in SDGW or in the MIC,and hes not on the CWGC.he may be a non comm.

bernard

pte 323 arnold williams doesnt seem to exist,hes not listed in SDGW or in the MIC,and hes not on the CWGC.he may be a non comm.

bernard

He is William ARNOLD, this is what I have on him so far:-

ARNOLD, Private William

No.323 1/2nd East Lancs. Field Ambulance (T.F.)

Born in Trinity, Lancashire, and enlisted in Burnley, Lancs., the son of Robert and Grace Jane Arnold of Burnley. Killed in action in the Helles sector on June 21, 1915, aged 24 years. Name commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Thanks again Bernard

Hello Barbara

For your database, this is what I have on the Medical Officers who served with both battalions of the 19th London Regt (St Pancras). Unfortunately not a huge amount of info given the lack of service records.

The following served with the 1/19th (141 Bde, 47 Div) in chronological order:

1. HANKS, Andrew George Tottenham, Capt - appears to have been comm 6/4/1910, but did not serve overseas w 1/19th. (Shown as A/Major in MIC Index, but I don't know which unit he served with when he held this rank.)

2. PEARSON, LG, Lt - comm 28/10/1914, went overseas w 1/19th on 10/3/1915 until late 1916, and again in March 1917 and early 1918

3. FOTHERINGHAM, William, Capt - served w 1/19th from c. late 1916 early 1917 and again in 1918 - seems to have been a period when PEARSON may have been away sick or wounded. Shown in 1/19th War Diary as being awarded MC on 20 July 1917 and Bar to MC on 4 Jan 1918. Shown as Major in MIC Index.

4. TIBBLES, JR, Lt - served with 1/19th for about 2 months in the spring of 1917 (appears to have been when Pearson and Fotheringham were not available), and was then posted to a battalion of the Buffs. His memoirs are in the Liddle Collection, U of Leeds.

5. From early 1918 to 14 May 1918 the 1/19th had a doctor from the US Army, Lt Charles ROWLAND. There is a photo and some description of him in the book 'The Long Carry' by stretcher bearer Frank Dunham.

6. SELLAR, TM Capt. 1/19th War Diary records that he reported to relieve Lt ROWLAND on 14 May 1918

The following served with the 2/19th (180 Bde, 60 Div), also in chronological order:

1. BROWN , DD, Lt - Comm 19/10/1914, but does not appear to have gone overseas with the 2/19th.

2. PORTEOUS, WJ, Lt - the history of the 2/19th refers to him (p.16) being appointed in sometime early 1916, just before the bn went overseas in June 1916. He was a New Zealander.

3. NEWTON, Charles Herdman, Capt - appears to have been appointed early 1917 while the battalion was in Macedonia. (2/19th history, p.54)

Please let me know if you would like more detail on any of the sources referred to above.

all from hulme,manchester.

cpl 357050 abraham lowe.21 leaf st.

pte 110664 william,henry usher.68 owen st.

pte 61692 william,edward heslop.5 park place.

pte 350055 john,william salthouse.32 river st.

pte 110787 john roose.4 welcomb st.

pte 36433 joseph gadd.91 church st

pte 133425 thomas wilkes.92 church st.

pte 300145 william,joseph toole.36 church st.

pte 4062 edward holt.57A lorn st

pte 110941 william sandford.27 macclesfield st.

pte 133266 james,arthur davenport.36 wenlock st.

harry tutton.25 bradshaw st.

pte 350201 james burns.56 bradshaw st.

capt james,lilwall cormac.160 city rd.

pte 354311 cyril barrett.9 crown st.

pte 136395 alfred brears.10 great jackson st.

pte 42156 joseph jones.3 newton st.

pte 350334 william wilkinson.10 rex st.

pte 354385 samuel cockerham.4 rex st

pte 63182 thomas reilly.10 silver st.

sgt 354017 albert mcphail.18 wood st.

pte 145038 frederick garford.31 york st.

pte 132195 william newall.37 york st.

sgt 32297 lionel,howard chapman.71 york st.

pte 114651 charles,edward edwards.16 ann st.

pte 350517 george hewitt 210 city rd.

sgt T4/247603 harry jones.210 city rd.542nd coy,RAMC

pte 316485 henry,william,james myles.63 lloyd st.

pte 352038 joseph,henry howarth.59 lower moss lane.

pte 133148 michael garnett.4 peel st

pte 18237 joseph collins.77 silver st.

bernard

Hello Charles

Thank you for your list of RMOs. A quick look for info on the Drs in your list for the 1/19th and it is possible that:-

Lt PEARSON LG is Lt Lionel Glover PEARSON

M.B. Durh - 1912 (University Durh & Leeds)

Late Senior Hon Surg, Beckett Hosp, Barnsley

Hon Phy - Leeds General Infirmary

Lt TIBBLES, JR is Lt Joseph Russell TIBBLES

M.B., Ch.B. Aberd 1915

M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond 1915

Capt SELLAR, TM is Capt Thos McCall SELLAR

M.B., Ch.B. Edinburgh 1910

From Midlothian

Info from the 1921 Medical Directory. I will add all the men over the Christmas holiday period and see if I can trace any further information on all of them. Those that were wounded would probably have a mention in The Lancet or Medical Journal but I do not have all the pages and without an exact date it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, I will let you know how I get on. I have found the photo of Dr Charles Rowlands, thank you also for pointing me in that direction. I'm not sure about the other sources yet, I might come back to you if that's OK.

Barbara

Thanks, Bernard

Barbara - thank you for the extra info on those three RMOs.

3. FOTHERINGHAM, William, Capt - served w 1/19th from c. late 1916 early 1917 and again in 1918 - seems to have been a period when PEARSON may have been away sick or wounded. Shown in 1/19th War Diary as being awarded MC on 20 July 1917 and Bar to MC on 4 Jan 1918. Shown as Major in MIC Index. IN ADDITION: b.27/04/1891 Motherwell. d.15/06/1930. Malta 1919-22. Constantinople 1922-23. Awarded MC and bar 1914 Star and clasp. BWM. Vic. MID 01/01/1916, 04/01/1917.

thomas,mccall sellar

educated,royal high school

1910 edinbugh university,played for the 1st XV

M.B Ch.B

LIEUTENANT,RAMC oct 1915,captain jan 1917

MC nov 1918.

bernard

all from hulme,manchester.

pte 350483 edward brown 26 mulberry st

pte 350465 allan brown 26 mulberry st.

pte 352518 george rigby 14 mulberry st.

pte 91466 james heaney 22 overton st.

pte 357031 james fanning[jnr] 77 radnor st

pte 69300 henry booth 13 spruce st

pte 65815 william mole 22 spruce st

286 harold wilfred dodd 37 tafford st

reginald vaughan 21 tranmere st

pte 58000 john,phillip astin 21 walnut st

pte 357089 alfred cherry 12 walnut st

pte 354289 william jones 144 warde st

133281 john vaughan 28 white st

29252 james duffy 8 allen st

pte 357080 john,mark tetlow 29 byrom st

pte 352628 george blundell 35 caroline st

pte 97856 ernest stille 9 councill st

pte 350252 harold colbeck,2/1st ELFA

pte 359026 james yates 8 councill st,66th sanitary section.

pte 127270 stanley fowler 4 councill st

357303 ernest,william greatorex 15 mona st

pte 133032 percy fletcher 32 moulton st

pte 354205 thomas whipp 14 rial st

cpl 350117 harry hunston 43 bonsall st,1/1st ELFA

pte 357297 william,henry honey 19 dale st

sgt 7660 james,henry fisher 5 dunham st

482 robert bryden 7 naylor st

pte 354253 albert jackson 7 naylor st

pte 350537 rex willoughby 45 naylor st

pte 352028 maurice,charles hackney 27 patchett st,1/2nd ELFA

staff/sgt 67705 albert leaf 62 phillips st.

bernard

Mick and Bernard - thanks for additional details on those two RMOs.

Barbara - when my database is reasonably complete I will send you a file with the 300 or so RAMC men transferred into the 19th. It will be a few months before I am finished though.

Thanks also to Mick and Bernard for additional info on the RMOs and thanks again Bernard for posting more from the absent voters lists.

Charles - thanks again for your offer of sending your file of 300 men who transferred from the RAMC, that would be brilliant and there is no rush at all.

I have located W Fotheringham's name on a nominal roll for Officers, Warrant Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers in the History of the 5th London Field Ambulance T.F. As they were serving with the 141st Bde it is possible that that's why he stood in for Pearson. I haven't found Pearson in the Lancet as yet.

I can only trace one D D Brown and that is Daniel Durward BROWN. He had a practice at Norfolk Lodge, Leeds Rd, Harrogate. M.D. Durh - 1913; MRCS & LRCP - Lond 1894 and LSA - 1894 (St Bart) Capt RAMC 1914. There is more about him, not war related, which I will add to my database.

That's all I've found so far, I'll add them to the database and keep looking.

Barbara

all these were wounded at gallipoli in june 1915.

pte 126 w.noble.blossom st,hulme.2nd ELFA...

bernard

For what it is worth I own the 1914/5 star and victory medal to 126 PTE W. NOBLE. I hope that the BWM is still out there and not gone the way of most silver medals in the 1960/70s.

Hi Barbara

just been looking thru the service records on ancestry and under JOH for some reason i found 6409 CLIFFORD BURNS RAMC. Only 2 pages ( both the same ) . The only other piece of information i can gleen from the sheet is he had a silver war badge no B305006.

Hope this may be of help.

Regards Scott

I have located W Fotheringham's name on a nominal roll for Officers, Warrant Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers in the History of the 5th London Field Ambulance T.F. As they were serving with the 141st Bde it is possible that that's why he stood in for Pearson.

That is good lateral thinking. I hadn't thought of that, but it certainly makes sense for the RMOs to have transferred from the divisional field ambulances and vice versa depending on requirements.

I forgot that I had a photocopy of "A brief record of the 6th London Field Ambulance" pub London (no date). I think this is a different document from the one you were referring to as they were attd 142 Bde: if so, do you have it? FOTHERINGHAM appears in this under the nominal roll of officers (p. 35). There is also a Capt ROWLAND, but no indication as to whether he was the US officer who served with the 1/19th.

Thanks for additional info on Brown too. The file of the RAMC transferrees wil be a while yet.

Barbara,

I wonder if this is of interest

The photograph below is of the 2/4th (London) Field Ambulance - 60th Division

and comes from a collection at the Library of Congress (USA)

ColLaytonandSecondFourthLondonField.jpg

quote from picture's caption "First Medical Unit to enter the City"

This refers to the surrender of Jerusalem, 9th December 1917

Regarding Col. Layton, the following are the refs which I have been able to find for him in the LG

SUPPLEMENT TOTHE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 FEBRUARY, 1917

ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS.

Capt. (temp. Maj.) T. B. Layton, M.D., to be acting Lt.-Col. whilst comdg. a Field Amb. 22nd Aug. 1916.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1918.

War 0ffice, 3rd June, 1918.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with Military Operations in Egypt. Dated 3rd June, 1918: —

AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER

Capt. (A./Lt.-Col.) Thomas Bramley Layton, M.D., R.A.M.C.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 APRIL, 1919.

Capt. T. B. Layton, D.S.O., M.B., to be actg. Maj. whilst specially empld. 16th Oct 1918.

4th London Field Ambulance.—Capt. (actg. Lt.-Col.) T. B. Layton, D.S.O., M.D., relinquishes his actg. rank on ceasing to be specially empld. 10th July 1918.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JULY, 1919.

Capt. (actg. Maj.) T. B. Layton, D.S.O., M.D., relinquishes his actg. rank on ceasing to be specially empld. 10th Feb. 1918.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 JULY, 1920.

UNATTACHED LIST FOR THE TERRITORIAL FORCE.

OFFICERS' TRAINING CORPS.

London University Contingent (Medical Unit) Sen. Div.

Capt. T. B. Layton, D.S.O., M.D., from R.A.M.C. (T.F.), to be Maj., and to command the Medical Unit. 31st July 1920.

Happy New Year

Michael

The photograph below comes from the same collection,

however I am unable to add anything

as the photographer's caption seems to be an unclear mixture of titles.

Looking at the OofB for the EEF, the closest which I can get to a match is

'Casualty Clearing Stations and Clearing Hospitals

Palestine Lines of Communication

34th Combined Clearing Hospital (formerly 65th Casualty Clearing Station)'

34thCasualtyClearingHospital.jpg