Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers of British P.1907 bayonets surviving

JMB1943

TR,

Thanks indeed for #6819!

Not quite as nice as #9459, but very welcome nonetheless.

Regards,

JMB

For anyone who may want, expensive, but eBay today has 4 kitty cats going on

AEE37FF5-A584-4EBF-BB0D-33DDD0697467.png

B9588D83-3A7B-4028-AD6A-B7F8851C34C5.png

E4861E00-CC29-4352-A5C0-A5B1542556D3.png

759054CC-7ADB-4142-8613-5F9ADB797EFB.png

Steve,

Yes, I think that prices for all Bayonets in general, and these Smiling Tigers in particular, have become ridiculous.

Wishing a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Stay safe on the highways!

Regards,

JMB

Thank’s JMB

Hope you put down a few pints of the best while enjoying your passion, collecting and study, along with a Wonderful Christmas 

You already had all four of these, serial numbers recorded?

Steve,

Yes, I had already recorded 3 of the these numbers; one number, I chose not to record!

Don’t ask me why.

Regards,

JMB

Curious, do you have that one or more rare, elusive bayonets you never found, still looking for?

25 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Steve,

Yes, I had already recorded 3 of the these numbers; one number, I chose not to record!

Don’t ask me why.

Regards,

JMB

Is the second one down a fake?

I would class it as being to bad for a fake. Rare! as the owner states, yes but only because there is most likely not another one like it, hopefully.

How the owner can call it a "Siam Wild Tiger Bayonet" gets me as that smiling tiger face sure lacks the smile. Scabbard looks ok.

Cheers, and happy new year to all.

TR.

It certainly looks off to me. There definitely are some lines in the wrong place and shape. But the numbers look good. I would like to see it in person however at that price curiosity is overcome. Cheers Phil 

• 2 weeks later...

That is actually number 9903, which JMB already has on the list. New numbers have been a bit quiet of late tho.

Did you see the latest pile of bayonets, mainly 07's on the Southern Cross Militaria site; or when you visited recently, they do not appear to be cheap either.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

Did you see the latest pile of bayonets, mainly 07's on the Southern Cross Militaria site; or when you visited recently, they do not appear to be cheap either.

Out of idle curiosity I’ve just had a browse and I’d say the bayonets are generally 2/3 times what you’d pay in the UK for similar examples. However, I get there are a lot of legal and economic variables involved. Not that bayonets are getting any cheaper in the UK either. 

peregrinvs,

I joined JMBs post on the smiling tiger bayonets in March 2021 just after I had sold my own smiling tiger bayonet, (regret selling it now but since got another one). At that time I thought the $230.00 I sold it for was a very good price, going on other sales of similar smiling tiger bayonets. Now we see here that one has sold for $599.99 and there is another one for sale for $600.00 and a few others have sold for around $400.00. The prices have sky rocketed.

With the standard British and Australian 07 bayonets the same thing is happening. There is a well known dealer at Redbank in Brisbane that you can still pick up the odd British WW1 bayonet for about $275.00 and WW2 Aussie OA (Orange) bayonets for about an extra $50.00. WW1 Aussie Lithgow bayonets are somewhat dearer.

There are several other dealers advertising 07 bayonets here and their starting prices are $395.00+. 

The bayonet prices are getting out of control and out of my reach but people are still bidding on them. My own theory is that because of COVID we had to stay at home, watch eBay for a bargain and then bid more money than usual on it to get a new piece for the collection and as we see; it only takes two to want the same thing to make the price rocket which in turn sets a new selling starting price on eBay.

On the other hand, anyone who has a small collection of bayonets, the collection has probably doubled in its worth in the last couple of years.

My 2 bobs worth,

Cheer.

1 hour ago, t.ryan said:

peregrinvs,

I joined JMBs post on the smiling tiger bayonets in March 2021 just after I had sold my own smiling tiger bayonet, (regret selling it now but since got another one). At that time I thought the $230.00 I sold it for was a very good price, going on other sales of similar smiling tiger bayonets. Now we see here that one has sold for $599.99 and there is another one for sale for $600.00 and a few others have sold for around $400.00. The prices have sky rocketed.

With the standard British and Australian 07 bayonets the same thing is happening. There is a well known dealer at Redbank in Brisbane that you can still pick up the odd British WW1 bayonet for about $275.00 and WW2 Aussie OA (Orange) bayonets for about an extra $50.00. WW1 Aussie Lithgow bayonets are somewhat dearer.

There are several other dealers advertising 07 bayonets here and their starting prices are $395.00+. 

The bayonet prices are getting out of control and out of my reach but people are still bidding on them. My own theory is that because of COVID we had to stay at home, watch eBay for a bargain and then bid more money than usual on it to get a new piece for the collection and as we see; it only takes two to want the same thing to make the price rocket which in turn sets a new selling starting price on eBay.

On the other hand, anyone who has a small collection of bayonets, the collection has probably doubled in its worth in the last couple of years.

My 2 bobs worth,

Cheer.

I don’t think this trend is limited to bayonets tbh, militaria for whatever reason - seems to be on the up - definitely over the last couple of years, there are a couple of things I have bought that have seen similar on sale just a few months later for 1/3rd to 1/2 more than I paid. 
That being said I have also seen expensive stuff hanging around at a couple of dealers not moving for months 

@Phil B this one popped up on the Lee Enfield group on face ache today - number 9903 I think? Don’t know if it’s on the list or not

edit: I see Phil already posted it sorry!

will keep my eyes peeled though still!

C5076827-B1EB-4682-9A9C-27AB4EBFCDF9.jpeg.96f61a28375628aacb5a4c657d594a8d.jpeg

Edited by MrEd

12 minutes ago, MrEd said:

@Phil B this one popped up on the Lee Enfield group on face ache today - number 9903 I think? Don’t know if it’s on the list or not

edit: I see Phil already posted it sorry!

will keep my eyes peeled though still!

C5076827-B1EB-4682-9A9C-27AB4EBFCDF9.jpeg.96f61a28375628aacb5a4c657d594a8d.jpeg

I asked him about his 410 Siamese conversion. Interested in what his bolt and action numbers are . From what I’m learning from my research, there are still a lot of bayonets and Rifles still in Thailand today

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

I asked him about his 410 Siamese conversion. Interested in what his bolt and action numbers are . From what I’m learning from my research, there are still a lot of bayonets and Rifles still in Thailand today

Hello Phil,

Would you care to elaborate on,

1) how you have found these rifles & bayonet s in Siam

and

2) how many is “a lot” of each.

Regards,

JMB

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Hello Phil,

Would you care to elaborate on,

1) how you have found these rifles & bayonet s in Siam

and

2) how many is “a lot” of each.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB 

I will give you more information in the future. I just need to finish off my next YouTube video on it. But I can tell you that there is a plausible explanation for that funny bayonet that you rightly kept off the registry. Until then I will keep hunting them I’m Australia 

JMB,

I believe this smiling tiger is number 6249 with ? on the 9 and may be a new one for the list. The photo got misplaced and only found it again last night.

You have number 6245 listed which I do not have photo of, so not sure if we may be looking at the same number but called it wrong earlier on.

Another earlier one which I think may have been called wrong is what I believe now to be number 541 and at the moment is listed as number 941.

What are your thoughts on these 2 numbers.

I think I have a photo of at least 130  of the numbers now with only a couple of iffy numbers.

Phil B,

I mentioned earlier in this post about an Lee Enfield dealer/collector mate from up your way that went to Thailand looking for 1920 Siamese Contract bayonets in 1991 and he said at that time they were very rare/scarce and if available worth $100 and at the same time selling for a lot less here. 

They may have recently found a stash of them in an old armoury so it will be interesting to see what shows up in your chase.

Cheers,

TR

S6249.jpg

S941.jpg

TR,

Thanks for trying to keep me honest here!

Certainly 6249 and incorrectly listed by me as 6245. I have two separate lists, the first of which is that of the numbers as they come in; the second is the published registry here on the thread. It can be something of a problem when apparently close numbers (6245/6249) are confused, because when a fair number of serials have been registered it is quite possible to have closely related real numbers. Found that 6245 is absent from my first list, so 6249 is true.

I would still tend to number the second one as 941, but would not bet my first-born's life on it.

I would like to hear other opinions on this one.

Phil B,

Looking back to p. 14 of this thread, I find that I did actually list the "funny one" at 2902, but unless you can convince me otherwise I shall delete that next time I update the registry (yes, I like that term).

Regards,

JMB

Just checked it out, like most military stuff coming on the market now, it is a little bit expensive but I don't think the SSAA charges as much as the bay in fees.

Looks a reasonable outfit and the bayonet looks nice. Do the rifle and bayonet numbers match; that would sweeten the deal.

I spun the photo around so as to read it clearly and you can still see some of its earlier markings.

Bayonet looks like smiling tiger number 6339 and I believe it will be a new one for JMBs list.

Cheers,

TR.

S6339.jpg

10 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

Just checked it out, like most military stuff coming on the market now, it is a little bit expensive but I don't think the SSAA charges as much as the bay in fees.

Looks a reasonable outfit and the bayonet looks nice. Do the rifle and bayonet numbers match; that would sweeten the deal.

I spun the photo around so as to read it clearly and you can still see some of its earlier markings.

Bayonet looks like smiling tiger number 6339 and I believe it will be a new one for JMBs list.

Cheers,

TR.

S6339.jpg

I don’t it , I’ve got one rifle that is out by 3 numbers from the bolt and action 

This one just posted on a collector site. I believe in the UK . I’ll personally be going on safari next month *** who am I kidding , I’m always looking . Year of the Tiger ends on Saturday 21st . 
cheers Phil 

D9C066B6-1A92-4E95-91F8-CA757A16E652.png

Number 5154 looks like another new smiling tiger for JMBs list.

That is a couple of new ones you have come across in a few days, if they both check out ok with JMB.

Slowly but surly the list is getting closer to the 200 mark.

Cheers