Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

So Patrick Dooley was last seen alive in London in August 1916 when he bought a railway ticket from Euston to presumably Holyhead?

But it's not known that he ever made that journey?

What is the card that you posted Tom? is it an Probate Index card? I can't find him in the Probate registry (London) for 1916.

And no civilian deaths listed for Patrick Dooley until 1918 (age 44, Pontypridd - so not him).

What is the date and source of the newspaper cuttings?

Thank you Dai.

Newspaper clippings are 04/05/1918, The Irish Independent.  The card is a Probate card for Tuam. The date at that time (and still now ) was unknown. Its not looking good, but fingers crossed! Imagine solving a 100 year old riddle, now that would be something.

Kind regards.

Tom

So he was presumed dead after going missing - either dying en-route or decided to disappear and never go back.

This one might be an unsolvable one.

Craig

There is a lot in what you say Craig, some of these lads just cannot be found, thanks for trying anyway old man!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just when you think you covered all the angles, you try and see if he had in fact survived the war and we have;-

Dooley.PNG

Well well well!!

Where do you find these cases Tom?

I'm no expert on Irish Geography, but Woodlawn and Grannagh are both in Co.Galway but about (without consulting any internet references at all, honest!) 20.1 miles away.

I wonder what the story  is.

The Ballinasloe Mental Hospital would fit into a disappearance story  very nicely.

If it is indeed him..... how did his parents explain the premature probate away?

I wonder if there are surviving hospital admission records that would give a date for admission/

I suspect though there's probably something like a 100 year rule governing their release though.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Beats me Dai, I'd say there is a great story in there somewhere, and do you know something? my Uncle used to work in the Ballinasloe Mental Hospital. He died long ago otherwise he would be a zillion years old!

Kind regards. 

Tom

Where do I find them? mostly in the regional and local papers, just snippets with vague information, tantalising the ould brain. This lad above I found in the probates from 1914 to 1920, I am presently going through. Its surprising the amount of missing lads are in there that need a bit of tweaking to find their story and then add them. Otherwise they would be forgotten and that would be a crime.

Kind regards.

Tom.

5 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Otherwise they would be forgotten and that would be a crime.

As would be claiming probate on the estate of someone who wasn't yet dead:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Just when you think you covered all the angles, you try and see if he had in fact survived the war and we have;-

Dooley.PNG

I wonder how long after probate it was that they found he was actually alive.

I'm waiting for a reply from CWGC re a man who was declared dead but had actually deserted and (apparently) made a home run from France. He was caught out in 1930 when his co-deserter appeared in a Sunday paper with the story and the Ministry of Pensions checked it out.

Craig

Another mystery man. James Holohan, Pte No 6346, Leinsters, died after discharge (discharged on 22/08/1917, Probate  granted 15/02/1918, no death cert found, discharged to 28 Cavandish Road, Chingford, Essex. age at death 36, enlisted at Birr in 1901. Born in 1881. Son of Mary Holohan, brother of Christopher, John and Catherine, of Main Street, Maryborough, Queen's County. 

Can you throw any light on this please. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

33 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Another mystery man. James Holohan, Pte No 6346, Leinsters, died after discharge (discharged on 22/08/1917, Probate  granted 15/02/1918, no death cert found, discharged to 28 Cavandish Road, Chingford, Essex. age at death 36, enlisted at Birr in 1901. Born in 1881. Son of Mary Holohan, brother of Christopher, John and Catherine, of Main Street, Maryborough, Queen's County. 

Can you throw any light on this please. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom,

Do you suppose he's the James Holohan who died in Bradford district in  the December quarter of 1917?

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

Thats sounds great, any further information please?

Not really Tom,

According to Free BMD, these are the only James Holohan deaths since 1914, he seems the perfect match:

Deaths Dec 1917   (>99%)
Holohan  James  36  Bradford  9b 224  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Jun 1924   (>99%)
Holohan  James W  0  Islington  1b 242  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1927   (>99%)
Holohan  James  42  Tynemouth  10b 381  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Jun 1933   (>99%)
Holohan  James  56  W.Derby  8b 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Dec 1940   (>99%)
Holohan  James E  47  Essex S.W.  4a 504  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Dec 1943   (>99%)
Holohan  James  77  Barnet  3a 1301  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1944   (>99%)
Holohan  James  57  Don Valley  9c 892  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1952   (>99%)
HOLOHAN  James  60  Huddersfield  2b 792  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Sep 1959   (>99%)
HOLOHAN  James  54  Farnworth  10c 136  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Sep 1960   (>99%)
HOLOHAN  James  45  Swansea  8b 630  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Sep 1966   (>99%)
HOLOHAN  JAMES  56  NEWMARKET  4B 986  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Surname  First name(s)  DoB  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Jun 1971   (>99%)
HOLOHAN  James  26My1906  Luton  4a 387  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Jun 1973   (>99%)
HOLOHAN  JAMES LAWRENCE  9JA1924  BARNET  5A 190  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/409378/CLARKE, A E

i would appreciate some help with this soldier please lads and lassies. Albert Edmond Clarke,1405, King Edward's Horse, DOW at home 15/03/1919. I have SDGW and the CWGC, I wondered if soldiers effects would give a next if kin or address please?

Thanking you very much in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/409378/CLARKE, A E

i would appreciate some help with this soldier please lads and lassies. Albert Edmond Clarke,1405, King Edward's Horse, DOW at home 15/03/1919. I have SDGW and the CWGC, I wondered if soldiers effects would give a next if kin or address please?

Thanking you very much in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Effects record

Capture.JPG

Craig

That's great, lads, all the information I could need. Where would I be without you guys?

As usual your help is, and always was, very much appreciated indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The deaths index indicates that he was aged 31  (if his death is recorded as A E Clarke)

The death location Dartford Kent may indicate that he died in a military hospital

CLARKE.JPG

Regards Ray