Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

I believe it has been mentioned before. Always worth reminding people though!

I have just come across this thread thanks to recent posts and am thoroughly enjoying Barbara Janman's excellent RAMC website: http://www.ramc-ww1.com/index.html.

In case it is of value, while doing my own (much more modest) research about those who served in an RFA brigade, I have come across 3men who served in the RAMC who don't appear yet to be added to the personnel profiles on that website:

Gunner John Barber of A/58 Bde RFA (service number 91942) had originally served in the RAMC with service number was killed in action 26 August 1917 and is buried in New Irish Cemetery.  He served initially as a private in the RAMC with service number 10543.  He was the son of Joe Allatt Barber and Margaret Alice Barber, of 13, Heywood, Great Harwood, Blackburn.

John Ellison, who survived the war and died in 1939 aged 54.  Son of Rev William Ellison of Cambridge.  Brother of Capt William Julius Ellison, Maj Arthur David Ellison and Maj Harold Summerhayes Ellison (all RFA).  All three artillery officer brothers survived the war only to die shortly afterwards: William mountaineering in Switzerland on 28 Sep 31, Arthur in Bangkok in 1924 aged 30, and Harold in Sumatra in 1924 aged 28.

2/Lt Edmund Killeen, A/58 Bde RFA, who was commissioned on 9 Feb 1918.  He had started as a private in the RAMC with service number 1873 and was awarded 14-15 Star due to entry into France with the RAMC on 7 Jan 15. 

Regards,

David

I have not yet read all of this thread as I have not come across it before, but am very happy to have found it. I have a great uncle (Thomas Symington Macaulay) who was a physician with the RAMC in Salonica. Have just tried to find the War Diaries of the RAMC in Salonica on "Ancestry" to try to glean some information about him but since I have no idea which Division he worked with am at a loss. In fact, in browsing the Diaries for Gallipoli and the Dardanelles, can't find anything for Salonika.  From his MIC it looks like he didn't go there until August 1918 so goodness knows where he was before that. He was a physician in Malaya before the war.

Thanks to whomever posted the link.

Hazel

20 hours ago, David26 said:

I have just come across this thread thanks to recent posts and am thoroughly enjoying Barbara Janman's excellent RAMC website: http://www.ramc-ww1.com/index.html.

Regards,

David

Ah, thank you - it makes it all worthwhile when you know it is helping.

I have back up your men along with those Ken posted in an earlier thread.  I am coming to a good break off point in my own research soon so should be able to add them soon.  If I have any further info on any of them then I will let you know.

Many thanks

Barbara

20 hours ago, hazelclark said:

Have just tried to find the War Diaries of the RAMC in Salonica on "Ancestry" to try to glean some information about him

Hazel, the Salonica diaries are in a different subseries, not with the Gallipoli material, they haven't been digitised.

1 minute ago, David_Underdown said:

Hazel, the Salonica diaries are in a different subseries, not with the Gallipoli material, they haven't been digitised.

I see.  Thanks David.

Hazel C.

7 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

David

Do you know if there are many General Hospital war diaries amongst them?  My dad did a lot of work in trying to place where the medical units went/were stationed, and although he has many listed as being in Salonika, he has marked some with a question mark - mainly next to war diary reference numbers.  I don't know if he wasn't sure if the unit was in Salonika or if he just couldn't trace the war diary.

I just checked to see if any units arrived in Salonika in August 1918 but couldn't trace any.

Barbara

I'm struggling to find anything out about Joseph Aloysius Callaghan during his time in the RAMC as a Private.

Once he gets his commission, and transfers to South Lancashire Regiment, it's fine.

But nothing about him until late 1915.

Any idea on good places to start researching?

Feel like I've read everything! Haha.

44 minutes ago, AndyC1085 said:

I'm struggling to find anything out about Joseph Aloysius Callaghan during his time in the RAMC as a Private.

Hi 

According to Manchester Regiment’s post you highlighted in 507, Joseph served with the 1st ELFA, which is 1st East Lancashire Field Ambulance.  It is likely he served with the 1/1st East Lancashire Field Ambulance because they went to Galipolli.  I would check out their war diary, and the war diary of the A.D.M.S. for the 42nd Division to see if he gets a mention.  According to Manchester Regiment’s post, Joseph was wounded in June 1915, so even if he doesn’t get a mention by name, the war diary should make reference to so many being wounded around that time. (Check out the list for other names wounded around the same time).  The 1/1st, 1/2nd and 1/3rd Field Ambulances were all serving with the 42nd Division - at least one of the diaries is likely to mention the event, I would hope - if not the ADMS war diary... hopefully.

Good luck

Barbara

That would be lovely, thank you Barbara.

And while doing some research at TNA I came across a number of interesting drawings of how 35th Field Ambulance's Field Hospital, Ward and Advanced Dressing Station were laid out at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli.  I photographed them so let me know if you'd like a copy and I could try PM'ing them to you. 

David.

Hi Andy

The other info. is by cross referencing on Ancestry, Censuses, probate, BMD's 

Regards Barry

Found this entry in a diary written by Private A Horrocks of 1st ELFA in 1915.

default.jpg

Under the title "Sent Away" is the name "Joe Callaghan".

Any ideas what Sent Away means?

Due to injury?

14 hours ago, David26 said:

And while doing some research at TNA I came across a number of interesting drawings of how 35th Field Ambulance's Field Hospital, Ward and Advanced Dressing Station were laid out at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli.  I photographed them so let me know if you'd like a copy and I could try PM'ing them to you. 

David.

I would love to see them.  Thank you for your kind offer.

Barbara

8 hours ago, BJanman said:

I would love to see them.  Thank you for your kind offer.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I'm struggling with the technology (not a new thing for me!) since it doesn't appear I can attach images to a PM.  (And since these are photos I've taken of TNA documents would I be right to assume that for copyright reasons I shouldn't just post them here?)

If you would like to PM me an email address, I could happily send them to you?

David. 

There are two threads on Copyright running at the moment. From what I gather pics can be posted here as long as they are accredited to TNA. Only my interpretation!!

Thanks johnboy. 

It would be great if we can.  Though I was reading the TNA copyright pages a few days ago which seemed pretty strict so until I next get a chance to visit and ask I think I'll tend to err on the side of caution.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 17:21, BJanman said:

David

Do you know if there are many General Hospital war diaries amongst them?

There are several listed in this piece WO 95/4933 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4558086 (look at the right hand side of the screen) and in WO 95/4934 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4558087, however, you'll note that the name of the subseries is wider than Salonika "PART V: SALONIKA, MACEDONIA, TURKEY BLACK SEA, CAUCASUS AND SOUTH RUSSIA" (given in the top part of the page) which may be the cause of the uncertainty.

20 hours ago, johnboy said:

There are two threads on Copyright running at the moment. From what I gather pics can be posted here as long as they are accredited to TNA. Only my interpretation!!

My bad :)

Although the diary image was NOT from The National Archive.

Edited by AndyC1085

21 hours ago, David26 said:

Hi Barbara,

I'm struggling with the technology (not a new thing for me!) since it doesn't appear I can attach images to a PM.  (And since these are photos I've taken of TNA documents would I be right to assume that for copyright reasons I shouldn't just post them here?)

If you would like to PM me an email address, I could happily send them to you?

David. 

Andy

The reply was aimed at another poster.David 26.

On 20 February 2016 at 23:23, stevebecker said:

Mate,

This may be hard to confirm but I have a number of British Doctors attached to AIF units in Palestine.

Some I found by their MIC but I am still not sure on all, can they be confirmed?

DeBOAR Henry Speldewinde Dr Capt British Army RAMC RMO 1Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers (G) to RMO HQ/1Bn ICC 12-16 to ACFA to 5 LHFA 7-18 later Director of Medical Service Uganda CMG MC MRCS

Cheers

S.B

Steve

I have found a bit more info on Henry Speldewinde DeBoer.  He received his medical education at the London Hospital, and a letter to their gazette states that on 10th October 1918 he was attached to the 69th General Hospital, E.E.F.  Apparently he had been there about 4 months.

Regards

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...
On 18 April 2017 at 19:21, Magnumbellum said:

Have you Walter Ernest Spradbery, who apparently moved on from the RAMC in 1917 to become an official war artist?

He is on my Access database.  

I think I must have picked him up when going through the DCM recipients. He appears to have been serving with the 36th Field Ambulance at the time he was awarded the DCM, but I haven't really researched him - I don't know if he served in any other medical units before.  The citation states he was awarded the DCM for his actions near Mametz on 26th August 1918, so it appears he may have still been with RAMC longer than 1917, but I don't really know at the mo....

Barbara