Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers of British P.1907 bayonets surviving

JMB1943

Phil B,

That is a good clear smiling tiger number 2590 and looks to be another new number for JMBs list. 

Three new ones today, they just keep on showing up and making that 200 tally a little closer. 2 of these are Aussie owned ones and one on OS site.

Sorry for the misprint "S" at the front of smiling tiger number 5221 on the above photo.

A bit more homework for you to check out JMB.

Cheers,

TR.

Never a moment's peace here!!!!

Yes indeed, three new kittens are now listed; we are currently at 191 by my count, so keep 'em coming.

Regards,

JMB

And here’s another new one to add to the list 6BA5EBDA-5DA1-4009-9643-02B4BA97EB0E.png.83926b612c2071c316f2d15fa79b092b.pngfrom this side of the pond,…..https://www.jdrmilitaria.co.uk/product/siamese-type-62-converted-1907-smle-bayonet-wild-tiger-corps/

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Yes, smiling tiger number 9372 looks to be a new one for the list. I just checked the photos of this one out and it looks in better condition then a lot of them are in.

The litter is growing this week.

Cheers,

TR.

Certainly, no peace for the wicked (as my Dad said, more than once).

New one it is!

Regards,

JMB

15 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Certainly, no peace for the wicked (as my Dad said, more than once).

New one it is!

Regards,

JMB

Hey JMB , is it possible to add the current country code of location to the registry? For example UK, AUS,UK,ect as it might shed some light is there is a pattern of serial numbers 

cheers Phil 

Hello Phil,

Not really, for the following two reasons,

1) It is known from earlier posts on the thread, that all of the Siamese Tiger Bayonets were imported into Australia,

and

2) It is apparent from the earliest threads through to the present, that very few were derived from UK / USA and the vast majority have been reported from Oz.

So there really is no pattern of serials relating to a particular country.

Regards,

JMB

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Hello Phil,

Not really, for the following two reasons,

1) It is known from earlier posts on the thread, that all of the Siamese Tiger Bayonets were imported into Australia,

and

2) It is apparent from the earliest threads through to the present, that very few were derived from UK / USA and the vast majority have been reported from Oz.

So there really is no pattern of serials relating to a particular country.

Regards,

JMB

Well I have no idea on any intermediate source, but Siamese rifles were imported into the US by Springfield Sporters of Pen Runn PA and I have one and seen several that were tagged as such. I bought one direct from them in the 1990s and one in 200? from a second party that still had the Sp Sporters tag on it.

All of my Tiger bayonets were purchased in the US from US sellers (starting in the 90s) It's entirely possible that they came into the US from Australia of course, but do we really know that they were ALL sent to Australia in one batch? (I will now go an check thread)

Chris

2 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Well I have no idea on any intermediate source, but Siamese rifles were imported into the US by Springfield Sporters of Pen Runn PA and I have one and seen several that were tagged as such. I bought one direct from them in the 1990s and one in 200? from a second party that still had the Sp Sporters tag on it.

All of my Tiger bayonets were purchased in the US from US sellers (starting in the 90s) It's entirely possible that they came into the US from Australia of course, but do we really know that they were ALL sent to Australia in one batch? (I will now go an check thread)

Chris

Hi Chris as in the video I did last year I know as fact there were drops done in Australia,New Zealand Europe and into North America as late as the 1980s and I would have thought the same would be true of the bayonets. 
cheers Phil 

In the 70s and early 80s some of the Australian arms importers were bankrolled from the USA. They bought bulk surplus material from various counties in South-East Asia and imported it into Australia. A lot of this was then "sold" to their USA friends and exported to the USA. This provided a mechanism to work around USA State Department restrictions on USA citizens trading with foreign governments without being subject to an extremely bureaucratic approval process. 

The USA process at the time was intended to control trade in modern military supplies, in practice it was chocking the collector and hobby shooter markets in obsolete material as by-kill. Various Australian Government and USA Government departments were fully aware of what was happening and were generally completely uninterested.

Chris,

You are right to question whether ALL of the bayonets had gone to Australia.

I gave my answer from memory, and my memory was faulty on this. Have just re-watched Phil's video, and he does indeed mention that they went, in several consignments, to Australia / NZ / USA / Europe at different times.

Even so, a scan of the numbers and location where recorded shows no pattern that I can discern.

For instance, Worth Point.com located in Atlanta, USA gives 13 numbers, HIGH = 9931 ; LOW = 330; Above 5000 = 8; Below 5000 = 5.

Regards,

JMB

Phil,

Thanks for that.

What do we think----145?

EDIT: Sorry not new , already reported on GWF Dec 15, 2022 by "Old Man in Closet".

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

PhilB,

You have  a good thing going with Facebook there!

Nos. 1635 & 2247 duly recorded.

Many thanks.

Regards,

JMB

I missed one at a good price the other day but was able to Aquire 2 others (already on the register) and 2 metal scabbards . I’m in the process of researching a non destructive method of bringing up the maker marks . The acid method isn’t my first choice but the magnetic one intrigues me. 

JMB.

This is another one I came across from over your way, smiling cat number 9070, and it does not appear to be on the list so far.

The second one is also from your side, and it is a feral cat for sure but I think the number could be 1677, and another new number. What's your thoughts ??.

Phil B, your collection of smiling tiger bayonets must be starting to add up now. I will check out the Bathurst Gun Show for any new ones on my way south in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

TR

S9070.jpg

S1677.jpg

5 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

JMB.

This is another one I came across from over your way, smiling cat number 9070, and it does not appear to be on the list so far.

The second one is also from your side, and it is a feral cat for sure but I think the number could be 1677, and another new number. What's your thoughts ??.

Phil B, your collection of smiling tiger bayonets must be starting to add up now. I will check out the Bathurst Gun Show for any new ones on my way south in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

TR

S9070.jpg

S1677.jpg

11 kittens at last count 

Mr TR,

Certainly 9070 is on the money.

I would characterize the second as 16xx, where xx = 33, 37, 73 or 77.

Need a much better photo to make that a definitive entry.

Regards,

JMB

Phil B,

I recorded 9903 on 10/15/22, so not a new one.

Bur we do now have 195 complete & partial serials in the list, so just 5 more for the double century.

Regards,

JMB

JMB

Number 16?? is a hard one but what I based 1677 on is that if you look at the number 3 the tail protrudes much lower where as the bottom of the number 7 is level and the tail flicks back up and that is what my observation of the last two numbers appear to do. Good photos make would make things so much easier.

Good to see the 200th surviving smiling tiger will pop up soon. 

Cheers,

TR

JMB

A couple more numbers to check out and add to the list if appropriate.

Smiling tiger number number 8751 looks reasonably correct and does not appear to be on the list so far.

Smiling tiger number ?97 does not appear on the list either. I have a good clear photo of number 997 which is on the list and is a different bayonet.

There are no other part numbers on the list that end in 97 so I would think this is a new number what ever that first number is; maybe a 4 ?.. I do not think that there is another number after the 7.

The smiling tiger claws are now out scratching at that 200th.

Cheers,

TR

S8751.jpg

S497.jpg

Edited by t.ryan
Photo problem

Mr TR,

Thanks for these two ; certainly 8751 (#196), but what about the second one?

Best guess = x9x

Second best = x97

Third best = 4/5 97

I'm inclined to enter this as x9x (#197), unless viewers can convince me otherwise.

For me, the total of serial numbers is more important than the individual serials themselves.

Regards,

JMB