Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

3 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

I snapped this one up thinking, with the flaming grenades and the Mills Orndorff Equipment that it was Grenadier Guards. Once scanned it it becomes clear with the short two letter title,cap badge and Brodrick style that they are most likely Royal Fusiliers c1904.   They are clearly marching at ease, the mounted officer has a cigar on the go, and even a couple of ORs behind him are smoking. Interesting to see the signalers up front. The Sjt Major and another officer marching are also visible . 

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:
3 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

I

Definitely Royal Fusiliers, Toby, I can see the distinctive pointed top to their grenade cap badge quite clearly.

Super! Thank you for confirming.  There is lots to see!

Edited by Toby Brayley

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

Super! Thank you for confirming.  There is lots to see!

Yes, it’s a great snapshot in time.  I think that the officer marching with the Sergeant Major is the signals officer, who appears to have a flag tucked under his left arm. 

Superb Cabinet Card of a Colour Serjeant of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders . Note the rather angry (unfortunate)  looking badger on his sporran! The badges have been pictured multiple times in this topic, but I thought him too good not to share. 

1212926811_AGSHColoursjt1.jpg.78a4401b81f7c3747e31c2547273f66b.jpg

2125209618_AGSHColoursjt2.jpg.7d2e67d5d2920339757cda83e2db65f1.jpg

AGSH Colour sjt 3.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Bit of an oddity this one.  

Royal Artillery (collar badges and cannon buttons) in India, in a style of frock often seen in India but he has embroidered shoulder straps that say ?AST??? 

RA India embroidered frock.jpg

East Yorkshire Artillery Volunteer Corps (1959-1908), Toby.  They were coastal artillery and so manned forts watching out to sea there.  A similar Norfolk style jacket was adopted by artillery officers for a period. With its easy access pockets it was an early form of field/combat jacket.  It was a type of frock for the men of course and dates to the late 1880s.  In full dress a 9-button tunic with red facings and cord loops was worn, with officers lace, and all ranks helmet furniture, in silver.

0988239A-B2ED-4707-963D-CEA5B96A85B9.jpeg

EF3BCD4E-6F39-4DB7-B1DC-D67C926DB160.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

This shows the officers' pattern of the Norfolk style patrol jacket.  The photo was probably taken in barracks and then using a photoshop style process the officers and the gun cut out and overlaid on an artwork depicting field conditions.

23-Officers-of-77th-Field-Battery.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you both, that would certainly fit with the title, but usually there is a V on the odd Artilerry styles. What has misled me is  that location on the card is India (not that means much!) and he has a CG chevron, not usually associated with the VF.  

IMG_20200313_221225.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

36 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Thank you both, that would certainly fit with the title, but usually there is a V on the odd Artilerry styles. What has misled me is  that location on the card is India (not that means much!) and he has a CG chevron, not usually associated with the VF.  

Well the India mark is incontrovertible, which begs the question....

You also make a good point about the absence of a ‘V’.  The first four letters on the shoulder strap definitely spell out EAST, but then follow on with more letters.  Might it be EASTERN in a curve?  We need to establish the nomenclature of the artillery divisions in India at that time.

Any idea re. the date? Chevron suggests post 1881 which would agree well with jacket/ frock style. Of course we cannot be certain of jacket colour. And could grenade be RE. More questions than answers.

The stick, rather than whip, suggests foot duty. Haircut looks late 1890s.

Edited by Muerrisch

9 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Any idea re. the date? Chevron suggests post 1881 which would agree well with jacket/ frock style. Of course we cannot be certain of jacket colour. And could grenade be RE. More questions than answers.

The stick, rather than whip, suggests foot duty. Haircut looks late 1890s.

The RE did not adopt the grenade collar badge for ORs and arm badge for SNCOs until 1881 (although RE officers had a bullion grenade identical to RA). So, with the grenade we see here and the typically framed collar with piping, I definitely think it’s RA and that style of frock is dark blue.  I think he’s garrison or mountain artillery, both dismounted corps, that both had units in India.  I’d guesstimate a date around 1888.

No. 3 Eastern Division RGA

2nd Battery - Delhi
4th Battery - Kirkee
7th Battery - Rawalpindi 
9th Battery - Ferozepore

https://usacac.army.mil/sites/default/files/documents/carl/nafziger/888CAD.pdf

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile: thank you for doing the hard yards ........ and Toby for putting up such a difficult enigma.

Case provisionally closed!

Superb, thank you all again. I would agree that it says Eastern. This one can certainly go into my rarest of cards. 

Unsent postcard, 1st Volunteer Battalion DCLI c1907.  CORNWALL 1 V , crossed rifles, lozenge and efficiency star.

1165791383_1vCornwall1.jpg.9c926dc6d380c7fe36df6546eb1868cb.jpg

736878480_1vCornwall2.jpg.4382fbed23aed522bc8fa4f44970ac3a.jpg

19 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Unsent postcard, 1st Volunteer Battalion DCLI c1907.  CORNWALL 1 V , crossed rifles, lozenge and efficiency star.

Great photo, lovely to see the DCLI Volunteer cap badge so clearly.

Thank you for sharing

Chris 

Edited by Dragoon

They are still wearing the old Rifle Volunteers pattern (black leather) belts with their snake buckles, rather than the 1903 Bandolier equipment that was issued to some other TF units.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Pioneer Sergeant, with crossed axes and flaming grenade, of the Royal Fusiliers wearing his 1st Class Tunic as a form of Mess Dress. The tunic is the post 1902 and pre 1905 variant. 

A very unusual unsent postcard. 

RE Pioneer Mess.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

9 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Pioneer Sergeant, with crossed axes and flaming grenade, of the Royal Fusiliers wearing his 1st Class Tunic as a form of Mess Dress. The tunic is the post 1902 and pre 1905 variant. 

A very unusual unsent postcard. 

RE Pioneer Mess.jpg

Great photograph of the tunic - in fact a lovely Family group photo.
Poor chap looks absolutely shattered after getting no sleep because of the baby!

Shattered after an exceptionally good mess event

The eyes do not, however, look like p1ss-holes in snow.

Mine did more than once. Survivors' breakfast of salmon, scrambled eggs and Buck's Fizz helped.