Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

Pick apart the uniform of this marvelously looking gent please?

tache.jpg

Wow!  5 clasp Egypt medal, thats impressive!  Think 19th Hussars & Black Watch qualified for multiclasp Egypts during the 1884-85 campaign, but I collect RN Bde so not certain on that.

Frogsmile will be along to assist on his uniform ID!

LOVE his moustache, thats impressive also!

Thanks for posting Derek.

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

14 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

tache.jpg

Nice photo!

Love it.

Royal Artillery, Gun layers qualification badge.

Chris

17 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

tache.jpg

Nice photo!

Love it.

Royal Artillery, Gun layers qualification badge. Volunteer I think.

Chris

No he’s a Volunteer RA Corporal.  Bombardiers had only one stripe at that time.   He must be an ex regular to have that medal combination. 

016F5DAF-97B9-4F33-8F75-5FAD0505F36F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

Thanks gents, that was rapid,

Derek.

Each of the efficiency stars on his cuff represent 5-years of attendance at drills.  Later on that was reduced to 4-years, but your man has 15-years efficient service as a volunteer.

Edited by FROGSMILE

are the buttons of an artillery gun?

Edited by Derek Black

4 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

are the buttons of an artillery gun?

Yes, with crown over.  In white metal for volunteers. 

EC0C462A-B6A4-489B-B799-E7A251C49438.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

While we're on the topic of trade badges could someone tell me what this one means?

low-436-IMG~2.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

While we're on the topic of trade badges could someone tell me what this one means?

I think it’s Ground Observer. RGA Siege Companies and Howitzer Batteries.  Trained in flash spotting and sound ranging, etc.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think it’s Ground Observer. MM RGA Siege Companies and Howitzer Batteries.  Trained in flash spotting and sound ranging, etc.

Thank you, been wondering what that was for a while!

1 minute ago, Jools mckenna said:

Thank you, been wondering what that was for a while!

Royal Engineers and Intelligence staff were also involved due to the need for accuracy in ‘fixing’ the locations of enemy batteries ready for counter battery bombardments.

The Observer badge was much later than the L appointment badge of course. One of the Great War period badges arising from need for new expertises: LG, HG, red grenade for bomber, blue grenade for trench mortar and several more.

• 2 weeks later...

British Army Proficiency Badges.

Found 3 mint copies second edition, sold 2 on Badge Forum,  £75 includes postage, first one up gets last copy in captivity.

gone.

Edited by Muerrisch

39 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

British Army Proficiency Badges.

Found 3 mint copies second edition, sold 2 on Badge Forum,  £75 includes postage, first one up gets last copy in captivity.

PM sent.

Quite an unusual unsent Postcard.

Royal Irish Fusiliers enjoying some "Bayonet practice"  Combining all I love about the era, Mk1* Lee Metford rifles,  Brodrick and the cloth RIF shoulder titles. I do not think they have yet graced this thread. 

462987111_RIFBAyonet1.jpg.51645dbdba94339ad2509302622157eb.jpg

Close up of the RIF title.

1991277956_RIFBAyonet3.JPG.b99690f3a9a4576204b718e00c98c651.JPG

Note the sight protector! 

1111446885_RIFBAyonet2.JPG.b68545b0b36460da300b393ec4449a8f.JPG

Edited by Toby Brayley

Those Brodrick caps look really nicely ‘set up’ and it’s the first time that I think I’ve ever seen soldiers looking quite smart wearing them.  Super picture Toby, thank you for posting it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A rather  charming Cabinet Card of a Private of 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) and family c1903. A veteran of South Africa.

6DG Southsea.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Thank you Toby, another super view of the cavalry frock that Winston Churchill referred to as a 'Jumper' in his earliest autobiography, and that replaced the much missed stable jacket as undress.  On the later version, worn just before WW1, a coloured tab (gorgette) was worn on the collar's front (white in the case of 6th DG).

Edited by FROGSMILE

One of my favourites in my collection. A young Bugler from the Rifles affiliated 1st Volunteer Battalion of the East Kent Regiment (the Buffs).
He wears the Brodrick Cap (of Cloth, Green, Rifles), 7 button tunic, with Volunteer cuff detail and the Rifles specific crossed bugles badge.

Buffs Vol Bugler.jpg

Fantastic image Toby, thank you for posting.  It’s quite often forgotten that the VF/TF had Boy entrants, the difference from their regular counterparts being that they could only be engaged in the band and drums/bugles, etc. and did not have domestic artisans.  I can see why it’s one of your favourites.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...
"Frock, White, Cotton."

A recent addition to my collection. Thought you might like!
A very rare original 1890s, white Cotton Frock to a Serjeant signals instructor of the South Staffordshire Regiment c1903 (with the QSA ribbon)
These frocks can very easily be confused with the canvas/duck fatigue rig, except for their much thinner cotton drill construction. According to the 1894 Clothing Regulations, the frocks were issued in certain (but not all) warm climates including; India, The Caribbean, Hong Kong, but excluding Egypt, Malta, Gibraltar and South Africa.
This particular example has all 7 (5 on front 2 on shoulders) of the QVC Crown Buttons (original to the garment) held on with brass rings.
The insignia is loosely attached with brass hook and eyes, frequently seen on the KD and "whites" on Foreign Service, so that the "Dhobi" can easily remove it and clean. It has a double brass hook closure on the collar. Presumably, brass is used to prevent rust during the frequent cleaning these garments would have needed.
The Crimson Sjts Sash is an original 1890s example but not original to the Frock. The crossed flags are also not original to the Frock but fit perfectly with the eyes that are there (I would say its either crossed flags or rifles that were there originally).
Whites1.jpg.98f9d7fa8087b63bab29e56c2179f44e.jpg
Whites2.jpg.507c1faeedd36081110e7b642352d80e.jpg

Whites3.jpg.0b0c8a73e08c9295534d8195dfe23748.jpg
Style in wear with L.I Pioneer Sjt. 
786449797_LISGTFS.jpg.43c2d00ff520e578cdf683036dcf6093.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley