Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

Thanks for trying Simon, much appreciated.

This is a good read and goes into considerable detail on the Rising - no sign of any Dowd - name or unit must be an error.... How frustrating! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Irish-Lancers-Three-1916-ebook/dp/B00N936QGC/ref=pd_sim_351_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZHMYKS5MPKPK33HBDT9K

Edited by Simon_Fielding

Hi Tom

His Mic shows an address of 4 Burlington Square, Goole. "Sec of Brit Legion applies for 14 Star on behalf of dec'd soldier's father. 10.3.24."

Regards Barry

OOPS!!! Sorry Tom I was looking at Page 2 Albert Edmond Clarke 1405, Kings Horse. So if you got this answer ..apologies.

Edited by The Inspector

Thank you kindly Inspector, in fact I did not have that little nugget of info.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Can't see a record of death for 9947 Pte James Duffy 3/RIR - 

1 hour ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Can't see a record of death for 9947 Pte James Duffy 3/RIR - 

He's show in the effects records but I haven't checked anywhere else for him - death location shown as Dublin (Sinn Fein rebellion).

War Gratuity shown as 'Not admissible' which would usually indicate he had less than 6 months home service at time of death.

EDIT:
#9945 attested 31 Dec 15 so the gratuity ties in.

No relatives were able to be contacted as his monies were put on the unclaimed effects list but they had sent a W5070 out so they had an address on record somewhere.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Clutching at straws that James Duffy / Dowd have become conflated... 

Duffy is buried in the grounds of Dr Steevens Hospital, in a collective grave with three other soldiers killed that day, 7022 Oscar Bentley 5th Lancers, 9852 Michael Carr, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regt and 11162 Thomas Treacy, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regt.

Can we assume they were not taken to Jervis Street?

Thanks lads.

Dowd was shot through the heart and Duffy was shot in the head.

Dowd was brought to Jervis Street Hospital and Duffy was brought to Steevens Hospital.

Edited by museumtom

11 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks lads.

Dowd was shot through the heart and Duffy was shot in the head.

Dowd was brought to Jervis Street Hospital and Duffy was brought to Steevens Hospital.

Rules him out then.

Craig

17 minutes ago, museumtom said:

It was worth a try though!

Certainly was - if you don't try you'll never know.

You're coming up with some crackers recently though.

Craig

Thanks Craig, I dont mess about. Lol.

The lads I ask for your help for here are totally impossible to nail down without the experience and lateral thinking of the pals on this forum. There will always be an angle you never considered that will establish an identity. It not just that the pals here have access to other databases, some not even on the net, but its their willingness to help when they could be watching telly or just passing the post by. 

Don't ever think I take ye for granted. It is a privilege to work with ye, even though it yourselves do most of the work.

Thank you all most kindly again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

10 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig, I dont mess about. Lol.

The lads I ask for your help for here are totally impossible to nail down without the experience and lateral thinking of the pals on this forum. There will always be an angle you never considered that will establish an identity. It not just that the pals here have access to other databases, some not even on the net, but its their willingness to help when they could be watching telly or just passing the post by. 

Don't ever think I take ye for granted. It is a privilege to work with ye, even though it yourselves do most of the work.

Thank you all most kindly again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

We enjoy the challenge Tom - the more the merrier.

Craig

Hear hear 

Indeed Tom.

Now that you are getting to the bottom of your "Easy" pile, why not throw us one out of your "Tough", or "Extremely Hard" pile.

(The "Diabolicals" can wait for a bit though!)   :thumbsup:

The hard ones eh, the HARD ones eh!!! You cant take the hard ones!!

OK guys I will go through the unknowns, the hardest bardest one you can imagine and see if ye can got any clues, cos I cannot.

Ready?

3 minutes ago, museumtom said:

The hard ones eh, the HARD ones eh!!! You cant take the hard ones!!

OK guys I will go through the unknowns, the hardest bardest one you can imagine and see if ye can got any clues, cos I cannot.

Ready?

Fire away Tom !

Craig

OK so this will take a bit of time as I have to change from Excel to Word.

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

OK so this will take a bit of time as I have to change from Excel to Word.

Technology, eh.

Craig

Here are a few that cause me grief. If you can help, especially in where they are buried I would be most grateful.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hilliard, Arthur. (Dublin). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 8th Battalion. Service No-19757. Date of death; 16/05/1919. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died. Supplementary information;- This casualty is one of the ‘unfindables’ from the Irish Independent for the period 1914-1920. He has been added to the ‘In From the Cold Project’ run under the auspices of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. If more concrete information can be found on him he will be added to their main database. At this time he cannot be verified. Newspapers/Books etc; Irish Independent; Hilliard (Dublin)-April 16, 1919, at Hardwicke Hospital (of pneumonia), Private Arthur Hilliard, 8th R. D. F. , third son of the late Arthur and Bridget Hilliard; deeply regretted. Funeral from St Catherines,

Meath Street
, on to-day (Saturday) at 10. 30 a. m. R. I. P. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. – Unknown.

Kay, Arthur Bagnall. (Kilkenny). Rank- Sergeant. Regiment or service; Royal Irish Regiment. Date of death; . Age; 52. Born, . Residence, . Death- Killed in action . Supplementary information;- The only reference I can find to this man is contained in the following article from the Kilkenny People, December 1914. Military Funeral in Kilkenny. Sergeant A Kay, of the Royal Irish Regiment, who died on Monday night, aged 52 years, was buried in St John’s Protestant cemetery on Thursday with military honours, the coffin being covered with the Union Jack, and 150 men of the 75th Brigade, R. F. A. , ta present occupying the Kilkenny barracks, marching after the bier under Captain Mackesy, formerly of the 5th Munster Fusiliers and now attached to the Royal Irish Regiment. Sergeant Kay had 26 years service, and fought in the Egyptian and South African Wars, his distinctions including the Egyptian Medal, ’84-’85, Khedive Medal, and the South African Medal with three clasps. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Cook, Charles. (Kilkenny). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Northumberland Fusiliers. Unit; 25th Battalion. Service No- 847. Date of death; 22/02/1919. Age; 31. Born, Dunnamaggin, CountyKilkenny. Residence, Kilmoganny, CountyKilkenny. Death- Died after discharge. Supplementary information;- . Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- Died after discharge at the RoyalHospital, Chelsea. Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Cronin, Charles. (Cork). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Royal Army Service Corps. Service No- 382023. Date of death; 24/01/1920. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died after discharge. Supplementary information;- Husband of Hannah Cronin,

11 Lukes Avenue
, Off Summer Hill, Cork. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Hope, Frank . (Clare). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Royal Army Medical Corps. Service No-54355. Date of death; 28/11/1918. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died at home. Supplementary information;- His personal effects and property were sent to Miss E Hope, Abbeyview, Killaloe, County Clare, Ireland. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Cleary, James. (King's County/Offaly). Rank- Unknown. Regiment or service; Black Watch. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;-  This man is listed in the Clara Roll of Honour published in the Westmeath Independent, January, 1915. There is no listing of a James Cleary killed in any of the War Dead Databases in 1915 with the Black Watch. According to the Medal Index Cards there is one single instance of a James Cleary killed in action during the Great War, he was Private James Cleary, 8th Battalion Royal Scots, killed in action on 19-Setpember-1918 and he was born in Glasgow. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Clougher, James. (Roscommon). Rank- Driver. Regiment or service; Royal Engineers. Date of death; Jun-19. Age; 35. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died after discharge. Supplementary information;- Although this man died after discharge, not from the effects of war, I include him for your reference. Newspapers/Books etc; Westmeath Independent;Cut to Pieces. Ex-Soldier’s Sad End. Yesterday (Friday) morning some miles-men found the mangled remains of a man on the Galway line, near Monksland. After some time these were identified as a man named Clougher, aged about 35 years, an ex soldier, from Clonark district. How he came to be on the line so far remains a mystery, but it is thought he was run over by a goods train some time during the night. The Coroner (Mr Burke), Roscommon, has been communicated with and an inquest will be held. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Kendrick, James. (Limerick). Rank- AB. Regiment or service; Unknown. Date of death; 16/03/1917. Age; 30. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- Address listed as

25 Windmill Street
, Limerick. Listed on the Register of Deceased Seamen 1914-1918 as Drowned-St Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver. or Memorial Reference: Unknown, this man is not in any other database available to me. I contacted the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. They replied-‘This man looks like a Mercantile Marine man. As such he does not qualify for CWGC commemoration unless he died through war causes aboard ship at sea. The fact that his ship is unknown suggests that this was not the case. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Hurley, John. (Cork). Rank- . Date of death; 26/11/1917. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died of wounds. Supplementary information;- Son of the late Daniel Hurley,

308 Blarney Street
. Newspapers/Books etc; The only information on this soldier is in the Cork Weekly Examiner, 29/12/1917;- Hurley, John. -On November 26th, at Newport, Mon. , of wounds received in action, John, son of the late Daniel Hurley, 308 Blarney Street, Cork, R. I. P. -(Inserted by his brother Jim). . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Lawless, John. (Wicklow). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Date of death; Unknown 1918. Born, Ballymurrin, CountyWicklow. Residence, . Death- Died of wounds. Supplementary information;- No further information is available on these two men John and Thomas Lawless. They are not in Soldiers Died in the Great War nor are they in the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission Database. The information is from Irelands Memorial Records held in WW1 Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge in Dublin. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- Died of wounds in Ballymurrin, CountyWicklow. Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

O'Regan, John. (Limerick). Rank- Sergeant. Regiment or service; Unknown. Date of death; Unknown. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- Not a single instance of a Sergeant J O’Regan exists in any of the War Dead Databases nor is there a Medal Index card for a Sergeant J O’Regan. As he is reported as a Limerick casualty in the newspaper article I include him for your reference. Limerick Leader, November, 1915. Killed in Action. We regret to chronicle the death, which took place at the front during the recent advance of Sergeant John O’Regan. Prior to the war Mr O’Regan held an important position in London, and volunteered for active service. He was son of Mr Patrick O’Regan, merchant,

Broad Street
, Limerick, and had been well known and was very popular in Clare, where he spent a long number of years. He was a near relation of Mr James O’Regan, Sixmilebridge, CountyClare. Newspapers/Books etc; Limerick Chronicle, November, 1915. Sergeant John O’Regan. The death is reported of Sergeant John O’Regan who fell in action during the recent advance at the front. Prior to the war Mr O’Regan held an important position in London, and volunteered for active service. He was son of Mr Patrick O’Regan, merchant,
Broad Street
, Limerick, and well-known and very popular in Clare, where he spent a long number of years. He was a near relative of Mr James O’Regan, SixmileBridge, CountyClare. Freeman’s Journal, 15/11/1915. Limerick Sergeant Killed. Widespread regret is felt in Limerick and Clare at the news that Sergeant John O’Regan, Sixmilebridge, CountyClare, had been killed in action. He was very popular in the district. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Burke, Joseph. (King's County/Offaly). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Leinster Regiment. Service No- 1629. Date of death; 14/09/1914. Age; 29. Born, King's County. Residence, . Death- Killed in action in France. Supplementary information;- This man is a bit of a mystery. He only appears in Irelands Memorial Records. He is not listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War nor is he listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A quick check with the National Archives in Kew shows that there is no Medal Index Card for No 1629 Joseph Burke. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Beary, Matthew. (Limerick). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; South Wales Borderers. Unit; 4th Battalion. Service No-13102. Date of death; Unknown. Born, Barna, Pallas Green, CountyLimerick. Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- The only reference to this casualty is in the following article in the Limerick Leader, and Limerick Chronicle, August, 1915. Limerick Soldier Receives the D. C. M. For Conspicuous Bravery. Corporal Daniel Beary, of Derk, CountyLimerick, of the 1st Liverpool Regiment, has received the D. C. M. , for conspicuous bravery in the field where he received promotion. He has written to his brother at Derk announcing the honour that has been conferred on him, and stating that he has just recovered from gas poisoning, and is leaving again for the front. Of the three brothers who went to the front, Daniel is the sole survivor, Matthew and Pat having been killed. As he is reported as a Limerick casualty in this newspaper article I include him for your reference. Matthew Beary won the DCM in 1916 and was listed in the London Gazette, in April-1916. Listed again in the Gazette on page 1200 in February, 1916 when he was mentioned in despatches. He was discharged after the war in December-1918. He married a widow named Henrietta Griffin in Newcastle under Lyne in March-1918 and they lived in Woolstanton, Staffordfshire. Before the war he listed his next of kin as ;-( sister) Mrs M Griffin, Barna, Pallas Gteen, Limerick. The family name Beary was sometimes spelled Berry. Another brother, William Beary, Private, No, 6938, Irish Guards, stationed at Warley Barracks. He also survived the war. Newspapers/Books etc; See Daniel Berry. Cork Examiner. 26/08/1915. 1189. Brave County Limerick Man. Received The D. C. M. Corporal Daniel Beary, of Derk, CountyLimerick, of the 1st Liverpool Regiment, has received the D. C. M. , for conspicuous bravery in the field, where he received promotion. He has written to his brother at Derk announcing the honour conferred on him, and stating that he has just recovered from gas poisoning and is leaving again for the front. Of three brother who went to the war, Daniel is the sole survivor, Matthew and Pat having been killed. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.