Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

7 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Pre-War Army Service Corps with Brodrick caps.

Named on the back of the card as, - "Devoto,  Orbinski,  McCabe,  Ward,  Mealy"

ASC Pre-war (2).jpg

That’s a superb photo and I’m quite thrilled to see it, because it covers a transitional period for the blue serge frock when it evolved to become what we now think of as the OR version of blue patrols.  The majority in the scene are wearing the earlier version blue frock with 7-buttons and just breast pockets, whereas the Lance Corporal on the left wears the circa 1898 version, with 5-buttons and both, breast and skirt pockets.  The latter were inset for the OR pattern, but patch type for officers.  It’s quite rare to see both types of pocketed OR frock in the same shot.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s a superb photo and I’m quite thrilled to see it, - Thank you for sharing.

I’m glad it’s of interest. I post and learn.  Thank you for sharing your observations. 

• 6 months later...

1st VB Welsh regiment cloth titles on early sd with twisted should straps, 1902-1908, though I think the more normal straps are introduced 1906.  also note the possible slouch hat under the tent on the right.

welsh v1 cdv f crop WM.jpg

welsh v1 cdv f crop v2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jerry B said:

1st VB Welsh regiment cloth titles on early sd with twisted should straps, 1902-1908, though I think the more normal straps are introduced 1906.  also note the possible slouch hat under the tent on the right.

welsh v1 cdv f crop WM.jpg

welsh v1 cdv f crop v2.jpeg

A super image Jerry, thank you for sharing it.  The glass plate process is so amazingly clear that it’s even possible to make out a mug adjacent to the slouch hat inside the tent.   Intriguingly the battalion seems to have favoured whangee type swagger canes that would have had to be imported from the Far East**.  One soldier is rather flamboyantly cascading his pocket watch chain, which he would probably not have got away with in a regular battalion.

** I wonder if the regular overseas battalion assisted with that in some way.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 15:00, Muerrisch said:

Which regiments/ corps other than infantry were officially allowed the sash? Not necessarily the same as those that actually wore the sash [and I believe there are still some rumblings to this day]

Any answers preferably with references and collateral, as I would like to add chapter and verse to my little black book..

I have learned since this was first posted that members of the Army Pay Corps, plus Staff Clerks when in a small, discrete corps of their own, prior to absorption by the Army Service Corps and Army Pay Corps in the 1890s, were authorised for scarlet sashes.  I hope that helps.

I’m afraid that the only ‘references’ are photographs, as the instances of evidential wear predate the introduction of a single manual encompassing clothing regulations for other ranks.  It was during the period when dress details were issued in general orders and administrative instructions.

Edited by FROGSMILE