Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

Brilliant, Bob, that nails it, to be sure.

Fantastic job.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Sorry for this guys and gals, but this fella is frying my brain, not a chance in this wide earthly world can I find him. Can you help please. He was from Dublin, and in the RNR, I cannot find anything on FMP for his naval service. If I can show that he was still serving I can put him forward to IFCP.

Can you help please? He is Stoker Christopher Roche, R.N.R.

Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Roche.PNG

28 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Sorry for this guys and gals, but this fella is frying my brain, not a chance in this wide earthly world can I find him. Can you help please. He was from Dublin, and in the RNR, I cannot find anything on FMP for his naval service. If I can show that he was still serving I can put him forward to IFCP.

Can you help please? He is Stoker Christopher Roche, R.N.R.

Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Roche.PNG

He has a record with the N/A - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8578365

Ancestry has the transcription which only points to the image at the N/A.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Excellent Craig!! you are on the ball, thank you very much indeed.

Kindest regards. Tom.

3 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Excellent Craig!! you are on the ball, thank you very much indeed.

Kindest regards. Tom.

No problem Tom. Medal rolls shows medals were sent to his mother. The notes to the roll make reference (apparently) to a will being held by the navy at the time (which would suggest to me he was serving but...)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Interesting stuff Craig, thanks again for that, it would make one wonder why he is not in the CWGC just the same.

You are, as you have always been, a most helpful gentleman.

Kindest regards. 

Tom.

One more plea if I may please guys and gals.

There is a photo in a newspaper dated February 1919. It says Owen Sheridan, a fireman, was drowned at sea aboard the SS Ribbleton. On the net it says Ribbleton disappeared after leaving Kilkeel for Cardiff on 08/01/1919, and then just disappeared. It has never been found, nor is there any information on what happened.

I cannot find his card on FMP, nor his birth location or address. He looks about 30 or 40. I looked for his probate but the only Owen Sheridan is in the image attached. I am not even sure if it is him.

Is there any crew list for the Ribbleton? Can you find anything on this man at all, because I am danged if I can. The newspaper article says his family resided in Dublin.

Sorry about this lads and lassies, If I could handle this alone I would, but this man has be beat completely, he is not in the CWGC either.

Thanl you most sincerely for any help you can add.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Sheridan.PNG

OK Guys and Gals, I have it sorted. These Mecantile Marine lads can be tricky.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

OK Guys and Gals, I have it sorted. These Mecantile Marine lads can be tricky.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Did you manage to track down what actually happened to him ?

Craig

Not what happened to him, but I did find his family, and his two wives too! He was born in Monaghan but lived most of his life in Belfast, his first wife died and then he married another who had the same address as him (oh yeah?). He had a son born around 1900 but if he was in the war he survived.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...

I am finally getting around to sorting all the stuff and preparing for publication. I would appreciate it very much, if, all the pals who have posted on this topic and helped me would pm me their name and if they like their county, or country. I will ensure each and everyone of those who pm me will be listed in the acknowledgements. It is a tiny token of the great help and support I have received here on the forum, without which many of the IFCP lads, and my own unfindables would have been passed over.

Please let me have your name, even if you only posted once. Every single posting helped to finish this difficult project.

You are undeniably the best in the world and I thank you all again, lads and lassies, for your help, support and patience!!

Kindest regards.

Tom.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

I am finally getting around to sorting all the stuff and preparing for publication. I would appreciate it very much, if, all the pals who have posted on this topic and helped me would pm me their name and if they like their county, or country. I will ensure each and everyone of those who pm me will be listed in the acknowledgements. It is a tiny token of the great help and support I have received here on the forum, without which many of the IFCP lads, and my own unfindables would have been passed over.

Please let me have your name, even if you only posted once. Every single posting helped to finish this difficult project.

You are undeniably the best in the world and I thank you all again, lads and lassies, for your help, support and patience!!

Kindest regards.

Tom.

We couldn't have done it with out you Tom  :P

Craig

It's been a pleasure mo chara : Simon Fielding, Gloucestershire, England. 

Excellent, thanks lads. It was not possible without ye. More names please lads and lassies.

I expect to to be in 11 volumes, each volume c700 pages of A4.

Kind regards.

Tom.

3 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Excellent, thanks lads. It was not possible without ye. More names please lads and lassies.

I expect to to be in 11 volumes, each volume c700 pages of A4.

Kind regards.

Tom.

A modest print run Tom !

Craig

Sure I had to use a heap of abbreviations Craig!

Thanks John, it will be in microsoft word, not Excel, sorry.

Kind regards.

Tom

• 10 months later...

Hello again pals.

Here we have an enigma wrapped up in a mystery. This man has my brain fried;-

https://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/467015/

I cannot find him in SDGW, FMP, or even find his MIC.

One possibility is that his age is incorrect and this is in fact him;-

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Kilglass_North/Ballykilcline/789025/

I am at a loss to even find his first name.

If you could point me in any direction I would be very grateful indeed.

Thanking you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom, 

He's William Graham, shown on Soldiers Effects as Sergeant, 1/1 North Midland Division {AVC} A Mob. Vet. Sec. Attchd. 139th Infantry Brigade. Service number 47

Regards,

Alf McM

There is light at the end of the tunnell!!!

https://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/467015/#&gid=null&pid=2

Shows his age as 39 and that he drowned. I think we are on to a winner lads and lassies!

Brilliant Alf! thanks very much indeed!