Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

Beary has service papers on FMP.... 

Beary, Matthew. (Limerick). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; South Wales Borderers. Unit; 4th Battalion. Service No-13102.

Age 27, attested Newport , Mon August 26th 1914, Occupation Collier.

Transferred Class 'W'  28/7/1917 (Holdwith Colliery, Chesterton, Staffs).

No sign of him on the 1939 register... 

Beary, Matthew. (Limerick). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; South Wales Borderers. Unit; 4th Battalion. Service No-13102.

Age 27, attested Newport , Mon August 26th 1914, Occupation Collier.

Transferred Class 'W'  28/7/1917 (Holdwith Colliery, Chesterton, Staffs).

DCM 21/22 August 1915 Gallipoli

DCM 2/2/1916

Married 16/3/1918, Newcastle under Lyme to Henrietta Griffin (widow)

Discharged 14/12/1918  'Serial Number AZ 6924'

Address 4/5/1920      17 North Pavement?  Barnsley, Yorks.     No disability.

Year of Birth 1887

ca 1915/16  Next of Kin   - Sister, Mrs ?M Griffin?  Barna, Palace Gr......, Co. Limerick, & William Berry(sic), 6938  2nd Coy, 3rd Irish Guards, Warley Barracks, Br........

(letter returned 'Not Known' from sister's address).

And 3 offences!

This from FreeBMD

Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Sep 1930   (>99%)
Beary  Matthew  45  Willesden  3a 241  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hilliard, Arthur. (Dublin). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 8th Battalion. Service No-19757. Date of death; 16/05/1919. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died. Supplementary information;- This casualty is one of the ‘unfindables’ from the Irish Independent for the period 1914-1920. He has been added to the ‘In From the Cold Project’ run under the auspices of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. If more concrete information can be found on him he will be added to their main database. At this time he cannot be verified. Newspapers/Books etc; Irish Independent; Hilliard (Dublin)-April 16, 1919, at Hardwicke Hospital (of pneumonia), Private Arthur Hilliard, 8th R. D. F. , third son of the late Arthur and Bridget Hilliard; deeply regretted. Funeral from St Catherines,

Meath Street

, on to-day (Saturday) at 10. 30 a. m. R. I. P. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. – Unknown.

For what it adds - Effects records show his sister is Kate Balfe and brother John.

His sister Kate (Catherine) married Thomas Balfe on 02 June 1901. It looks like it says 5 Forbes Lane for the place of residence for her before she married.

Here's Arthur on the 1911 census living with his sister - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Usher_s_Quay/Marrowbone_Lane/71651/

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hurley 'sapper Royal Engineers' on Probate resident Newport Mon. 

1629 was the 3rd Leinster Regiment militia service number issued on 22nd August 1898, to Joseph Burke, aged 17, of Rynagh, Banagher, King's County.

Could be this man?

First name(s)  JOSEPH

Last name  BURKE

Service number  3349

Rank  PRIVATE

Regiment  Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)

Battalion  2nd Battalion.

Birth place  BANAGHER, KING'S CO.

Residence-

Enlistment place  BIRR, KING'S CO.

Death year  1917

Death day  10

Death month  6

Edited by IPT

B 1878

Kay, Arthur Bagnall. (Kilkenny). Rank- Sergeant. Regiment or service; Royal Irish Regiment. Date of death; . Age; 52. Born, . Residence, . Death- Killed in action . Supplementary information;- The only reference I can find to this man is contained in the following article from the Kilkenny People, December 1914. Military Funeral in Kilkenny. Sergeant A Kay, of the Royal Irish Regiment, who died on Monday night, aged 52 years, was buried in St John’s Protestant cemetery on Thursday with military honours, the coffin being covered with the Union Jack, and 150 men of the 75th Brigade, R. F. A. , ta present occupying the Kilkenny barracks, marching after the bier under Captain Mackesy, formerly of the 5th Munster Fusiliers and now attached to the Royal Irish Regiment. Sergeant Kay had 26 years service, and fought in the Egyptian and South African Wars, his distinctions including the Egyptian Medal, ’84-’85, Khedive Medal, and the South African Medal with three clasps. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

No obvious sign in the effects records.

Craig

Cook, Charles. (Kilkenny). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Northumberland Fusiliers. Unit; 25th Battalion. Service No- 847. Date of death; 22/02/1919. Age; 31. Born, Dunnamaggin, CountyKilkenny. Residence, Kilmoganny, CountyKilkenny. Death- Died after discharge. Supplementary information;- . Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- Died after discharge at the RoyalHospital, Chelsea. Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Nothing obvious in the effects records.

Craig

Cleary, James. (King's County/Offaly). Rank- Unknown. Regiment or service; Black Watch. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;-  This man is listed in the Clara Roll of Honour published in the Westmeath Independent, January, 1915. There is no listing of a James Cleary killed in any of the War Dead Databases in 1915 with the Black Watch. According to the Medal Index Cards there is one single instance of a James Cleary killed in action during the Great War, he was Private James Cleary, 8th Battalion Royal Scots, killed in action on 19-Setpember-1918 and he was born in Glasgow. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Effects records show 4 James Clearys killed in WW1 - no Black Watch. No men would fit the Jan 15 newspaper date.

Craig

On the 1911 census, John Hurley, a wireman, born Cork (says aged 31), wife Beatrice, children Florence and Kathleen, living at 21 East Street, Newport.

SWB

First name(s)  John

Last name  Hurley

Service number  768

Rank  Sergeant

Badge number  65764

Enlistment date  15-Apr-1915

Discharge date  28-Jul-1916

Regiment/unit  Welsh Low. Sig. Co. R.E.

Cause of discharge  Para 392 (xvi) King's Regulation Sickness

Badge date of issue  14-Feb-1917

hurley_j.jpg

4 hours ago, museumtom said:

Kendrick, James. (Limerick). Rank- AB. Regiment or service; Unknown. Date of death; 16/03/1917. Age; 30. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- Address listed as

25 Windmill Street

, Limerick. Listed on the Register of Deceased Seamen 1914-1918 as Drowned-St Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver. or Memorial Reference: Unknown, this man is not in any other database available to me. I contacted the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. They replied-‘This man looks like a Mercantile Marine man. As such he does not qualify for CWGC commemoration unless he died through war causes aboard ship at sea. The fact that his ship is unknown suggests that this was not the case. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Deaths at sea gives James Kendricks' ship as Waikawa and that he died from pneumonia. 

Kendrick.jpg

Wow, I am snowed under entirely, please be patient while I add the details posted, this will take a bit of time. Damn, you guys are good, thank you very much indeed!

Kind regards.

Tom.

IPT.

'

1629 was the 3rd Leinster Regiment militia service number issued on 22nd August 1898, to Joseph Burke, aged 17, of Rynagh, Banagher, King's County.

'

This could be him except it gives his death year as 1917?

Thanks for all the help pals, it is very much appreciated.

This one is also a total mystery. Sorry about the quality of the image.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Newson.jpg

2 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks for all the help pals, it is very much appreciated.

This one is also a total mystery. Sorry about the quality of the image.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Newson.jpg

Nearest match I can see this is this man on the effects records
Capture.JPG

However when you look at the actual record...

Capture.JPG

Effects were paid to his widow Kate.

Craig

You are an absolute genius! What chance has a guy got.

Brilliant bit of detective work Craig. Thank you kindly.

Kind regards.

Tom.

5183818640392192.png?k=0pqj8CY8xqk7nSJB-1RKNZPN9D0

My Goodness Simon, you could be on to something there, the Kimmage Garrison? I need to d a bit more digging.  Thank you very much also for the Hilliard MIC!.

Kind regards.

Tom.

It seems the Kimmage Garrison was a rebel garrison.

53 minutes ago, museumtom said:

My Goodness Simon, you could be on to something there, the Kimmage Garrison? I need to d a bit more digging.  Thank you very much also for the Hilliard MIC!.

Kind regards.

Tom.

It seems the Kimmage Garrison was a rebel garrison.

I'd be amazed if that's not the man that SImon has found.

Why he was confused as a Lancer I don't know - perhaps he was wearing a military uniform at the time and as he was found amongst the lancers and that is where the confusion set in. Nicely explains why the army have no record of a soldier of that name dying.

Craig

Courtesy of Sandra Gittins via Twitter! 

Smiling as i read this, well done lads, it may just me the answer!!

Kind regards.

Tom.