museumtom

From the 1911 Census:

Name: Archibald Crapp
Age in 1911: 29
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Cork, Ireland
Civil Parish: Yeovil
Search Photos: Search for 'Yeovil' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Somerset
Street address: Crown Inn, 39 Huish, Yeovil, Somerset
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Yeovil
Registration District Number: 309
Sub-registration district: Yeovil
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Household schedule number: 27
Piece: 14410
Household Members:
Name Age
John Crapp 63
Mary Crapp 60
Archibald Crapp 29
Ivy Crapp

2 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

That's that idea binned then!! ;)

It was a Crapp idea in the first place.

Must have been a terrific burden to go through life with a name like Archibald...

I really think it is him Dai! Still digging.

Right age.

Born in Ireland.

Lived in Somerset.

Certainly ticks a lot of boxes.

Where does the Dellamere and the Colman come in I wonder?

Edit: Not his mother's maiden name I don't think (possibly Mary White-married John Martyn Crapp in Yeovil , December Qtr.1874).

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Crapp, Dellamere, Colman (CWGC), Coleman (SDGW) take your pick.  

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It was a Crapp idea in the first place.

Must have been a terrific burden to go through life with a name like Archibald...

:(

I'll walk away quietly. ;)

It's still possibly an alias though! :)

Pretty much, I still think Dellamere is Crapp!

Dai, I dont have Ancestry but if that is his MIC it shows he is listed as Coleman, Sgt, RDF, which agrees with him using at least one alias. Dellamere is unfindable anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Dai, I dont have Ancestry but if that is his MIC it shows he is listed as Coleman, Sgt, RDF, which agrees with him using at least one alias. Dellamere is unfindable anywhere else.

Yes Tom.

Arthur Coleman.        R D Fus    Sjt   26536

Victory Medal & War Medal

So, Arthur Coleman = Archibald Crapp.

Dellamere is still a mystery though.

Thank you for your help Paul and Dai. Its a very very interesting journey indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I could imagine getting away with 1 alias but 2 ? That would only work if he'd been discharged and then re-joined the army at a later date (in to the Dublins). If we can tie down a death and a gratuity it should be relatively easy to get the rest of the story from there.

Delamere's card doesn't have mention of the Dublins on it so it could indicate that any later service was unknown

Craig

11 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

If we can tie down a death and a gratuity it should be relatively easy to get the rest of the story from there.

Do A(rchibald) O. Crapp or Arthur Coleman appear in the Soldiers' Effects Craig with a death date of 19/10/1916?

Edit: Scrub that request Craig. I see wandererpaul has found him under Dellamere!!

This one really takes a beating.

What does it say?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Arthur Colman

alias Archibald Oliver Crapp

alias "J" Delamere

10th Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers Serjeant 10/26536

Date/Place Death: 19/10/16 Wounds France

I'll leave the gratuity details to Craig but a payment was made to a Mary Crapp also another person, but cannot decipher it. I can't load the piece as I'm not allowed to. :(

Edited by wandererpaul

Well Lads, that was an enigma wrapped up in a mystery wrapped up in and alias wrapped up in another alias. A brilliant piece of detective work, well done to all and thank you for your persistence. It would not have been possible with it.

I am very much in your debt.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

FMP has a hospital record too

A COLEMAN - 26536 - was sent to 44 CCS FRANCE - report for 22 October 1916 says he died on 19/10/1916 of GSW. Buried in the Military Cemetary Puchevillers (Puchevillers isn't easy to read on the sheet as it's damaged)

Edited by wandererpaul

Excellent find Paul, well done, and thank you!

Kind regards.

Tom.

42 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

Arthur Colman

alias Archibald Oliver Crapp

alias "J" Delamere

10th Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers Serjeant 10/26536

Date/Place Death: 19/10/16 Wounds France

I'll leave the gratuity details to Craig but a payment was made to a Mary Crapp also another person, but cannot decipher it. I can't load the piece as I'm not allowed to. :(

The gratuity is interesting as a Sgt the minimum (gross) payment is £8. For a man dying before late 1918 it would be usual to see the amount being paid net of the Service Gratuity of (in this case) £2 - this would leave a £6 net payment (as shown on the records). This would indicate 12 months or less service.

#1691 APC was allocated 12 Aug 14 and #1770 APC on 7 Aug 14 for a short service 1 yr special enlistment or D.of W. if longer) so I'd have expected him to have enlisted around then and not be a pre-war enlistment. This would give service of a maximum of 27 qualifying months service at time of death.

We know his first period of service lasted at least  from Aug 14 to April 15 (when posted to France) - 9 months minimum.

#26571 was allocated to the RDF on 28 Mar 196 and we known he died on 19 Oct 16 so he had 7 months minimum in his second period.

His war gratuity certainly wasn't paid in respect of his whole period of service.  Hard to say why without more info but they clearly knew his alias at some point so it's odd they didn't link the periods - At this stage I'd put my money on him having deserted and later re-joined under the different name.

Craig

Just to add his initial effects balance from April 1918 had been unclaimed and put on the unclaimed effects list.

His war gratuity was paid to Mary Crapp, his mother.

Craig

Good man Craig, it will take me a bit of time to digest all that, lots of info there.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Tom

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Good man Craig, it will take me a bit of time to digest all that, lots of info there.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Tom

I think this is possibly him in 1891
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252