Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

May I once again please ask for a POW lookup. This is a bit of a mystery, this soldier is supposed to have died on the 26th April, 1915 but may have been a prisoner instead, 11321, James McCluskey, RDF. If there is a POW card for him that would be very interesting indeed.

Can you help please.

Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

This is strange, another who falls into this category is Patrick Aspell/Aspill, 7415, RDF. They are on the Menin Gate but a photo after that time shows them as POWs.

11 minutes ago, museumtom said:

May I once again please ask for a POW lookup. This is a bit of a mystery, this soldier is supposed to have died on the 26th April, 1915 but may have been a prisoner instead, 11321, James McCluskey, RDF. If there is a POW card for him that would be very interesting indeed.

Can you help please.

Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

He's shown on the effects records, Tom, as death presumed on or since 26 April 2015. Effects paid to Miss Margaret O'Leary. It looks like the army were certain he was dead as believed.

Craig

Another of these dead men is 7924, Thomas Malone, RIRif.

Thanks Craig, if he or any of these three men have POW cards then we aourselves a mystery.

Kind regards.

Tom

12 minutes ago, museumtom said:

This is strange, another who falls into this category is Patrick Aspell/Aspill, 7415, RDF. They are on the Menin Gate but a photo after that time shows them as POWs.

He's shown on the effects records as death presumed on or since 26 April 15. Effects paid to his wife, Bridget. I can't see am obvious red cross card for him.

Another of these dead men is 7924, Thomas Malone, RIRif.

He's shown on the effects records as death presumed on or since 15 Sep 14. Effects paid to his mother, Mary and father, Mark. Enquiry card for Malone - http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4231864/3/2/

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you kindly Craig, I am working my way through your link, danged if I can see Malone though.

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated

Kind regards.

Tom.

Do you see a Malone?I only get Maloneys etc

Hang on, I am getting there..

Yes I got Malone, so he was a POW, in March 1915 anyway. There is a mystery here lads. 

Thank you kindly Craig, without your help I would be lost!

Kind regards.

Tom.

It really looks like these men were abandoned.

17 minutes ago, museumtom said:

It really looks like these men were abandoned.

There does seem to be a lack of records on them - what was it that made you suspect they may have been POW's

Craig

There is a photograph in the Herald and they wanted readers if they recognised anyone in them, The photograph was long after these men were supposed to be killed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to apologise for annoying ye one more time on this chilly afternoon, but May I please ask you for the first names of this officer?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1417187/CHALMERS, W H

I cannot nail him down at all, can you help me please?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

OK Guys, I got it, William Hamish Chalmers.

Thanks for trying just the same.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Morning all. I hope you can help with this lad, it possible he is not findable though. I have put him forward to the In From The Cold Project, but we cannot find any information on him anywhere. Can you help please?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Dowd.jpg

Interesting. Of the men shot in Sackville Street, and taken to Jervis Street Hospital, the likeliest seems to be James David Arthur Headland, 5th Lancers. I think he would have been 20.

Just a thought.

Thanks IPT, I have the Death Cert for Headland so we can discount him. I did say he he going to be a difficult one!

Thanks for trying.

Kind regards.

Tom.

13 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks IPT, I have the Death Cert for Headland so we can discount him. I did say he he going to be a difficult one!

Thanks for trying.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I must admit my knowledge of the events is limited but I assume we already have the details of the men known to have been shot in Sackville Street ? This presumably would be an extra man ?

Craig

He seems to be an extra man, unknown in any of the databases,, most of the British casualties of the Rebellion are buried in Dublin, although a few were brought home to England for burial.

Edited by museumtom

Nice one IPT! Its a mystery wrapped up in an enigma, now where have i heard that before?

Thanks for staying with this IPT.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I tried to see if he used an alias, or if he was one of the three lancers, but no, they all have separate death certs, so   I just wondered, as most of the lancers who died that day were buried in Grangegorman Military Cemetery, and there are two unknown burials in there is it possible that he is buried in one of them?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Had a good check on the SDGW and Medals CDROM - no joy - looked for DOWDS and O'DOWD - blank. Nothing in the Easter Rising Handbook...