Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

Captain Leopold ffoulks-Fanshaw 1st Life Guards DSO three bars actually served as Private Jimmy Shorthouse 92nd Sanitary Section at Catterick - discharged sick.... 

O'Haloran/O'Halloran, Thomas. (Clare). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Connaught Rangers. Unit; 5th Battalion. Service No- 6137. Date of death; 30/11/1915. Born, Kilkee, CountyClare. Enlisted, Kilrush. Residence, Moyasta, CountyClare. Death- Killed in action in Salonika. Supplementary information;- This man is only in Soldiers Died in the Great War database. No burial information is available from the CWGC. He has however a medal index card that shows he had two names and two numbers. Thomas Nevils, No 28488 who did not die and was discharged to the reserve in 1919. The other card says his name is O’HALLORAN who went to the Balkans four weeks before he was supposed to have been killed in action and although he is not in the Commonwealth War Graves Database he is, in fact, listed on the Doiran memorial in Greece under his Serial Number 6137. The name on the memorial is scheduled to be deleted with about 60 others as they were found (since the end of the war) to be buried elsewhere. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown at this time (June-2012).

O'Halloran is in the effects records as death presumed - no further info given in teh register that they ever found out he was alive but they obviously found out at some point to connect the two men. ( I wonder if his father, who received the monies from his estate, knew he was alive or not).

The medal roll confirms that O'Halloran had deserted en-route -
Capture.JPG

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Whelan, Martin . (Limerick). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit; 5th Battalion. Service No- 5722. Date of death; 29/05/1918. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- Age on enlistment, 21yrs. Previous military service, 2 years with the Royal Munster Fusiliers, discharged 1908. Next of kin, wife, Julia Whelan (Nee O’Neill), 13 Nolans Cottages, Limerick. Married 26-January-1909, Rev M Murphy. Witnesses George Frawley and Mary Robinson. Children, Mary Brigid, 19-May-1910, Margaret, 05-November-1911, Teresa, 11-November-1913. Military character, good. A sober, honest and intelligent man. Service, 1 year, 141 days. Address on discharge,

8 Castle Street

, Limerick. Age at discharge 25yrs 9 mths. Height, 5ft 2 ¾ ins. Eyes, Brown/Hazel, Hair, Dark brown. Occupation on enlistment, Railway Porter. He was discharged in Cork on 15-June-1916, no longer fit for military service. Gunshot wound to left hand, 5-May-1915 at the Dardanelles. Discharged in consequence. In action 01-May-1915 at the Dardanelles, he was wounded in the left hand by a bayonet and a bullet. The left hand is in a state of rigidity, it is-----and the thumb is underneath the index finger. Can not flex or extend any of his fingers or thumb. Medical report, 06-July-1917. Prevents 5/10, Earning nil, nothing since discharge. Bd has strongly advised this man to find suitable employment. Admitted to 2nd London GeneralHospital 31-May-1917. Discharged 02-July-1917. Re-admitted 25-July-1917. Date of Death:29-May-1918. Service No:5722. His Medal Index Card shows he entered the Balkans theatre of war on25-April-1915. From his last will and testament, written 16-April-1915 his effects and property were received by;- Mrs Julia Whelan,

8 Castle St, Limerick, Ireland

. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown at this time.

Effects records only show the death after discharge - effects monies paid to his Julia. No extra information.

Craig

O'Farrell, William W . (Dublin). Rank- Sergeant. Regiment or service; Royal Field Artillery. Date of death; 25/10/1917. Born, . Residence, Dublin. Death- Died. Supplementary information;- The only information I can find on this soldier is from the Irish Times. He is unfindable in any of the databases. Newspapers/Books etc; The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. November 24, 1917. Sergeant William W O’Farrell, Royal Field Artillery, who died on 25th October, of illness contracted on active service, was the second son of Mrs R O’Farrell, of Howth, and the late Mr J X O’Farrell, of Dublin. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

He appears to have a SWB index card - enlisted 8/9/02, discharged 7/9/1915. Looks like he was time expired (period would match 12 + 1 years service). It's not clear if the badge was issued and no service number is shown - can't see an obvious roll entry yet.
Capture.JPG

Craig

Hill, William J. (King's County/Offaly). Rank- Corporal. Regiment or service; Machine Gun Corps. Service No-49001. Date of death; . Age; 29. Born, King's County. Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- Killed by Shellfire in France. Age at Death;29. He only appears in Irelands Memorial Records. He is not listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War and he is not listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A quick check with the National Archives in Kew shows that there is no Medal Index Card for Serial No 49001, Corporal Hill. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Died 1916 according to the memorial records - so born approx 1887. Can't see anything else presently.

Craig

McCormack, William. (King's County/Offaly). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Leinster Regiment. Service No- 3576. Date of death; 15/07/1915. Age; 46. Born, Birr, King's County. Residence, . Death- Died of wounds at the Dardanelles. Supplementary information;- Won the South African Kings and Queens medals. He only appears in Irelands Memorial Records. He is not listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War and he is not listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A quick check with the National Archives in Kew shows that there is no Medal Index Card for Serial No 3576, McCormack. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Only 1 Leinster man died on 15/7/15 according to the effects records - 1139 Joseph Tierney.

Best match on the 1911 census for a William McCormack
Capture.JPG

McCormack was born abt 1869. I wonder if #3576 was an old service number. #3576 was allocated in the Leinster Regiment to a regular between Jan 1892 and Feb 1893.  Could he have been a boy soldier ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Johnston, Walter Wilson. (Monaghan). Rank- Lieutenant. Regiment or service; Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Date of death; 17/05/1920. Age; 22. Born, Monaghan. Residence, . Death- Died from illness contracted on active Service (Weekly Irish Times, 22/05/1920). Supplementary information;- Son of Walter and Martha Johnston, of Swan Parl, Monaghan. Newspapers/Books etc; Weekly Irish Times, May 22, 1920. Roll of Honour. Johnston-May 17, 1920, from illness contracted on active service, Lieutenant Walter W Johnston, R Dublin Fusiliers, son of Walter Johnston and Mrs Johnston, SwanPark, Monaghan. The Irish Times, May 18, 1925. Roll of Honour. (1914-1918). In Memoriam. Johnston-In loving memory of Lieutenant Walter Johnston, 2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who died of illness contracted on active service, May 11th, 1920, dearly beloved only child of Mr and Mrs Johnston, Frederick House, Lurgan, and formerly of Monaghan. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Walter's Probate record - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9TMC-VRK?mode=g&i=381&cc=1921305

Craig

Kerr, W C. (Westmeath). Rank- Captain. Regiment or service; Royal Field Artillery. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- This officer cannot be found in any of the databases. I include him for your reference. Westmeath Hunt. Roll of Honour as listed in the Westmeath Examiner, February, 1916;Captain W. C. Kerr, R. F. A. killed in action. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Rait-Kerr ? W C was killed 1914 but late confirmation ?
Capture.JPG

Craig

What can I say Craig? you played a stormer, A STORMER!! I tells ya. Brilliant stuff. Go to the head of the class and than you very much for your help, it really is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Cutle, Unknown. (Westmeath). Rank- Private. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- The only reference to this soldier is in the Westmeath Examiner, November-1915. Newspapers/Books etc; Westmeath Examiner, November-1915. The Roll of Honour. We regret to announce the death in action of Private Cutle, a native of the Downs, Mullingar. The deceased belonged to a highly respected family, and deep sympathy is felt at his demise. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Can't see anything obvious for him.

Craig

Tom,

Cutle is a strange surname isn't it.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find the surname anywhere in Ireland in 1911.

Trying to narrow the search area down to Co.Westmeath, or even Mullinagar or even the Downs doesn't really bring anything vaguely resembling it.

However in one of my searches I happened to come across this man, who also served under an alias.Nothing to do with Cutle!

Perhaps you know of him already?

If not, It might save us all a few brain cells in future???

DELANEY, JOHN JOSEPH

Service No: 3868
Date of Death: 06/11/1914
Regiment/Service: Irish Guards 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 11.
Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: (Served as CARROLL), Son of Edward and Anastatia Delaney, of 11, Le Vere Terrace, Harold's Cross,.

Thank you Dai, the lad Delaney I have, I even have a picture of him, any use?

The Downs, is a place I actually know. Its about two miles south of Mullingar town. Its a small enough place. I think you are right and Cutle is a bad spelling or an alias, but try as I might I cannot find someone of a different name that could be him.

Thanks for all your help!

Kind regards.

Tom

49 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Tom,

Cutle is a strange surname isn't it.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find the surname anywhere in Ireland in 1911.

Trying to narrow the search area down to Co.Westmeath, or even Mullinagar or even the Downs doesn't really bring anything vaguely resembling it.

However in one of my searches I happened to come across this man, who also served under an alias.Nothing to do with Cutle!

Perhaps you know of him already?

If not, It might save us all a few brain cells in future???

DELANEY, JOHN JOSEPH

Service No: 3868
Date of Death: 06/11/1914
Regiment/Service: Irish Guards 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 11.
Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: (Served as CARROLL), Son of Edward and Anastatia Delaney, of 11, Le Vere Terrace, Harold's Cross,.

The odd surname threw me as well - can't see it anywhere. I suspect it's a mangled attempt from the something else.

Craig

I'm getting a few Mullingar births for CADDLE? 

Its as good as anything Simon and Craig. I was thinking though what name could be mistaken for Cutle? and I thought maybe Cuffe? Now there are no Cuffe death listed in Westmeath for WW1 so that is not a goer.

The Downs is a place that can be listed as Mullingar also as its so small and right beside it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

9 minutes ago, Simon_Fielding said:

I'm getting a few Mullingar births for CADDLE? 

I think the man is related to Captain Leopold ffoulks-Fanshaw .

I tried Geoffs search engine to check for any extra text from the family that might have listed place of birth but no good. Nor was a search on soldiers died based on birth place. I wonder if he was another alias.

Craig

:)

This chap from the right place,and an alias as 'Lennon'.... 

Private
Service No:
6/2998
Date of Death:
21/09/1915
Regiment/Service:
Leinster Regiment

6th Bn.
Grave Reference:
IV. A. 201.
Cemetery:
PORTIANOS MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information:
Son of Peter Glennon, of "The Downs," Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.

Yes, a quick Google reveals a long line of Glennons at that address. The paper cutting mentions that he was from a highly respected family.

Good try Dai, but we need more. 

Hows about a new lot of unfindable lads tomorrow? Would you be willing to have a go again please lads and lassies?

Kind regards.

Tom.

27 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Good try Dai, but we need more. 

Hows about a new lot of unfindable lads tomorrow? Would you be willing to have a go again please lads and lassies?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252