Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

And one more if I may please guys and gals, an ex-soldier.

Keane    James                11/08/1920    Died at Clonmel Asylum, on 11/08/1920 from softening of the brain 2 years general debility 1 year certified    Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A single man.

Edited by museumtom

Haigney

There is a Dennis Hagney from Bruff Kilmallock less than 10 miles from Cloghadoolarty.

G/769. Royal Irish Fusiliers

SWB for sickness.23/9/15 to 24/8/17.

This man has  British War Medal only.

Pension card says Disabilities are Age and Debility. But no entry on if attributable.

Cannot find another military record with any name approximating to Haigney 

Note there is a court record for a Denis Haigney of Old Town Ryan in 1919 that is just a few miles from Bruff.

Edited by Mark1959

15 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a Dennis Hagney from Bruff Kilmallock

Following this lead ... Medal and Discharge MICs and Pension card at WFA/Fold3

Dennis HAGNEY, G/769, Royal Irish Fusiliers

MIC discharged KR 392 xvi Sickness

The PLIC has his disabilities as: Age and Debility

M

Edited by Matlock1418
amend

Well done Matlock and Mark, great finds, thank you very much indeed. You are super sharp for this time of a Saturday evening! There is very little that gets past you.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Medal roll shows above man was 1st Garrison Bn that left Dublin for India in Feb 1916.

Thank you Mark, that is very helpful, well found.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Denis' Pension card mentions the same place-Fedamore(?)

George

Good morning George, thank you for that. I do not have his card though. Any other information on it regarding nok please?

I’ll send them both when I get to the end of the painting!

George

Painting at this hour of a mornin? Ah you youngsters...

Ok guys and gals, we have spent half a day without success on this lad. Address is Irishtown, Athlone, County Westmeath. John Morris, it may be that he was discharged around 1917 going by his illness duration. Every combination of Census, records etc have not helped. Can you help please?

image.png.8d25402cd706ab55ab01fc8380da64e3.png

Possibly but nothing definite...

image.png.72eb91da12dd6746ff4bb2b1bbdb0ff4.png

This may be the relevant Duffy family in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Arran_Quay/Arbour_Place/52848/

Arbour Place is about 400m from North Brunswick St in Dublin. There is a father Patrick and a brother James. Address, father and witness from marriage certificate.  Not sure where it gets us. Probably nowhere, but just in case it provides a clue to link the two docs together. I cannot seem to find a pension claim from a Margaret Morris that appears relevant

Its a fiurst step Mark, thank you kindly. His father had to be a hair dresser if he is the same lad.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of a mystery here lads and lassies. This soldier is listed in several places as deceased in his records but does not give a date or location. He was discharged in 1919. Can you help please?.

11873, Pte William Byrne, R.A.M.C.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007282764%2F00751&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7282764%2F61%2F751

An Ancestry tree has this

Death

15 Feb 1943 • 137 Dolphin road, Dublin, Ireland

Other family details fit

George

Good man George, thank you kindly for that. I hope your visit to the battlefields is going well?

Yes thanks Tom

Off to Longuenesse Cemetery this morning for a look

George

Sounds fantastic, enjoy!! And don't be worrying about us unfortunates here in the ould forum, sure we will be grand.

Thank you Alan, it certainly looks like the same man.

I was asked by a buddy to look up his ancestor, Michael Connor, he said he was in the R.D.F. during WW1, but try as I might I cannot find anything for him during the war. Can you help please? Address can be Monkstown Farm, or Monkstown Avenue, Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) County Dublin. I can find his pre war service but not his WW1 service. Michael married Elizabeth (Lizzie)Barry, at St Patrick's Church, Monkstown, on 05/10/1910. They are listed in the 1911 Census at Monkstown Farm, with their daughter Teresa. Children-John (Michael is listed as a soldier on John's birth cert) was born at 2 Mary's Cottages, Monkstown Avenue on 29/07/1916, Michael, born 06/04/1914 at Monkstown farm, William Michael, born 22/11/1912 at Monkstown farm, Samuel, born at 2 Mary's Cottages, on
13/07/1920, and Mary Elizabeth (under O'Connor), born 2 Mary's Cottages, on 10/03/1919.

Can you help find his WW1 service please?

One more if I may please lads and lassies. Can you also help with this one please?

William Dobbin, died after discharge at his home, Robertstown, County Kildare, on 17/07/1921 from tuberculosis of lungs and stomach, 5 months haematimesis 1 month certified. His wife, Anna Dobbin, was present at death. Aged 49 years.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Children-John (Michael is listed as a soldier on John's birth cert) was born at 2 Mary's Cottages, Monkstown Avenue on 29/07/1916, Michael, born 06/04/1914 at Monkstown farm, William Michael, born 22/11/1912 at Monkstown farm, Samuel, born at 2 Mary's Cottages, on
13/07/1920, and Mary Elizabeth (under O'Connor), born 2 Mary's Cottages, on 10/03/1919.

WFA/Fold3 have a cards for Pte. M./Michael CONNOR, 35127, Royal Munster Fusiliers, 2 Mary's Cotts, Monkstown - a Military Service (Civil Liabilities) Grant got £50 for Pig Rearing, 1.5.23

Also pension cards with those details - Discharged to Army Z Reserve, 25/3/19. Bronchitis Pulmonary TB [strike is on card]

Looks like his widow, Elizabeth, made a widow's claim in c.1947 - 55 Carringlea Gardens, Dun Loaghaire, Co. Dublin

MIC Royal Dublin Fusiliers 22655, Royal Irish Regiment, 18183, Royal Munster Fusiliers, 35127 

[BTW from MIC - BWM & VM Returned - no sign of reissue - check the Medal Roll - may perhaps still be a chance for someone to claim them]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Stunning Matlock, great find altogether. Thank you kindly.

Good morning all. May I please have your help with this one. He is teetering on being accepted but not at the finish line just yet. Can you help please? Folder3 was helpful but what is really needed is his records to bridge the gap between the time he was discharged in 1915 and when he died in 1921.

Edwards    John    Lance Corporal    King's Royal Rifle Corps    4 Morton Villas, Dunbar Street, Cork, and later (1921) 2 Morton Villas    16/07/1921    Died after discharge at Morton Villas, Needham Place, Cork, from Nephritis 2 months at least certified. Discharged 30/09/1915 being no longer physically fit for war service-Nephritis due to war service.    
Serial No: 4731
Unit: 2nd Battalion
Born: Cork, in 1884

He was put forward to the I.F.CVP. this morning and is on hold. Terry says-'We would need more evidence for this one. His service record would be needed.

Look at the five year gap between discharge and the DC statement of ‘at least two months’. Why was he discharged? Was it due to nephritis?'
Edited by museumtom