Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers of British P.1907 bayonets surviving

JMB1943

Phil,

Thanks for posting that interesting video.

Are any of your rifle/ bayonet numbers  matching?

I would appreciate it if you would list the bayonet numbers.

Regards,

JMB

JMB1943

I would agree, this new one is a little hard to read but could be 7948.

Looks a nice bayonet and scabbard and a little clean should clear up the number.

Which ever number it is, will be a new one for the list.

New numbers are hard to come by at the moment but the search has not stopped.

Cheers,

TR

Steve,

You can see that we have two very different numbers read out from your photo.

When you get the chance, could you chalk the numerals to give us a better shot at it?

Regards,

JMB

Sorry JMB1943, may be 6-8 weeks before I get home, but when I do, will get good clear photo’s without chalk for you guys. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Steve1871 said:

Sorry JMB1943, may be 6-8 weeks before I get home, but when I do, will get good clear photo’s without chalk for you guys. Thanks again

Thanks Steve, no rush.

Stay safe on the highways….

Regards,

JMB

Thanks JMB

here are 2 more I found on web, 

E69506D4-2B52-4BD5-B0CC-1667633A0900.png

5E5F698C-7264-49B9-8189-7377ECADDCDD.png

What do I look for on a Siamese scabbard? How it differ from regular? Just markings??

Steve1871,

If you check out page 8 of this post you will see what to look for in the original rare leather Siamese marked scabbard, good luck in finding one tho.

The replacement all metal scabbards do not appear to be marked.

The two above bayonets, No 2278 is already on the list and the second one 2902 is also on the list but is a bit suspect as to being genuine.

Cheers,

TR

No matter how long I collect bayonets ( along with other stuff) I will always be a Newbe, beginner, It makes things interesting in that the new area is just that, NEW part of collecting, the wonderful treasure hunt

Thanks

Steve

Hey JMB, sorry, but I do not understand how to read these tables ( serials) that you are compiling, help please.  
thanks. steve

Hello Steve,

The Table on p.10 is a numerical listing, from lowest to highest, arranged into 5 major columns for convenience.

The odd-looking column at the right hand side (808x, xx1 etc) is of those Bayonets where some of the numerals (indicated by x) are unknown.There was a formatting problem when I did a cut & paste, that resulted in those numbers being misaligned.

If you are ever lucky enough to see an original leather scabbard, it will have the Smiling Tiger head stamped into the leather close to the seam, near the top metal fitting (the locket). The scabbards are not numbered.

Good Luck with the hunt!

Regards,

JMB

7 hours ago, t.ryan said:

Steve1871,

If you check out page 8 of this post you will see what to look for in the original rare leather Siamese marked scabbard, good luck in finding one tho.

The replacement all metal scabbards do not appear to be marked.

The two above bayonets, No 2278 is already on the list and the second one 2902 is also on the list but is a bit suspect as to being genuine.

Cheers,

TR

TR,

Thanks for the reminder about 2902; if I have not already removed from my current listing, it will very soon become persona non grata.

Regards,

JMB

• 1 month later...

Hi guys , here are all my tigers to date . Got extremely lucky and picked up one with its original leather scabbard in the last photo . Yes I’m an addict . I’ll translate the numbers and post them soon 

cheers Phil 

86A43AE8-6DB1-4A3D-86FA-4626C9A5A7A5.jpeg

60CF8428-FC31-4FAF-8D45-EE96A97AED7A.jpeg

9B1CE897-EA72-4664-B319-06554412E4F8.png

Phil B

So that is were they have all gone!. Good collection and very lucky to get the original leather scabbard. When you tidy it up a little, it will be interesting to see if anyone has the matching bayonet for it. Looks like 4720 with a very clear smiling tiger head and a very close number to your first photo No. 472?.

Cheers,

TR

Edited by t.ryan
Add extra info.

On 02/09/2022 at 08:22, JMB1943 said:

Hello Steve,

The scabbards are not numbered.

Regards,

JMB

Oh, really?.........

15 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

Phil B

So that is were they have all gone!. Good collection and very lucky to get the original leather scabbard. When you tidy it up a little, it will be interesting to see if anyone has the matching bayonet for it. Looks like 4720 with a very clear smiling tiger head and a very close number to your first photo No. 472?.

Cheers,

TR

The numbers match 5720 on both 

Phil B

WOW, If they are matching then it is probably only the second matching set shown so far. Bayonet and scabbard No 6 being the other matching numbers from earlier on in this forum.

JMB's, post to Steve fell just in the wrong spot, just as we were talking about the original leather numbered scabbards.

Cheers.

TR

13 hours ago, Phil B said:

The numbers match 5720 on both 

No, scabbard is 4720 by my reading!

Bayonet is 472unknown from photo shown.

Regards,

JMB

Phil,

Can you post the (arabic) numbers from all of your Smiling Tigers, just to ensure that we have them all?

Regards,

JMB

Hi Phil,

Any chance we could get a close up shot of each individual smiling tiger face and number. From what I can see from your last photo the one that you have marked as 4045 could actually 8089, some of the other ones are just to hard to to make out from the photo.

Some of the numbers are hard, these couple of photos show the 5 and the four up a little better 5044 & 5405

Cheers,

TR

S5044.jpg

S5405.jpg

Earlier I said that bayonet and scabbard number 6 was the only matching set to show up so far on this forum, my mistake as it is bayonet and scabbard number 1 shown very early on in this forum that is the matching set, a very fancy set at that.

Cheers,

TR

A little edit to the numbers. I was able to talk to a Native speaker who translated the bayonets .

9233 ๙๒๓๓

Enter

ศุภณัฏฐ์

9385 ๙๓๘๕

Enter

ศุภณัฏฐ์

5725 ๕๗๒๕

Enter

ศุภณัฏฐ์

9130 ๙๑๓๐

Enter

ศุภณัฏฐ์

8089 ๘๐๘๙

Enter

ศุภณัฏฐ์

_ 070 _ ๐๗๐ first letter is unclear

Enter

ศุภณัฏฐ์
ศุภณัฏฐ์ วงศ์ศิริธร

6275 ๖๒๗๕

On 09/10/2022 at 11:02, t.ryan said:

Hi Phil,

Any chance we could get a close up shot of each individual smiling tiger face and number. From what I can see from your last photo the one that you have marked as 4045 could actually 8089, some of the other ones are just to hard to to make out from the photo.

Some of the numbers are hard, these couple of photos show the 5 and the four up a little better 5044 & 5405

Cheers,

TR

S5044.jpg

S5405.jpg

089935A9-48AA-4280-8BB1-318EB6FA5E57.jpeg

D7A6110A-509B-406D-9FFE-0F105D62D453.jpeg

6F25D1A0-4F26-406C-B300-34F5F0ACB523.jpeg

F5ABB804-EEA2-4E3E-AB95-88D1A53DEF0A.jpeg

C16CEED1-97AF-48B8-98DC-D84971223BB4.jpeg

E8F8988A-520F-4C38-B5BC-65A11DB00911.jpeg

3700ED38-726D-44D6-96EA-3675BB00C593.jpeg

Phil B,

Thanks for updating those. 

Fairly sure that the number on your chromed bayonet is 3070, it is already on JMB's list at that number, we looked at it previously.

All the other's look good to me except the one you numbered 5725, I believe that it is 4724. The number 5 has an extra wiggle on top of the number 4.

I see the numbers as 3070, 9233, 9385, 7600, 4724, 9130, & 8089. We will see how JMB calls them when he checks them out.

If so 4724 and 8089 should be a couple of new ones for JMB,s list.

Is your numbered leather scabbard one you acquired locally.

Cheers

TR

57 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

Phil B,

Thanks for updating those. 

Fairly sure that the number on your chromed bayonet is 3070, it is already on JMB's list at that number, we looked at it previously.

All the other's look good to me except the one you numbered 5725, I believe that it is 4724. The number 5 has an extra wiggle on top of the number 4.

I see the numbers as 3070, 9233, 9385, 7600, 4724, 9130, & 8089. We will see how JMB calls them when he checks them out.

If so 4724 and 8089 should be a couple of new ones for JMB,s list.

Is your numbered leather scabbard one you acquired locally.

Cheers

TR

just got the story from the guy I bought it off, his mate  purchased 30 years ago in Melbourne Victoria Australia for $20 , apparently there were rifles and bayonets the plenty on a table