Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

Westmeath Independent, October, 1916. Late Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Sincere regret was occasioned in Athlone at the intelligence of the death of Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Before receiving his commission in the Kitchener army, Mr Kelly was engaged in legal business in Athlone, and was a prominent member of the Athlone Boat Club, and several other local societies. He was a native of CountyClare. Much sympathy is felt for his young widow and child. Newspapers/Books etc; Westmeath Independent, October, 1916. Late Lieutenant P J Kelly. At the meeting of the Third Order of St Francis on Sunday evening, Very rev. Fr Fidelis asked the prayers of the members for the late Lt P J Kelly, who, up to the time he joined the colours, was a very efficient Secretary of the Branch. Clare Journal and Limerick Chronicle, October 1916. Lieutenant P. J. Kelly, R. F. A. Lieutenant P. J. Kelly, R. F. A. , whose death is reported from Athlone, where he had been in the legal business before getting his commission, was a prominent member of the Athlone Boat Club. He was a Clare man, being, we understand, son of Mr P. Kelly, Caher, Feakle, East Clare. Westmeath Independent, November, 1914. Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Mr P J Kelly, has been granted a Commission in the R. F. A. , and will begin training at Newbridge. Mr Kelly has been in Athlone for some four years, and in that comparatively short period he had made a host of friends. He was vice President of the Athlone Division, A. O. H. , Secretary to the Athlone Boat Club, and Insurance Secretary in the A. O. H. he was a Clerk in the firm of—ily and Fair, solicitors. Mr Kelly was also a prominent member of St Peter’s Pioneer Total Abstinence Association. His departure from Athlone will be sincerely regretted, and he take with him the best wishes of his many friends for success and -----promotion in his new sphere. Westmeath Independent, May, 1915. Lieutenant P J Kelly.  Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. , has been transferred to Athlone, where he will be stationed for some time with his Battery. His many friends are pleased to have him amongst them again. Freeman’s Journal, 03/10/1916. Sincere regret was occasioned in Athlone at the intelligence of the death of Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Before receiving his commission in the Kitchener army Mr Kelly was engaged in the legal business in Athlone, and was a prominent member of the Athlone --- Club and several other local -----. He was a native of CountyClare, and great sympathy is felt for his young widow and child.

How about O'Kelly ?

Capture.JPG

Craig

Freaking hell Craig! I never thought to look in the probates, well done. You deserve a medal.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Clancy, Patrick. (Tipperary). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Irish Guards. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission these are false reports. ‘The only Patrick Clancy I can find in the Irish Guards was discharged in 1919 and there is no GRO death entry for such a name – in any year. ’. Newspapers/Books etc; Tipperary Star, September, 1915. Toomevara Notes. Parish Hall. At the Front. Private D Doherty, who has been on active service in Flanders since the commencement of the war, was lucky enough to escape uninjured though through many tough engagements until last week, when a German hand grenade got him. He is now in one of the Army Hospitals in England suffering from a severe wound in the head. Before entering on his present service he was a time expired man, but having joined the auxiliary forces he was lucky enough to be in the first batch of the Expeditionary Forces which sailed out for France just after the Germans had violated Belgian neutrality. Previously he had seen service in India, and South Africa. His mother, who lives in Toomevara, has been notified that he has been wounded, but so far it is not known how seriously. Private John Leamy is home on furlough before setting out again for the scene of hostilities. Leamy, who is in the Guards, was slightly wounded in Flanders, but has completely recovered, and expects to be back in a week or so in the trenches. Patrick Clancy, a young lad who joined the colours after the war commenced, is now on his way to France—John Hayes, of Ballinree, who returned to attend his fathers funeral from France has again sailed for the front. Michael and Frank Connors, sons of Mr Jeremiah O’Connor, late postman, Toomevara, have joined during past month. Tipperary Star, October, 1915. Death of a Toomeyvara Man at the Front.  Private Patrick Clancy, of the Irish Guards, who was severely wounded on the 18th inst, has died of his wounds at Abbeville Hospital, France. What gives a more pathetic touch to the death of young Clancy is the fact that on the day on which he received his death wound his mother had a letter from him in which he described his experiences of the trenches from which he had just been relieved. He was evidently in the best of spirits and had the highest praise for the men of his company. It is surmised by his family that he must have been wounded on his return to take up duty at the line of trenches, and so far all that is known is that he died on Monday morning from the hospital but confirmed subsequently from the War Office. A Roscrea Priest. During his last hours young Clancy was attended to by a young Roscrea priest, Rev. Father Owens, son of Mr P. Owens, B. A. , late principal of the RocreaSchool, and now manager of the Roscrea bacon factory. Mr Owens was for some time, prior to his appointment to Roscrea N. S. , principal of the Toomevara school where he made many life-long friends. Father Owens has written a very consoling letter to Clancy’s mother and assured her that her son was quite resigned and calmly awaited the end which he knew was approaching. His last request to Father Owens was to write to his mother and request he not to be too much worried at the news. Father Owens, describing the wounds says he was hit in four different places—chest, back, shoulders and thigh. A severe wound in the back, however, was the cause of the young soldier’s death. The Guards. Young Clancy was only 24 years of age and being in England at the outbreak of hostilities he, on the appeal for recruits by Mr Redmond, joined the Territorials. He was, however, anxious, to get into the splendid Irish regiment—the Irish Guards—and only awaited his training and physical development to get transferred to that unit. Though the Guards have suffered more perhaps in this year than any other regiment, still most young Irishmen are anxious when joining the army to be in that body. Clancy was of that way of thinking also and six weeks ago, when returning from a short furlough, he had been transferred. He was a general favourite with those of his own age in Toomevara and will be much regretted by all who knew him. Requieseat in pace.

Clancy ?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Craig

Agreed! See #288+9 :)

15 minutes ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Agreed! See #288+9 :)

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Freaking hell Craig! I never thought to look in the probates, well done. You deserve a medal.

Kind regards.

Tom.

You'd have thought an Irish paper would know better than to drop the 'O'' off

I find the probate's can be good for officers records.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

This is very good Craig and Simon, I have him listed as Cahill with parents Brigid and Patrick Clancy. So Clancy must be his true name. I will change it now. 

Craig, A great bit of detective work. Usually we drop the O, but O'Kelly is a rare  name ( only 2 O'Kelly casualties in the 26 counties) I had not considered it. A great bit of lateral searching indeed, well done and thank you very much indeed.

It just goes to show lots of minds are better than one.

Brilliant stuff, thank you again lads and lassies.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Reynolds

First name(s) -
Last name Reynolds
Gender Unknown
Birth year -
Death year 1918
Death date Dec 1918
Reported date 1918
Vessel name Panayiotis
Departure port -
Series BT 334
Box 0072
Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968

Thank you Simon. Great stuff.

This man is a total mystery, its says "" Discharged from the A. I. F. , 21-July-1920" and it shows this in his records. I think he is listed in the Kilrush casualties in error?  I hate to guess but would he have died and it not have been known at the time?

In the PDF below they are listed as two separate people.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/clare_men_women_great_war_3.pdf

Peter Reynolds: Moore St, Kilrush, Australian Imperial Force. Date of death unknown. KM. Peter Reynolds: Kilrush, Wounded, France, August, 1917; died Secondee, Gold Coast, West Africa, Sept 1918. Admirality ship "SS Panayiotis" Son of William and Bridget Reynolds. (TB) KM (See Profiles of the Clare War Dead N-W)

I will be in and out here all day, Sunday is busy for me so please dont thinki I am ignoring ye.

Thank you very much indeed for all your help. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

Can only see one Peter Reynolds b Kilrush:

Name: Peter Reynolds
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1895
Registration district: Kilrush
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 294
FHL Film Number: 101065

5891603984285696.png?k=lBI90sdAjkCIgZNbtMyT6CCJgmY

31 May 1895 father = William *sea captain* 

Service no: 1685 - '21 8/12' on enlistment on 26/2/16...

A seaman by profession… Could the 1920 date simply refer to the time he was struck off the strength of the A E F as they didn't know what happened to him?

4798821093867520.png?k=AN7XDS6P9iPGQtvvwrzEMY1RwJo

6241084198092800.png?k=BCtcjhFbvwSRCbj5cGcHURmIwZE

5170517428666368.png?k=7NTeM0qd0-ARD25DpNhscSVaad8

Great stuff Simon. Thank you kindly. I am now digesting it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Yes indeed Simon I think you have nailed it, This would not have been believeable without the docs you supplied. How you managed to search in this way only you know but the outcome seem clear.  I also agree that at the time of his discharge in 1920 he was already dead There is a story here for a great book!

Thank you very much indeed for your tenacity and help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Good one, Simon, well spotted.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Help again please guys and gals.

I cannot find a dickeybird on this lad. NO MIC, records, CWGC, SDGW, not a sausage. Can you help please? He looks easy enough to find, but no, he is not.
Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Dellamere.jpg

9 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Help again please guys and gals.

I cannot find a dickeybird on this lad. NO MIC, records, CWGC, SDGW, not a sausage. Can you help please? He looks easy enough to find, but no, he is not.
Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Dellamere.jpg

It's badly worded - did he die of wounds received on 19 Oct 16 or did he die on 19 Oct, of wounds received previously - but I'll take a look and see what I can see.

Craig

Thanks Craig, it looks like it can be taken either way, the date of the article is 08/11/1916 so he died between then and October 19, 1916.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Craig I have to head off shortly, so I will not be back before lunchtime.

Thank you kindly for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Possibly? APC Roll

4587094842540032.png?k=5V8OF5WdmlsHP5MocInApDFjpZk

Oooh Simon that looks good. Army Pay Corps and his number, what a great start.

How does this look?

name(s) Arthur Herbert
Last name Delamere
Age 30
Birth year 1889
Birth county Essex
Birth country England
Service number 1700
Regiment Army Pay Corps
Year 1919
Residence county London
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description WO 363 - First World War service records 'burnt documents'
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

Thank you kindly Simon.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Feck, he was medically examined in 1919. So its back to the drawing board.

Could Sgt. A. Dellamere have used an alias?

For solidiers of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who died on 19/10/1916 and lived in Somerset there's this one (But they have serving as Colman.):

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/511046/CRAPP, A O

There aren't many other Serjeants from the RDF killed in October/November 1916.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1&sort=dateofdeath&order=asc

Edited by wandererpaul

Well Paul, it looks like it ticks all the boxes!!  Now digging for clues to connect them together. Thank you very much and well done!

Kind regards.

Tom.