Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

I enjoyed that litte journey witht ye lads. It made a change to walk with ye instead of being hauled by the scruff of the neck to the finish line!

9 minutes ago, museumtom said:

I enjoyed that litte journey witht ye lads. It made a change to walk with ye instead of being hauled by the scruff of the neck to the finish line!

Research is a Sisyphean task.

I added some extra to post #274 to confirm it is the right family (not sure if you saw the post since I updated it).

Craig

Yep Bernard Greene looks good and fits well, Thanks Craig, not just off to learn what a  Sisyphean is.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I've missed the fun! 

Great work! 

Boulder and boulder = Sisyphean pun.... 

Welcome back Simon!

The thing is, are ye ready for more unfindables? If so I will post them in the morning. I know I am being cheeky but I really do appreciate your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Bring it on! 

1 hour ago, IPT said:

I do hope the ointment clears up the Sisyphus.

I'm sure the good Doc will sort something if it doesn't clear in a week or so.

Craig

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

The original Sisyphus

GaGuD.gif

Regards Ray

OK guys I got it, yep, it clearly shows frustration, and thats the crux of the whole thing. Its not a word thats very common here is a tiny country village in rural Tipperary. They would say p.... against the breeze, or something less flattering.

Anyway here is the next instalment ( i have loads of this, sorry, its the nature of the beast).

Thanks lads and lassies in advance for any help you can offer.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Limerick Chronicle, October, 1915. Arabic Victims. Washed Ashore on CorkCoast. A Skibbereen telegram says—Five bodies of Arabic have been washed ashore during the past week. There were much decomposed. The body of a man was indentified as a P Fitzgerald, of Wexford, by a silver watch, and ---d marked Cullendale Terrace,

Wharf Road, Dublin
. . . . . Notes- Aboard the S S Arabic, Liverpool, it is not known if he was a crew member.

Westmeath Independent, October, 1916. Late Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Sincere regret was occasioned in Athlone at the intelligence of the death of Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Before receiving his commission in the Kitchener army, Mr Kelly was engaged in legal business in Athlone, and was a prominent member of the Athlone Boat Club, and several other local societies. He was a native of CountyClare. Much sympathy is felt for his young widow and child. Newspapers/Books etc; Westmeath Independent, October, 1916. Late Lieutenant P J Kelly. At the meeting of the Third Order of St Francis on Sunday evening, Very rev. Fr Fidelis asked the prayers of the members for the late Lt P J Kelly, who, up to the time he joined the colours, was a very efficient Secretary of the Branch. Clare Journal and Limerick Chronicle, October 1916. Lieutenant P. J. Kelly, R. F. A. Lieutenant P. J. Kelly, R. F. A. , whose death is reported from Athlone, where he had been in the legal business before getting his commission, was a prominent member of the Athlone Boat Club. He was a Clare man, being, we understand, son of Mr P. Kelly, Caher, Feakle, East Clare. Westmeath Independent, November, 1914. Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Mr P J Kelly, has been granted a Commission in the R. F. A. , and will begin training at Newbridge. Mr Kelly has been in Athlone for some four years, and in that comparatively short period he had made a host of friends. He was vice President of the Athlone Division, A. O. H. , Secretary to the Athlone Boat Club, and Insurance Secretary in the A. O. H. he was a Clerk in the firm of—ily and Fair, solicitors. Mr Kelly was also a prominent member of St Peter’s Pioneer Total Abstinence Association. His departure from Athlone will be sincerely regretted, and he take with him the best wishes of his many friends for success and -----promotion in his new sphere. Westmeath Independent, May, 1915. Lieutenant P J Kelly.  Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. , has been transferred to Athlone, where he will be stationed for some time with his Battery. His many friends are pleased to have him amongst them again. Freeman’s Journal, 03/10/1916. Sincere regret was occasioned in Athlone at the intelligence of the death of Lieutenant P J Kelly, R. F. A. Before receiving his commission in the Kitchener army Mr Kelly was engaged in the legal business in Athlone, and was a prominent member of the Athlone --- Club and several other local -----. He was a native of CountyClare, and great sympathy is felt for his young widow and child.

Weekly Irish Times, June 8, 1918. Roll of Honour. Barnes-April 6, Joseph, son of the late Patrick Barnes, of Graigue House, Clonmel, of fever while on active service.

Limerick Chronicle, August, 1915. Limerick Soldier Receives the D. C. M. For Conspicuous Bravery. Corporal Daniel Beary, of Derk, CountyLimerick, of the 1st Liverpool Regiment, has received the D. C. M. , for conspicuous bravery in the field where he received promotion. He has written to his brother at Derk announcing the honour that has been conferred on him, and stating that he has just recovered from gas poisoning, and is leaving again for the front. Of the three brothers who went to the front, Daniel is the sole survivor, Matthew and Pat having been killed.

Clancy, Patrick. (Tipperary). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Irish Guards. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission these are false reports. ‘The only Patrick Clancy I can find in the Irish Guards was discharged in 1919 and there is no GRO death entry for such a name – in any year. ’. Newspapers/Books etc; Tipperary Star, September, 1915. Toomevara Notes. Parish Hall. At the Front. Private D Doherty, who has been on active service in Flanders since the commencement of the war, was lucky enough to escape uninjured though through many tough engagements until last week, when a German hand grenade got him. He is now in one of the Army Hospitals in England suffering from a severe wound in the head. Before entering on his present service he was a time expired man, but having joined the auxiliary forces he was lucky enough to be in the first batch of the Expeditionary Forces which sailed out for France just after the Germans had violated Belgian neutrality. Previously he had seen service in India, and South Africa. His mother, who lives in Toomevara, has been notified that he has been wounded, but so far it is not known how seriously. Private John Leamy is home on furlough before setting out again for the scene of hostilities. Leamy, who is in the Guards, was slightly wounded in Flanders, but has completely recovered, and expects to be back in a week or so in the trenches. Patrick Clancy, a young lad who joined the colours after the war commenced, is now on his way to France—John Hayes, of Ballinree, who returned to attend his fathers funeral from France has again sailed for the front. Michael and Frank Connors, sons of Mr Jeremiah O’Connor, late postman, Toomevara, have joined during past month. Tipperary Star, October, 1915. Death of a Toomeyvara Man at the Front.  Private Patrick Clancy, of the Irish Guards, who was severely wounded on the 18th inst, has died of his wounds at Abbeville Hospital, France. What gives a more pathetic touch to the death of young Clancy is the fact that on the day on which he received his death wound his mother had a letter from him in which he described his experiences of the trenches from which he had just been relieved. He was evidently in the best of spirits and had the highest praise for the men of his company. It is surmised by his family that he must have been wounded on his return to take up duty at the line of trenches, and so far all that is known is that he died on Monday morning from the hospital but confirmed subsequently from the War Office. A Roscrea Priest. During his last hours young Clancy was attended to by a young Roscrea priest, Rev. Father Owens, son of Mr P. Owens, B. A. , late principal of the RocreaSchool, and now manager of the Roscrea bacon factory. Mr Owens was for some time, prior to his appointment to Roscrea N. S. , principal of the Toomevara school where he made many life-long friends. Father Owens has written a very consoling letter to Clancy’s mother and assured her that her son was quite resigned and calmly awaited the end which he knew was approaching. His last request to Father Owens was to write to his mother and request he not to be too much worried at the news. Father Owens, describing the wounds says he was hit in four different places—chest, back, shoulders and thigh. A severe wound in the back, however, was the cause of the young soldier’s death. The Guards. Young Clancy was only 24 years of age and being in England at the outbreak of hostilities he, on the appeal for recruits by Mr Redmond, joined the Territorials. He was, however, anxious, to get into the splendid Irish regiment—the Irish Guards—and only awaited his training and physical development to get transferred to that unit. Though the Guards have suffered more perhaps in this year than any other regiment, still most young Irishmen are anxious when joining the army to be in that body. Clancy was of that way of thinking also and six weeks ago, when returning from a short furlough, he had been transferred. He was a general favourite with those of his own age in Toomevara and will be much regretted by all who knew him. Requieseat in pace.

Doolan, Patrick. (King's County/Offaly). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Leinster Regiment. Service No- 2653. Date of death; 28/03/1917. Age; 40. Born, King's County. Residence, . Death- Died of wounds in France. Supplementary information;- This man is a bit of a mystery. He only appears in Irelands Memorial Records. He is not listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War and he is not listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A quick check with the National Archives in Kew shows that there is no Medal Index Card for No 2653 Patrick Doolan.

Power, Patrick. (Waterford). Rank- Sailor. Unit; Unknown. Date of death; ?01/1917. Born, . Residence, Dungarvan, CountyWaterford. Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information I have on this sailor is contained in the following articles. He is not in any of the War Dead databases. Cork Examiner and the Waterford News, January, 1917. Dungarvan Sailor Killed on board Ship. The sad intelligence has come to hand of the death on board ship of a sailor from Abbeyside, Dungarvan, named Patrick Power. He was thirty-one years of age, and held the permanent position among the crew. It appears he was called to go on watch at five o’clock in the morning, when the ship was somewhere in the Bay of Biscay, bound for Truro, and walking along the deck, it being quite dark, he fell into the hold to a depth of forty feet, and was killed instantly. The news was sent to the Rev. P. Byrne, P. P, Abbeyside, and conveyed to the poor mother, who is heart-broken, as the son was her chief mainstay, always sending her the greater portion of his wages. The remains were taken on shore to the nearest island and interred. The greatest sympathy is expended to the poor mother in her great affliction. Newspapers/Books etc; Limerick Chronicle, January, 1917. Patrick Power, 31, of Dungarvan, Seaman, has been killed by falling into the hold of a vessel upon which he was serving.

Reynolds, Peter. (Clare). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; Australian Imperial. Force. Unit; A Company, 35th Battalion. Service No- 1685. Date of death; Unknown. Born, Kilrush, CountyClare. Enlisted, Newcastle, N. S. W. Residence, . Death- Wounded in France and died in Africa. Supplementary information;- Occupation on enlistment, Seaman. Age on enlistment; 21 years 8 months. Next of kin details; (mother)Mrs Bridget Reynolds,

8 Moore Street
, Kilrush, County Clare, Ireland. Later changed to (father) Mr William Reynolds,
8 Moore Street
, Kilrush, County Clare, Ireland. Weight, 140 lbs. Height, 5 feet, 5 ½ inches. Complexion, fresh. Eyes, brown. Hair, brown. Address on enlistment, Boat Hotel, Stocton. Declared an illegal absentee from Larkhill at a Court of Enquiry held in London on 26-September-1916. Discharged from the A. I. F. , 21-July-1920. Served 213 days total of which 143 days of this service was abroad. Commemorated in the ‘List of Kilrush Men engaged in the War from August 1914’. This pamphlet lists the Kilrush men who were involved in the war until 11-November-1918. It adds that he was wounded in France and died in Africa. He is also commemorated in a different section to Kilrush men of the Mercantile Marine where its adds; ‘ Wounded, France, August-1917, died Secondee, Gold Coast, West Africa, September-1918. Admiralty ship ‘Pantiotis’’. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- Enlisted 26-February-1916. Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

O'Brien, Richard. (Waterford). Rank- Unknown. Regiment or service; unknown. Unit; The barque, ‘Avanti Savoir’. Date of death; ?/04/1915. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information I have on this sailor is contained in;Waterford News. April, 1915. Waterford Sailor Drowned. On Thursday last it was reported in the Press that the body of a Waterford sailor named Kennedy, had been washed ashore from the wreck of the barque Avanti Savoir, off the Shetlands. It now appears that though his discharge book had the name Kennedy on it, the mans real name was Richard O’Brien, and that he is son of Mr O’Brien, a Corporation employee, residing at John’s Court,

John Street
. A kindly gentleman, residing at Sheld Reawick, Shetland, took the trouble of addressing a letter containing particulars, to “The relatives of Richard O’Brien, Seaman, John Street, Waterford” and through the instrumentality of Mr G Hynes, local Secretary of the Sailors ad Firemen’s Union, the letter reached deceased’s father. It appears that it is nine or ten years since the deceased has been in Waterford. Wreck a Mystery.  In the course of his letter. Mr Moar states, “I was there when the wreckage came ashore, and am sorry to say the crew must all have been lost. Up to the present (the letter is dated 11th April) nine bodies have been recovered. It was on Tuesday morning that the body of Richard O’Brien was found. The name was found on the Union Book (Sailors and Fireman’s Union) in his pocket. The bodies were interred in the churchyard, Weskerskeld, Sandsting, on Thursday. They were given a very decent burial, the people of the district doing everything possible. Over 200 men attended the funeral. How the barque went ashore is a mystery. There was a strong breeze blowing, but nothing to hurt a ship of her size unless she was disabled. It will likely remain a mystery. If this reaches any relative of Richard O’Brien, I am willing to tell them all I know. ”.

First name(s) R
Last name Obrien
Gender Unknown
Birth year 1888
Birth date 1888
Birth place Waterford
Death year 1915
Death date 4 Apr 1915
Age 27
Vessel name Avanti Savoia
Departure port -
Series BT 334
Box 0065
Page 20
Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968

First name(s) Patrick
Last name Power
Gender Male
Birth year 1886
Birth date 1886
Birth place Dungarvan
Death year 1916
Death date 17 Nov 1916
Age 30
Vessel name Penvearn
Departure port -
County AT SEA
Series BT 334
Box 0067
Page 17
Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968

CAHILL, P J

Private
Service No:
Date of Death:
23/10/1915
Regiment/Service:
Irish Guards

1st Bn.
Grave Reference:
III. C. 9.
Cemetery:
ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Additional Information:
Son of Bridget and Patrick Clancy, of Toomevara, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary.

Name:Patrick Cahill

Birth Place:Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Residence:Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Death Date:23 Oct 1915

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Neath, Glam.

Regiment:Irish Guards

Battalion:1st Battalion

Regimental Number:7714

Type of Casualty:Died of wounds

Haven't even had my breakfast yet.... :)

Brilliant Simon, Excellent stuff, I can only imagine what you are like with a rasher sandwich inside you! Can you please tell me about Power and O'Brien please. Are they Merchant Navy?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Possibly:

UK, Campaign Medals Awarded to WWI Merchant Seamen, 1914-1925
Name:    Patrick Power
Birth Date:    1888
Birth Place:    Waterford
Year Issued:    1914-1925

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?201090

http://peterbiehl.com/html/avanti_savoia.html

= 'Avanti Savoia'

The first one on your new list was Patrick F Fitzgerald  a British commercial traveler 

a civilian casualty of war 

RMS (also SS) Arabic was a passenger ship of the White Star Line

The German submarine U-24 torpedoed Arabic during unrestricted submarine warfare  

Ray

Hi All

Patrick Power, Ireland Civil Registration  Deaths Index, b.1886 died 1916 age 30 yrs. Page 40 Film No.0101606?

SS Penvearn entered RN Service 2/1916.

Patrick Power not on 1915 crew list.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Possible for Kelly? 'Crown solicitor' but seems a bit old - 

Residents of a house 1 in Athlone (Part of Urban) (Athlone East Urban, Westmeath)

Residents of a house 1 in Athlone (Part of Urban) (Athlone East Urban, Westmeath)

Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Kelly Patrick Robert 45 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Kelly Ethel Harrietta 45 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Kelly Phyllis Steel 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
Kelly Dorothy Hilda 17 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
Kelly Robert Patrick 8 Male Son Roman Catholic
Fitzpatrick Lizzie 28 Female Servant Roman Catholic
Collins Kate 25 Female Servant Roman Catholic
Kewe Jane 26 Female Servant Roman Catholic

Kelly described as deceased in Dublin Daily Express 13th July 1916.... 

5791855918972928.png?k=siQDTDOtB6MUY-AYLd2uWLLXx1w

I do apologise for not coming back sooner, but its Saturday and herself has to be looked after, so I just had to keep the head down and do as I was told, you know the story.If she reads this I’m dead. Thank you Simon, indeed! Kelly looks good but his date of death is June and he is not PJ Kelly, I did not find an MIC for a P J Kelly either. I would love if your speculation works out but I need a bit more convincing, sorry Simon, but thank you for looking!

Thank you Ray, I was hoping for a Navy or army connection for Fitzgerald, but if you say he was a civilian then it is so. You are a gent.

Thank you Barry, SS Penvearn it is, you have confirmed what Simon found earlier, and a death date for Kelly, excellent stuff, and thank you kindly.

I really do appreciate you help very much indeed, and hey, if you need any help I am ready and willing!

Kind regards.

Tom.