Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

23 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Barbara

I have to confess that I haven't seen this thread before and haven't read all 20 pages yet, so I won't know if you give any access to your database. I am in early stages of  looking around for more info on a RAMC soldier without managing to find his unit, which for me is not a surprise, knowing the paucity of individual info now available.

I won't (yet) be boring you with the little info I have and might do that once I have taken all the dark alleys of info-seek.

What has occurred to me as I see some of your pages and the ways of collecting info is the number of RAMC staff I have seen mentioned by name and number/rank within the War Diaries of the Casualty Clearing Stations. You may or may not have already tapped this source, but if not it's a fruitful area.

Hi Sotonmate

Thanks for the heads up on the CCS war diaries, I really appreciate it.

I’ve found most medical unit war diaries to be a great source of info on RAMC staff.  The problem is it is not advisable to just transfer the names from a diary straight over to the on-line database unfortunately, or so I’ve learnt. RAMC staff tended to move around units a bit, especially officers in CCS - an officer, for example, might get a mention in a diary because he has done something noticeable, however, he maybe part of a surgical team, only temporarily there for a big action.  I’m slowly working my way through the war diaries of the first medical units that went over in 1914, and adding relevant info to an Access database behind the scenes to get a bigger picture - it’s a marathon job but I do really enjoy doing it.

I don’t allow access to the database to first set up a profile. Once a profile is active though, then it is possible for others to add to it.  I just need to check it first then activate the message.  It is done this way to stop spammers getting onto the database.

Thanks

Barbara

18 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi BJanman

How about Private Frederick Thomas Humphries R A M C who was attached to the 2nd Ox & Bucks, 5th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Division who was killed 24/03/1918. I have just submitted a case to the authorities for identification of this man.

Regards Andy

Excellent! 

I hope it works out.  Will be fantastic for Frederick to get a headstone identifying his final resting place.  

Barbara

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2016 at 17:20, BJanman said:

Hi Sotonmate

Thanks for the heads up on the CCS war diaries, I really appreciate it.

I’ve found most medical unit war diaries to be a great source of info on RAMC staff.  The problem is it is not advisable to just transfer the names from a diary straight over to the on-line database unfortunately, or so I’ve learnt. RAMC staff tended to move around units a bit, especially officers in CCS - an officer, for example, might get a mention in a diary because he has done something noticeable, however, he maybe part of a surgical team, only temporarily there for a big action.  I’m slowly working my way through the war diaries of the first medical units that went over in 1914, and adding relevant info to an Access database behind the scenes to get a bigger picture - it’s a marathon job but I do really enjoy doing it.

I don’t allow access to the database to first set up a profile. Once a profile is active though, then it is possible for others to add to it.  I just need to check it first then activate the message.  It is done this way to stop spammers getting onto the database.

Thanks

Barbara

Hello Barbara

Do you know whether all RAMC personnel had also to be in a field ambulance company?  My gt uncle, Arthur Robertson Wightman, was a lieutenant and then a captain in the RAMC. In the Gazette he is at 3rd Northern General Hospital, Sheffield in 1914 & enlists from there. Arrived in France in May 1915, there is a photo of him sitting 2 away from Winston Churchill on the latter's last day with the 6th Royal Scots Fusiliers. He isn't mentioned in the book about WC in the trenches nor in the 6th war diary.  I've found a newspaper article of 1933 in which ARW is attending an important Royal Scots dinner and is listed under 13th battalion RS.  So am very puzzled. Could he have joined Royal Scots after the amalgamation of 6/7 RSF?  If you have a database of RAMC personnel would you mind having a look for him.  He didn't die in the war but lived on in Edinburgh dying in 1956. Many thanks. Liz

Hi Liz

There were no hard and fast rules as to where any medical officer served, they were basically sent where they were needed.  In 1914 they were allocated to a specific medical unit and tended to stay with that unit up until the end of 1914.  When it became obvious that the war would continue many of the regular RAMC officers were sent back to the UK to help out with the training of the new medical units being formed and/or take command of these new medical units.  By 1917, MOs were being sent all over the place - I’ve noticed that many of the RMO’s tended to be attached to the field ambulances by then, and were being sent backwards and forwards from the field ambulances to the regiments.

On a quick search I’ve come across a Capt Wightman mentioned in the war diary of the ADMS (Assistant Director of Medical Services) for the 15th Division.  It states “Capt. Wightman to be in medical and sanitary charge of Div. Arty.”   I’m not that knowledgable on the Regiments but from looking at the Long, Long, Trail website it looks as if the 6/7 RSF served in this Division - so thats promising.   The diary entry is dated 20th December 1918 but I don’t have a copy of the complete diary - it might be an idea for you to check out the diary on this date and then, maybe, work your way back through it to follow his movements.  If it is confirmed this is your Gt Uncle, the additionally it might be an idea to check out the war diaries for all the field ambulances attached to the 15th Division to see if he appears in them.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Barbara

Edited by BJanman

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2007 at 16:02, manchester regiment said:

all these were wounded at gallipoli in june 1915.

pte 126 w.noble.blossom st,hulme.2nd ELFA

pte 351 joseph,aloysius callaghan.radnor st,hulme.1st ELFA

L/cpl 98 john cross.kester st,bolton.1st ELFA

sgt 85 hiliad hodges.james st,bolton.1st ELFA

pte 353 arthur,w dean,premier st,brooks bar,manchester.1/3rd ELFA

pte 137 albert,r hill.dean st,radcliffe.3rd ELFA

pte 25 joseph mckiernan carmen st,ardwick,manchester.3rd ELFA

pte 86 john,frederick mills.20 cooke st,hulme.3rd ELFA

cpl 319 john thompson.beal st,bury.3rd ELFA

these were killed at gallipoli

pte 323 arnold williams.2 every st,burnley.2nd ELFA

pte 349 a.j bridge.75 pery st,salford.1st ELFA

pte 55 h.booth.5 bland st,moss side.2nd ELFA

pte 220 w.holmes.10 lees st,burnley.2nd ELFA.

pte 323 arnold williams doesnt seem to exist,hes not listed in SDGW or in the MIC,and hes not on the CWGC.he may be a non comm.

bernard

Could I ask the source of this information?

Only reason I ask is that Joseph Aloysius Callaghan is a relative of mine, and I am trying to find as much information as possible.

I am trying to find his Army records or at least a date of birth/death to confirm it is the correct Callaghan.

Medal Index Card should be free on Ancestry. Click on military ww1 and the section should be on the right hand side.

Is this him?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1105431?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/51578

Lieutenant Joseph Aloysius CALLAGHAN

The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment).

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

His Medal Card is here

Medal card of Callaghan, Joseph Aloysius
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Army Medical Corps              351                           Private
South Lancashire Regiment               351 Private

South Lancashire Regiment

20 Hawthorne Rd., Dearne, Bolton, Lancs.

Kath.

Edited by Kath
address

One service number is probably incorrect? When changing regiments a new number would be issued. If transferring from one battalion to another the same number was kept.

8 minutes ago, johnboy said:

One service number is probably incorrect? When changing regiments a new number would be issued. If transferring from one battalion to another the same number was kept.

It might have been as an attachment with the RAMC (rather than a transfer) so the number would remain the same.

Craig

Get the point Craig but if attached would he be recorded with the other regiment?

11 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Get the point Craig but if attached would he be recorded with the other regiment?

It depends on the roll - some do and some don't.

Craig

Hi BJanman

A few more names to add, those I've come across in researching a couple of books:

11505, Corporal, Edward Stephen Edgerton, RAMC

25 General Hospital [Dammes Camiers to 31/5/16 then Hardelot to 31/7/17]

Born Pelsall, Staffordshire 1888 or 1889. Landed France 16/6/15; transferred to 1/Coldstream Guards October 1918 (to be near his brother);

kia 4/11/18 aged 29; buried Frasnoy Comm Cem (Plot A.11)

2316, Private, James Hayward, RAMC

Born in Coalpool, Walsall, Staffordshire in 1892 or 1893.

Employed as a colliery banksman.

Served first in a hospital in Wales. Landed in the Balkan theatre on 10th August 1915.

Survived.

146515, Private, Edward 'Ted' Lester, RAMC

Born in Bloxwich, Staffordshire in 1889 or 1890. 

Employed as an awl-blade maker.

Enlisted 1916. Served initially in South Staffordshire Regiment (No.30921)

Survived.

1952, Private, Harry Virginus Perks, RAMC

Born in Old Hill, Staffordshire in 1896 or 1897.

Single. Mine worker employed at Allens Rough Colliery.

Volunteered 14th Sept. 1914. Trained for field ambulance work with the 15th Midland Brigade at Witham, Essex; landed in France on 29th March 1915.

Later transferred to ASC>RWF>1/Worcestershire.

kia 14th October 1918 at Arras. Buried in plot VI.C.42 of Orchard Dump Cemetery, Arleux-en-Gohelle, East of Arras.

135680, Private George Swindles, RAMC

Born in Melcombe Regis, near Weymouth, Dorset in 1883.

Enlisted in Ox & Bucks LI (4662, Private)>RAMC>RWF (77005, Private). The transfers are explained by his succumbing to trench foot (and later recurrence) on the Somme in 1916. George is my granddad.

Hope these are welcome.

Ken

Edited by Ken Wayman
To add a final name

3 hours ago, johnboy said:

Medal Index Card should be free on Ancestry. Click on military ww1 and the section should be on the right hand side.

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

Hi Andy

His Medal Card is here and downloadable for £3.45 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6558619

Best wishes

seaJane

Have the Medal Card. Can read most of it. But handwriting was clearly not a strongpoint of the person writing it!

2 hours ago, Kath said:

Is this him?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1105431?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/51578

Corps Regiment No Rank

Kath.

Thats the one. Just waiting to get more details from TNA. 

2 hours ago, Kath said:

Is this him?

Corps Regiment No Rank

Kath.

Where is the address from? Might help me get a DOB for him.

Hi All

Ancestry MIC has him listed under JOHN Aloysius Callaghan  (OBE) , clearly should be Joseph as per the MIC, 351 RAMC, 3rd South Lancs and 6th Sth. Captain. Lancs (transcribed as 6H 5th Lancs Regt) Address is DEANE Bolton, not Dearne.

Regards Barry

Brit/Vic, Joseph Aloysius Callaghan , medal award roll,  Pte.351 RAMC Commissioned.

15 Star Ancestry has him as J R Callaghan, roll shows J A Pte 351 RAMC Disembarked theatre 3, 27.9.14. Commissioned.

Born 1895, Bolton Lancs one of 7 children, died 31.10.1980, Bolton, address 22 Glenmore Ave., Farnworth, Bolton, Lancs.

Edited by The Inspector

1 hour ago, The Inspector said:

Hi All

Ancestry MIC has him listed under JOHN Aloysius Callaghan  (OBE) , clearly should be Joseph as per the MIC, 351 RAMC, 3rd South Lancs and 6th Sth. Captain. Lancs (transcribed as 6H 5th Lancs Regt) Address is DEANE Bolton, not Dearne.

Regards Barry

Brit/Vic, Joseph Aloysius Callaghan , medal award roll,  Pte.351 RAMC Commissioned.

15 Star Ancestry has him as J R Callaghan, roll shows J A Pte 351 RAMC Disembarked theatre 3, 27.9.14. Commissioned.

Born 1895, Bolton Lancs one of 7 children, died 31.10.1980, Bolton, address 22 Glenmore Ave., Farnworth, Bolton, Lancs.

Thats the same person!

thank you so much. Made my day! :)

1 hour ago, The Inspector said:

Hi All

Regards Barry

Can I just ask how you have got the end information (DOB, death, siblings and adddress) from the medal card?

sorry. New to all this.

Andy, Ancestry show the reverse of the MICard & the address is there.

14 hours ago, AndyC1085 said:

Where is the address from? Might help me get a DOB for him.

Kath.

Yes, it's DEANE - (sorry).

Edited by Kath
address

19 hours ago, Ken Wayman said:

Hi BJanman

A few more names to add, those I've come across in researching a couple of books:

Ken

Hi Ken

Thank you very much for these.

All safely backed up now on my system.  I'm just working my way through a couple of lists of regular officers and men who went over at the start of the war, then I will add them.

Kind regards

Barbara 

5 hours ago, Kath said:

Andy, Ancestry show the reverse of the MICard & the address is there.

Kath.

Yes, it's DEANE - (sorry).

Many thanks :)