Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Thank you very much for this. There are a number of paintings by him in the IWM of the kind one would expect to have been done by an official war artist, although the IWM catalogue does not describe him s such, or, indeed, say miuch about him at all. He certainly seems from your account to have remained with the RAMC  to the end, so that his artist activity - whether or not 'official' - seems to have been carried out alongside his Field Ambulance duties.

He is understood to have volunteered for the RAMC as a lifelong pacifist and effectively conscientious objector, because he could not morally participate as a combatant.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was in Scotland i discovered another relative who was killed while with the RAMC on the Somme.  He was actually killed well behind the the front lines, when his hospital was bombed. He was a Lt. Col. Robertson, and I know that I have read a book written by a physician which makes mention of a Robertson several times and that guy WAS killed.  Problem is, I can't remember which book.  I have both purchased books written by physicians, and downloaded lots from the Archive.

So my question is, has anyone come across this man anywhere in the literature?  I don't think his body was found but am only beginning to check him out.

Thanks,

Hazel

I am interested in Pipe Majors of the RAMC - not just during WW1. If anyone would like to have a look at my list please send me an email at aad@blueyonder.co.uk and I will attach the list (a 2 page Word document) with my reply. The list is still very much "work in progress".

Aad

• 8 months later...

Recently been looking at relatives who served in ww1 and came across my great great grandfather George Brown who I presume from the pic we have of him to have served in the RAMC. He was born 1879 in Alfreton, Derbyshire but was a coal miner living in Bolsover, Derbyshire just before the war.

I've been trying to find out which regiment he served in but with such a common name I've come up blank.

IMG-20180107-WA0000.jpg

you will have to find a Medal Index Card for him. this should give his number and regiment. The badge on his sleeve does not neccessarily mean RAMC?Try the national archives website for this

Johnboy Yeah I understand that (done so for other family members) and have tried, failed so far.

And Kath he was married to Elizabeth Ann Brown (Higginbotham). My sister is signed up to ancestry.

2 minutes ago, johnboy said:

I take it he survived the war?

Yes he did. But where he served, what years etc I don't know as my grandma can't remember anymore 

Apologies for not ploughing through all 23 pages of this thread...but wondered if you have this individual:

Pte James Gerrard (Service Nos. 2073 and 341646) RAMC.  He was awarded the Military Medal, gazetted on 2 Nov 1917, for service with the 1/3rd West Lancashire Field Ambulance. 

Sadly I have no further details of his service...it seems his records were destroyed. :(

Just over a year ago I acquired a photograph of a group of men of the RAMC taken in August 1917. Roughly 500 men are in the picture formed up like schools do for group photos. Most of the front row have musical instruments of some sort. Would this be of interest if I can find a way of getting a decent digital image of it? The sheer size is awkward to take a basic photo of it.

4 hours ago, Ataphanes said:

Just over a year ago I acquired a photograph of a group of men of the RAMC taken in August 1917. Roughly 500 men are in the picture formed up like schools do for group photos. Most of the front row have musical instruments of some sort. Would this be of interest if I can find a way of getting a decent digital image of it? The sheer size is awkward to take a basic photo of it.

Suggest you take multiple images of parts of the photo and then stitch them together using Photoshop or similar. 

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:33, Buffnut453 said:

Suggest you take multiple images of parts of the photo and then stitch them together using Photoshop or similar. 

Will see what I can do. Not exactly sure how I do that.

• 1 month later...

Hi Barbara

I have looked thru some of your mammoth thread. wondering if you could please check if you have anything on my grandfather George Parfoot RMAC 94018. For some reason he was a Sapper Royal Engineers then RMAC then R. E. (Railways).  Have not been able to find any Service details (only medal roll). Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Heather

Hi Heather

i don't have anything on George unfortunately. I've come across lots of reasons why men transferred in and out of the RAMC. Mainly it was because they were injured or impaired in such a way that they could no longer be with frontline units/regiments but were able to support in medical units further back or in the UK. That said he might have had a specific skill that the RAMC required at the time and so he was transferred over. If you are able to find out where he served as a Sapper then it might be an idea to see what medical units were in the same Division, or in the area at the time.

I have started working my way through the medical war diaries. Mainly trying to follow the movements of the officers but when I come across ORs I am adding them to my on-line database. It might be worth keep checking it out every now and again.

Barbara

Hi , I am researching my relative Frederick William Richard  Flint 35 Coy RAMC  number 86280 Private. He survived. I don't have any more info! Where can I start. Would love to know what unit he was attached to. Thank you, your task looks incredible. 

Hi Penny

I can't find a Medal Index Card for Frederick, which indicates that he didn't serve abroad. That said, although rare, I have come across men whose name and service number appear in war diaries but I can't trace an MIC for them, so you never really know. You are obviously aware that he served with No 35 Coy. It might be worth contacting the AMS Museum or checking the Wellcome Library website to see if they have any information about the Company. It is highly unlikely they will have info about Frederick but knowing where the Company was and what they were doing around the time might help.

Regards

Barbara

Not sure if this is the best place to post this photograph but this is a Postcard photo, clearly identifiable as RAMC. Sadly I have no idea who it is (came from a selection of similar cards in a collection of my Great Aunts and probably has a Doncaster connection somewhere along the line). The bottom corner is stamped 'Miss F Maxwell,  187 Rosemount Place, Aberdeen'  My investigations confirm that she was indeed a photographer at that address and I have found her details from 1918-1925 although she may have been there earlier/later. Doesn't help identify the chap in the photo though, which is a shame as it is such a lovely, clear picture of him. How sad tgart I cannot know his story.

image.jpeg

Hi thank you. In my research I came across the RAMC archived journals which provide fascinating information on what work the RAMC did in the field. Graphic descriptions on field ambulances and his various wounds etc were treated. Also gives names of servicemen who received medals, etc,. I am sure you all probably know about these but just in case here's the link! http://jramc.bmj.com/content/by/year/1915

On 8 March 2018 at 19:49, Margosh said:

Doesn't help identify the chap in the photo though, which is a shame as it is such a lovely, clear picture of him. How sad tgart I cannot know his story.

image.jpeg

I agree it's a lovely photo, and sad you don't know his identity. Looks like he was TF. Hopefully someone will be able to identify him in the future. 

15 hours ago, Penny1962 said:

Hi thank you. In my research I came across the RAMC archived journals which provide fascinating information on what work the RAMC did in the field. Graphic descriptions on field ambulances and his various wounds etc were treated. Also gives names of servicemen who received medals, etc,. I am sure you all probably know about these but just in case here's the link! http://jramc.bmj.com/content/by/year/1915

Yes I have seen these. Thanks for the link though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning to you All

Do you have any information on Private 74455 Frederick Thomas Humphries of Royal Army Medical Corps. He was killed on the 24/03/1918 while attached to the 2nd Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.

Regards

Andy

• 1 month later...

Just throwing this out there in the infinitesimally small chance that someone recognizes the man in the photo or can add further insights that might help identify him.

My dear old Mum recently came to visit and brought with her the "family photos".  Several were of people we couldn't identify, including this man who clearly served in the RAMC at some point.

855715765_Unknown4-RAMCSoldierWW1.jpeg.e099c144963baff5f0ab8b9c17920fd4.jpeg

His fabric shoulder badges perhaps indicate that he was serving prior to 1908 but, sadly, I have no idea who he is.  The photo was taken in my home town of St.Helens, Lancashire (at least it was Lancashire back then!).  I can't tie him to any of my known male relatives and so I have to presume he was either a neighbour or a friend of the family.  

I've posted this picture on other threads but am adding it here in hopes that it attracts more interest from RAMC cognoscenti.

Many thanks,

Mark