Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Mate,

Just to follow this thread here are some more soldiers with the RAMC I have on record with the Camel Bde;

Akroyd Edgar 4158 Pte 3Bn HQ batman to Chaplain Ex 1/8Bn Lancashire Fusiliers and Liverpool Regt (60141) to RAMC (337832)

Braithwaite Jonathan 51241 A/L/Cpl 7Co Ex Scottish Horse RAMC (283) and Hussars WIA 27-3-18

Broadway Frank P. 50523 Pte ICC Ex Dorset Yeo (230032) to L/Cpl RAMC (533202)

Greer William B 51234 Pte ICC? Ex RAMC (149) and Hussars

Irving William 51235 Pte ICC? Ex RAMC (249) and Hussars

Maddison Joseph 51323 Pte 7Co Ex RAMC (49119) and Hussars WIA 27-3-18

McCall Francis 50375 Pte ICC Ex 1/1st Ayrshire Yeo (2305) and Hussars to RAMC (311201)

Metcalf William 51236 Pte ICC? Ex Scottish Horse RAMC (245) and Hussars

Morris John T 51233 Pte ICC Ex RAMC (245) and Hussars

Nolan Michael 51405 Pte ICC Ex RAMC (34563) and Hussars

Riley Robert J 8778 Cpl att 1Bn HQ Ex 1/1 Welsh FA and RAMC (53227)

Rimmington Thomas L 20623 L/Cpl 10Co Ex RAMC

Shedden Alexander B. 51240 Pte ICC? Ex RAMC (236) and Hussars

Skipper Sydney H. 51408 Pte ICC Ex RAMC (1668) and Hussars

It looks like some came from the two British FA's mentioned above.

Any ideas here

S.B

Steve

Akroyd Edgar 4158 Pte 3Bn HQ batman to Chaplain Ex 1/8Bn Lancashire Fusiliers and Liverpool Regt (60141) to RAMC (337832)

The service number 337832 falls in the range of service numbers allocated to the 1st West Lancashire Field Ambulance.

Broadway Frank P. 50523 Pte ICC Ex Dorset Yeo (230032) to L/Cpl RAMC (533202)

The service number 533202 falls in the range of service numbers allocated to the London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance.

McCall Francis 50375 Pte ICC Ex 1/1st Ayrshire Yeo (2305) and Hussars to RAMC (311201)

The service number 311201 falls in the range of service numbers allocated to the Scottish Horse Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance.

A couple of the above received the SWB so I think it is possible that they were wounded or became ill and seen as no longer fit for service abroad and may therefore have been transferred to the RAMC for home service in the military and war hospitals.

Riley Robert J 8778 Cpl att 1Bn HQ Ex 1/1 Welsh FA and RAMC (53227)

I cannot trace 53227 Cpl Robert J Riley. However I did trace 53217 Pte Robert James Riley who died 8th June 1918 whilst serving with the 66th Field Ambulance.

Rimmington Thomas L 20623 L/Cpl 10Co Ex RAMC

Thomas was awarded the MM, LG date 17/6/1919 whilst serving with the 2nd Field Ambulance. He entered war on 29th October 1914 but he is not listed on the 1914 medal roll for the 2nd Field Ambulance so did not enter the war with them. I am slowly working through the 1914 medal rolls to RAMC who entered the war with combatant regiments but haven’t had a chance to transfer all the information over so will have to come back to you on this one. I have noticed that some entries in the LG for TF personnel state 1st or 2nd Field Ambulance when it should be 1st [TF Unit] Field Ambulance or 2nd [TF Unit] Field Ambulance.

Metcalf William 51236 Pte ICC? Ex Scottish Horse RAMC (245) and Hussars - Should this be service no 250?

Braithwaite Jonathan 51241 A/L/Cpl 7Co Ex Scottish Horse RAMC (283) and Hussars WIA 27-3-18

Shedden Alexander B. 51240 Pte ICC? Ex RAMC (236) and Hussars

Skipper Sydney H. 51408 Pte ICC Ex RAMC (1668) and Hussars

Greer William B 51234 Pte ICC? Ex RAMC (149) and Hussars

Irving William 51235 Pte ICC? Ex RAMC (249) and Hussars

Maddison Joseph 51323 Pte 7Co Ex RAMC (49119) and Hussars WIA 27-3-18

Morris John T 51233 Pte ICC Ex RAMC (245) and Hussars

Nolan Michael 51405 Pte ICC Ex RAMC (34563) and Hussars

I’ll have to check the 14-15 Star medal rolls on these at the National Archive as there appears to confusion on the MICs as to whether they served with the Scottish Horse or were RAMC attached, or some of them anyway. I’m not sure when I will be going again but I am also intrigued now so will let you know.

Hope the above helps

Barbara

Barbara. Do you have any info/details on 104444 Pte Albert Irving McDougall 54th Field Ambulance RAMC ? if not I have a lot, he is one of "my" soldiers from Milnrow. Ralph.

Hi rjaydee

Pte McDougall is already on the on-line database, his profile is here.

I don't have any further information but if you are happy to add to it then I will credit the research to you.

Thanks

Barbara

BJay.

Whilst carrying out local parish searches For my Cpl John Bradshaw RAMC, I have come across the following marriage which I suspect might be his brother as I have a picture of them together in uniform.

Marriage. St. Paul. Walkden 22/4/1916

Robert Bradshaw. Orderly RAMC, Caubrook Military Hospital

To

Hilda Mary Glyn

I've not yet checked the MIC'S ( 3 x Richard Bradshaw all privates) but, Where was Caubrook Hospital?

Hoping the info will help you and that you can help me.... Cheers

Barbara. A I McDougall enlisted 18-11-1915, born 19-8-1888 Milnrow, baptised 8-9-1888, died from bronchial pneumonia in 19th CCS, employed as a cotton operative at Bury and Heape, Elton Mills Bury,member of the Milnrow Conservative Club and one time member of the Church Lads Brigade St James Church Milnrow. Regards. Ralph.

Many thanks Ralph, I have now transferred the info to Pte McDougall's profile on the database.

Barbara

Robert Bradshaw. Orderly RAMC, Caubrook Military Hospital

Radlad

I have not come across the above military hospital. I checked the list I have on UK hospitals but there is a possibility that it could have been a military hospital abroad. Information concerning the Military hospitals (as opposed to the General or Stationary hospitals] are usually found in the areas they were situated so it might be an idea to start up a separate thread which could attract someone researching a specific area.

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bobtie

Hello Barbara,

In researching my GILLIAT ancestors, I came across the WW1 Service Records of George Nicholas Earle GILLIAT. As you are researching former members of CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) units, I thought you might like to add George to the list.

He was born in 1882 in Manchester and enlisted in the Army on 9 Oct 1915; he was nearly 37 when he enlisted. In the 1911 Census, his occupation is recorded as Yarn Salesman.

He served in the 64th CCS (East Lancashire) and his service number was 356050.

George embarked at Southampton on 2 Mar 1917 and disembarked at Havre the next day.

He had two stints in France - the first from March 1917 to February 1918, and the second from March 1918 to February 1919. Including his disembodied service, he served 4 yrs 175 days.

One document in his service records is quite amusing:

"On August 12th, 1918, whilst batting in a cricket match against No. 11 CCS, I saw that No.356050 Pte N. E. Gilliant RAMC (TF) received a severe blow on the shin from the cricket ball which appeared to cause him considerable pain.

H. Boardman (signed)

Cpl 64 CCS"

The match took place in Houlle, France - a quiet day in the war?

On 13 Feb 1919, he departed Dunkirk for England and demobilisation. Shortly after returning home, he married Marjorie Stott and they had 2 children.

George passed away in Cheshire in 1968.

Regards,

Bob Tyghe

Nowra, Australia

Hi Bob

Thank you for the above profile on George Nicholas Earle Gilliat, I will transfer it all over to the RAMC database asap.

Barbara

In case you may have missed it there is a good series of photos in the Women section nameing a few RAMC men and mentioning their units that are not on your site. (the men I mean).

Alan

Hello Alan

Yes I had a look through the photo album when it first appeared on the forum, there are some fantastic photographs of various hospitals. I had a quick look at some of the names mentioned but thought they needed researching as it wasn't immediately obvious whether or not they were patients or working in the hospitals. I did a name search on Ancestry and noticed that most had common names. I see now that Sue has became involved and the album is on the WF Association website so when I have time I will have a read through.

Thank you for bringing the thread to my attention.

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

Barbara

Your website is amazing!

Had a quick search but didn't see either of these two so thought I'd post them in case you can use them

They are from War Illustrated 1916, there may be more in the other volumes, do you already have them all?.

JWilkieScottRAMC.jpgWJohnsonMDRAMC.jpg

Caryl

Thanks Caryl for your comments on the website and for posting these pictures of Capt Joseph Wilkie Scott and Capt William Johnson. I've done a quick search and have found some information so will add them both to the database in the next couple of days.

I do not have copies of War Illustrated so any pictures of the RAMC would be really welcome.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Barbara

It's a pleasure Barbara. I have Vols 1-6, glad to put them to some use for someone else.

I'm in absolute awe of the amount of work you've done. Would you like the photos of RAMC who won awards and are on the awards given pages or those who died and are in the Rolls of Honour photo pages? or both? Either, or both are fine

Caryl

Photos of both would be brilliant but that said I do have quite a few pictures of the officers who died as they appear in the Lancet and Rolls of Honour to universities. I haven't had a chance to get them all onto the database as yet because there is usually a lot of information to add as well and putting their service into chronological order is what takes up the time. Photographs of RAMC who won awards or non-commissioned officers who were casualties are the ones I would have more problems finding.

Thanks again.

Barbara

I understand Barbara. The 'Roll of Honoured dead' photo pages only show officers, but the awards photo pages show all ranks

Won't flood you with them, will just send a few at a time via e-mail as I come across them. I'm photographing them anyway bit by bit

Caryl

Hi Barbara

6106 Cpl William George Martin - 4th Field Ambulance and I believe a regular.

Invalided out of the Army 23/3/1916 as a result of 'consumption' brought on by service in France and Flanders.

Died 18/1/1917 and buried in a CWGC Marked Grave in St Mary's Churchyard Brixham.

I have a photo of the grave marker if of any interest.

Have just had a look at your website - its absolutely amazing.

Just as a point of interest I posted two photos on GWF in the 'OTHER' section recently. One shows the RAMC St Davids' Military Hospital Orchestra Malta and the other is an unidentified TA RAMC Band - please feel free to use them if you wish. Will also be pleased to send scans of same.

Regards

Peter

Barbara. I have a newspaper photo of Albert Irving McDougall if of use to you. Please pm me your email address if you want it. Regards. Ralph.

I understand Barbara. The 'Roll of Honoured dead' photo pages only show officers, but the awards photo pages show all ranks

Won't flood you with them, will just send a few at a time via e-mail as I come across them. I'm photographing them anyway bit by bit

Caryl

Thanks again Caryl. The email on my website has been closed down until September but this is mainly because my shift pattern has to change at work in the summer to cover staff holidays and so I am not always in a position to keep up with the queries. I feel it is better this way than to keep people waiting a long time for an answer. You should be able to email me via the forum though, if you have any problems then please let me know.

Hi Barbara

6106 Cpl William George Martin - 4th Field Ambulance and I believe a regular.

Invalided out of the Army 23/3/1916 as a result of 'consumption' brought on by service in France and Flanders.

Died 18/1/1917 and buried in a CWGC Marked Grave in St Mary's Churchyard Brixham.

I have a photo of the grave marker if of any interest.

Have just had a look at your website - its absolutely amazing.

Just as a point of interest I posted two photos on GWF in the 'OTHER' section recently. One shows the RAMC St Davids' Military Hospital Orchestra Malta and the other is an unidentified TA RAMC Band - please feel free to use them if you wish. Will also be pleased to send scans of same.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for your offer of a photograph of Cpl Martin's grave marker, I would love a copy for the website. Cpl Martin was a regular, he enlisted in 1912. He has a pension record, which is indexed wrongly on Ancestry. According to his MIC he entered the war with No 3 General Hospital so presumably changed unit but I will try and put a profile together on the website from his service record over the weekend. He is definitely not on the roll of men who arrived in France with the 4th Field Ambulance.

I've just had a look through your thread on Territorial Military Bands, which is really interesting. I have received a couple of photographs of bands from relatives recently so will keep a copy of both of yours just in case additional information comes this way. It would be great if the unknown group could be identified.

Regards

Barbara

Barbara. I have a newspaper photo of Albert Irving McDougall if of use to you. Please pm me your email address if you want it. Regards. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph, that would be brilliant. My PM system is not working at the moment but I will try to activate it again, if not I will contact a Mod to help. Hopefully you will 'hear' from me soon.

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

Barbara

No photo of the man, but a while ago I visited the grave at Houchin of Pte LG Stoneman of RAMC 1st Wessex Field Ambulance, he died during the German attack of 9th April 1918 when attached to 2/1 WFA. I went looking for the grave as, as far as I know he was one of my father's orderlies/stretcher bearers at his ADS at Lone Farm near Givenchy.

(If you would like a copy of the photo at full res drop me a line)

Alfred

post-13413-084523000 1279732656.jpg

Alfred

Thank you very much for posting a photograph Pte Stoneman's grave marker, it is now on his profile on the database.

Just out of interest, would your father have been Major Ellis or Lieutenant Morrison? Both appear to have been in command of the ADS at Lone Farm at the time Pte Stoneman was killed.

Regards

Barbara

Barbara,

My father was Lieut Morris, the "Morrison" was a typo.

This photo of him is from when he was commissioned in January 1918.

(My avatar is a photo of the badge off his cap)

Alfred

post-13413-007327200 1279780377.jpg