Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

Round 2.

More mysteries that need help please lads and lassies.

The Freeman’s Journal. Duffy-October 30, 1914, lost in the wreck of Hospital Ship Rohilla, off Whitby, Quartermaster Matthew J Duffy, son of the late James Duffy, Thomas Street, Dublin, and grandson of the late Matthew Duffy, Skerryhill House, Rathfeigh, County Meath. R. I. P. American papers please copy.

Claiton, Maurice Herbert. (Dublin). Rank- Lieutenant. Regiment or service; Royal Irish Regiment. Date of death; 04/04/1919. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died . Supplementary information;- This officer is unfindable in any database. Newspapers/Books etc; Weekly Irish Times, March 15, 1919. Roll of Honour. Claiton-March 4, 1919, in France, of pneumonia, Maurice Herbert Claiton, Lieutenant, R. I. R. , son of Mrs H J Claiton, “St George’s. ” Killiney. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Brophy, Michael. (Westmeath). Rank- . Regiment or service; Connaught Rangers. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- This soldier cannot be found in any of the databases. I include him for your reference. Newspapers/Books etc; Westmeath Independent, November, 1914. During the week the relatives of the following Athlone men were notified that they had been killed at the front, Viz. ; Michael Brophy,

Brideswell Street
(Connaughts);. Westmeath Independent, November, 1914. Athlone’s Roll of Honour. Killed at the Front. Michael Brophy, Connaughts. Freeman’s Journal, 26/11/1914. Athlone Men at The Front. Our Athlone correspondent informs us that Athlone has contributed largely to the Irish forces at the front, most of them being drawn from the ranks of the National Volunteers. Official intimation has been received of the death of six of them serving with the Connaughts and Garrison Artillery-Sergeant P Murray, P Sweeney, M Brophy, M Lyons, P Brennan, and W Dowling. Several Athlone men in the Leinsters are reported officially as wounded or missing. Several instances are to be found, he further states, of three sons serving out of one family; also several instances of two sons serving. Mrs Hickman, of
Patrick Street
, has four sons serving; three are still in the firing line, and the other, Trooper John Hickman, was wounded at Ypres. . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Collins, Michael. (Tipperary, Waterford). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; British Army. Date of death; November-December-1917. Born, . Residence, Waterford. Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information I have on this soldier comes from an article in the Tipperary Star. Newspapers/Books etc; Tipperary Star, December, 1917. Mangled at Thurles. Soldier’s Sad death. Michael Collins, a private soldier in the English army, was the victim of a regrettable and fatal accident at Thurles station on Tuesday night. According to the police it appears that Collins, who was apparently of an excitable disposition, was in the act of boarding a carriage at the 9-15 p. m. , train when he missed his footing and fell between two carriages just as the train began to move. He was hurled under the carriage wheels which passed over his arms and legs; the alarm was sounded and when the train pulled to again the poor fellow was picked up in a dying condition, with his limbs horribly bruised and mangled. He was taken to the workhouse hospital by members of the Thurles R. I. C. , and had one of his legs amputated, but no hope was entertained for his recovery and he died at 9 o’clock next morning. Dotors Callanan and Jackman rendered medical assistance. On admission to the hospital the deceased gave WaterfordCity as his address where he said his wife and children four children reside. Having seen long service at the front and being rendered unfit, on account of wounds, for active fighting he was classed for Home service; he was travelling from Portobello Barracks, Dublin, to Berehaven, for Garrison duty there, and broke the journey at Thurles there, where he stayed for some hours until the arrival of the night train from Dublin. It is alleged that ---the train’s arrival the deceased who was waiting on the platform carried on---argument with some policemen and others on matters of political import, and a scuffle took place and the soldier shouted Sinn Fein cries, creating not a little commotion on the platform. The District Coroner, on being made aware of the facts of the case, did not deem an inquest necessary. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Glennon, Michael. (Longford). Rank- . Date of death; Jan-16. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information on this man is contiand in the article in the Midland Reporter and Westmeath Nationalist, January, 1916,. Newspapers/Books etc; Midland Reporter and Westmeath Nationalist, January, 1916,Boy’s Strange Discovery. Whilst some boys were hurling at Crinkle, Birr, they discovered in the MilitaryCemetery the body of Michael Glennon, a farmer’s son, aged about thirty years, said to be of Cranleymore, Edgeworthstown, CountyLongford. A pass form on the body showed that he had enlisted, and attested at Longford. There were no marks of violence. The body was conveyed home by motor by the friends of the deceased. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Casey, Michael John. (Waterford). Rank- First Mate/Acting Captain. Regiment or service; Unknown. Date of death; Unknown. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- Waterford News, December, 1917. Waterford Captain’s Sad End. Much regret will be felt in Waterford at the tragic death, which occurred recently at a French port, of Mr Michael J. Casey, son of Mr John Casey, Summerland, Waterford. Deceased was First Mate on a merchant vessel, and was Acting-Captain at the time he met his end. As a result of a severe accident he received his two legs were amputated. He was in the prime of life, and had spent most of his years at sea. The deceased was a very popular and capable officer, was brother-in-law of Mr Godwin, manager Messrs O’Grady’s, Kilkenny. A full report of the accident is reported in the Munster Express, December, 1917. This man is not in any of the War Dead Databases. The only reference I can find to him is the above. Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Feeney, Mildred. (Kilkenny). Rank- Nurse. Regiment or service; Voluntary Aid Detachment.  . Date of death; 08/11/1918. Born, Kilkenny. Residence, . Death- Died at the Naval Hospital, Chatham. Supplementary information;- . Newspapers/Books etc; . . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Furlong, Nicholas. (Wexford). Rank- Sailor. Regiment or service; Unknown. Date of death; 1917. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information I have on this casualty is from the article in the Carlow Sentinel. Newspapers/Books etc; Carlow Sentinel, December,1917. Fatal Railway Accident. At an inquest held in Wexford County Infirmary by Mr John J Roche, Coroner, South Wexford, on the body of Nicholas Furlong, a Wexford Sailor, who died as a result of injuries sustained by falling under a railway carriage, having alighted before the train stopped, a verdict of accidental death was returned. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Claiton, Maurice Herbert. (Dublin). Rank- Lieutenant. Regiment or service; Royal Irish Regiment. Date of death; 04/04/1919. Born, . Residence, . Death- Died . Supplementary information;- This officer is unfindable in any database. Newspapers/Books etc; Weekly Irish Times, March 15, 1919. Roll of Honour. Claiton-March 4, 1919, in France, of pneumonia, Maurice Herbert Claiton, Lieutenant, R. I. R. , son of Mrs H J Claiton, “St George’s. ” Killiney. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Nothing in the effects records to show he died in service in the British Army.

Brophy, Michael. (Westmeath). Rank- . Regiment or service; Connaught Rangers. Date of death; . Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- This soldier cannot be found in any of the databases. I include him for your reference. Newspapers/Books etc; Westmeath Independent, November, 1914. During the week the relatives of the following Athlone men were notified that they had been killed at the front, Viz. ; Michael Brophy,

Brideswell Street

(Connaughts);. Westmeath Independent, November, 1914. Athlone’s Roll of Honour. Killed at the Front. Michael Brophy, Connaughts. Freeman’s Journal, 26/11/1914. Athlone Men at The Front. Our Athlone correspondent informs us that Athlone has contributed largely to the Irish forces at the front, most of them being drawn from the ranks of the National Volunteers. Official intimation has been received of the death of six of them serving with the Connaughts and Garrison Artillery-Sergeant P Murray, P Sweeney, M Brophy, M Lyons, P Brennan, and W Dowling. Several Athlone men in the Leinsters are reported officially as wounded or missing. Several instances are to be found, he further states, of three sons serving out of one family; also several instances of two sons serving. Mrs Hickman, of

Patrick Street

, has four sons serving; three are still in the firing line, and the other, Trooper John Hickman, was wounded at Ypres. . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Only Michael Brophy I can see in the relative time line is Royal Irish # 8113  'Michl Brophy' (as per the effects transcription). Born in Rathoe. Died at Hewbridge Co Kildare.

Collins, Michael. (Tipperary, Waterford). Rank- Private. Regiment or service; British Army. Date of death; November-December-1917. Born, . Residence, Waterford. Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information I have on this soldier comes from an article in the Tipperary Star. Newspapers/Books etc; Tipperary Star, December, 1917. Mangled at Thurles. Soldier’s Sad death. Michael Collins, a private soldier in the English army, was the victim of a regrettable and fatal accident at Thurles station on Tuesday night. According to the police it appears that Collins, who was apparently of an excitable disposition, was in the act of boarding a carriage at the 9-15 p. m. , train when he missed his footing and fell between two carriages just as the train began to move. He was hurled under the carriage wheels which passed over his arms and legs; the alarm was sounded and when the train pulled to again the poor fellow was picked up in a dying condition, with his limbs horribly bruised and mangled. He was taken to the workhouse hospital by members of the Thurles R. I. C. , and had one of his legs amputated, but no hope was entertained for his recovery and he died at 9 o’clock next morning. Dotors Callanan and Jackman rendered medical assistance. On admission to the hospital the deceased gave WaterfordCity as his address where he said his wife and children four children reside. Having seen long service at the front and being rendered unfit, on account of wounds, for active fighting he was classed for Home service; he was travelling from Portobello Barracks, Dublin, to Berehaven, for Garrison duty there, and broke the journey at Thurles there, where he stayed for some hours until the arrival of the night train from Dublin. It is alleged that ---the train’s arrival the deceased who was waiting on the platform carried on---argument with some policemen and others on matters of political import, and a scuffle took place and the soldier shouted Sinn Fein cries, creating not a little commotion on the platform. The District Coroner, on being made aware of the facts of the case, did not deem an inquest necessary. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Best census records I can see for him - I wonder if #2 is him but there a couple of other men who could fit the age.
Capture.JPG

Glennon, Michael. (Longford). Rank- . Date of death; Jan-16. Born, . Residence, . Death- . Supplementary information;- The only information on this man is contiand in the article in the Midland Reporter and Westmeath Nationalist, January, 1916,. Newspapers/Books etc; Midland Reporter and Westmeath Nationalist, January, 1916,Boy’s Strange Discovery. Whilst some boys were hurling at Crinkle, Birr, they discovered in the MilitaryCemetery the body of Michael Glennon, a farmer’s son, aged about thirty years, said to be of Cranleymore, Edgeworthstown, CountyLongford. A pass form on the body showed that he had enlisted, and attested at Longford. There were no marks of violence. The body was conveyed home by motor by the friends of the deceased. . . . . Notes- . Grave or Memorial Reference; . Cemetery. - Unknown.

Best possible census record I can see for him
Capture.JPG

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Clive, you are a gentleman, thank you kindly.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Nice work, Clive.

There's a death registered in Medway, Kent in 4th Qtr 1918 for a Mildred Feeney, aged 26. Ireland: National Roll of Honour gives her death date as 8/11/1918.

I suspect she's Mildred Eleanor Feeney, who was living at 16 Patrick Street, KIlkenny on the 1911 census. (There's an Irish military record on FMP, that I haven't got access to, which has a 1918 death for Mildred Eleanor Feeney).

mid_000000.jpg mid_000000.jpg

Note the discrepancy in dates between the two images.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205380327

10 minutes ago, IPT said:

Nice work, Clive.

There's a death registered in Medway, Kent in 4th Qtr 1918 for a Mildred Feeney, aged 26. Ireland: National Roll of Honour gives her death date as 8/11/1918.

I suspect she's Mildred Eleanor Feeney, who was living at 16 Patrick Street, KIlkenny on the 1911 census. (There's an Irish military record on FMP, that I haven't got access to, which has a 1918 death for Mildred Eleanor Feeney).

mid_000000.jpg mid_000000.jpg

Note the discrepancy in dates between the two images.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205380327

It's a memorial record stating she died 8 Nov 18,

Craig

5 hours ago, museumtom said:

"St George's", Killiney, was a house built by the architect George Coppinger Ashlin. He died there 10/12/1921. On the 1911 census, he was living there with his wife and two local sisters, Mary Anne and Kathleen Clarke, as servants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ashlin

Sorry Craig that should have been, so much for multitasking and thanks for your help. I am stunned that IPT found a photo of Mildred, I never even considered one might exist, thank you IPT! Wow that was very helpful indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Sorry Craig that should have been, so much for multitasking and thanks for your help. I am stunned that IPT found a photo of Mildred, I never even considered one might exist, thank you IPT! Wow that was very helpful indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks Tom.  It's nice to see pictures, still an unfortunate rarity.

Craig

First name(s) M J
Last name Duffy
Gender Unknown
Birth year 1865
Birth date 1865
Birth place Dublin
Death year 1914
Death date 31 Oct 1914
Age 49
Vessel name Rohilla
Departure port -
Series BT 334
Box 0062
Page 8&9
Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968

Simon, Simon, Simon, what a find indeed! Damn you guys are good. Feck did I say Damn? Damn did I say feck?. Happy days, thanks lads!

Craig I have posted it on the Kilkenny War Memorial facebook page and they like it also.

Aww...I'm just a Luke to Craig's Yoda.... :)

4 minutes ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Aww...I'm just a Luke to Craig's Yoda.... :)

To paraphrase "That isn't the man you're looking for"

It's odd the number of Irish 'soldiers' who aren't appearing in the effects records - wrong names, cock-up in the Irish depot's ?

Craig

It beats me lads. But you are doing great!.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Could I ask you please if there is NOK info on this mans MIC or Effects register. Sorry for being so persistent.

He is not in FMP, and was born at Aldershot.

Kind regards.

Tom.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/609309/McGRANE, CHARLES

Widow Catherine also given as Catherine Daley... remarried? 

Thank you Simon, sorry I do not know his wifes name. I know he was married but dont have a name or location. His photo is in a Dublin paper so I hoped he lived there with is wife.

Thank you Simon.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Craig that looks like our man. I had a search but could not find anything on them, you make it look easy, but it is not easy by any means. You have solved the mystery. Thank you very much indeed!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello again lads and lassies. Guess who, scourge and me ma used to call me. 

This lad evades me TOTALLY. I cannot pin him down. Can you help please? Any suggestions would be very weclome indeed.

If not, thank yuu for trying anyway!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Greene.jpg

Tricky one Tom!

Only 2 Greenes died from the RDF in the whole war, neither of them J.Greene.

18 RDF soldiers died in the fortnight before or after 06/09/1918 who had a forename starting 'J'. None with a surname vaguely resembling 'Greene'.

No RDF soldiers recorded as dying on  that date.

Where's Craig?

5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Tricky one Tom!

Only 2 Greenes died from the RDF in the whole war, neither of them J.Greene.

18 RDF soldiers died in the fortnight before or after 06/09/1918 who had a forename starting 'J'. None with a surname vaguely resembling 'Greene'.

No RDF soldiers recorded as dying on  that date.

Where's Craig?

I'm here - just about to take a look and see if I can spot anything.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you Dai and Craig. This does not look like ist is going to be an easy one. I had considered, an alias, or a wrongly reported death. Then again it could be something totally different.

Thanks for all your help, I am out of my depth on this one (like the rest I put up here).

Kind regards.

Tom.

Did battalion MG sections exist in 1918 or were all the men under the MGC by that point ? (especially if he'd been in the Bn MG section for a long time I'd have expected he may been moved across).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Wouldn't he be  listed as machine gun Corps? 

I have come across MGSections in Infantry Regiments before.

Kind regards.

Tom.