Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Sullivan

Is this your man?

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F6018%2F046%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F6018%2F1070732

Also on Fold 3.

In which case 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Ballincollig/Ballincollig_Town/382548/ appears to be the relevant family

and this is his baptiism

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=IRE%2FPRS%2FMICROFILM04791-08%2F0069&parentid=IRE%2FPRS%2FBAP%2F1085983. Father John matching Death Notice

Born 31/10/1876,

He had a brother James born 1879. I think he is 555643 Lab Corps. Though Pension Card gets his DoB wrong by 4 years. 

The family seemed to have been somewhat intemperate. Up before the magistrate many times. His brother Timothy died in 1903 of TB and is also described as a shoemaker

I have looked high and low for WW1 service but cannot find any that is certaiinly him. 

Edited by Mark1959

Good man Mark. I will go through your finds as soon as  get home tomorrow. Thank you very much for finding what you did, it cannot have been easy.

Kind regards.

Tom, socially distancing in Cork somewheres...image.jpeg.c0f8d4c509ba5986b05d7982ea4b68ee.jpeg

Back in the room....now then I need my platoon of sleuths to nail at least one of these lads, neither of whom I can find anywhere, can you help please?

image.png.7eac837c37fdb73af9e9ef3367396868.png

It says 'found on the beach, Mark, having said that it looks like Rinnavella/Rinnabella/Rinevella.

I think it might be Rhinevilla, South of Carrigaholt.

I have found ref to 4 soldiers stationed at Carrigaholt College having drowned from an upturned canoe. Not sure if this is relevant. The first article is on 17/7/20 and has no further details. 

Aha --- it is

carrigaholt2.jpg.e6d0c217c99c6af13e0924212eb41ba9.jpg

Liverpool Daily Post 9/8/20 Courtesy BNA

Still having trouble finding them!!

Edited by Mark1959

On the ball, great find Mark, thank you kindly.  The date would work too as they may have been in the water weeks.

Browne may be James Brown 71979 HLI https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2743428/j-brown/ His DoD is 14/7/20. His Soldiers Effects has 2nd HLI

There are only 5 casualties at the cemetery. 2 others have same DoD

Richard McClintock 76512 2nd HLI

H McIlroy 74786 2nd HLI

Of the other 2 J Connelly has a DoD of 4/8/20 - is he the missing man? He is 65529 Royal Scots.

The last man there died in 1918. 

Good finds, thank you Mark. Connelly is not one of them though.

Died at Kilmihil, County Clare, from gun shot wound to head, accidental haemorrhage certified.

Soldiers Fatal Accident. Private Connolly, of the Royal Scots Regiment, quartered at Kilmihill, had a revolver on his side on duty on Wednesday morning, and which went off accidentally through contact with his arm or some other unaccountable way, and the contents lodged in his body inflicting such wounds from which he died soon after.

Yes Connelly has surviving papers and I had just worked out not him. .

I think we can be happy that Clinton is in fact McClintock. I think we must be looking for a 2nd HLI man to be the "unknown"

Y'know, I think you are right Mark, Stokes, McClintock and McIlroy fit the bill perfectly. Which leads us to assume that the unknown unnamed body was one of them.

Well done Mark, that cannot have been easy, thank you kindly for all you help.

Tom.

34 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Richard McClintock 76512 2nd HLI

Richard McClintock, 76512, HLI

WFA/Fold3 pension card has as 14.7.20, Drowned - Mother Mrs Agnes McClintock, 11 Cathcart St, Greenock

M

The paper says Brown, McIlroy and McClintock or the paper's version of their name are identified. Hence Stokes must be the unknown if we accept my premise.

The 4 men are thus Brown, McIlroy, McClintock and Stokes; all 4 being 2 HLI

Edited by Mark1959

40 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

H McIlroy 74786 2nd HLI

Hugh McIlroy, 74786, HLI

Has a MIC in that name

M

Excellent, thank you Mark, great finds.

It sure was, how you found them is beyond me, thank you Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning lads and lassies. Our poser for today is a real mess. If you can find anything that helps we would appreciate it very much indeed. Here is what we have, it is a strange one. Note the name and unit differences. Thank you most sincerely in advance.

Thank you.

Tom.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FSILVERWAR%2FBADGES%2F143315

Harte Peter One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service. 01/01/1920 Died after discharge at Cloonamahon Sanitorium, Sligo, from Pulmonary Tuberculosis Exhaustion 1 year 6 months certified. Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A married man.

I will delete the following cards later today.

Edited by museumtom

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png

John HART, 3/28296, East Lancashire Regiment

Has a number of pension cards at WFA/Fold3 - Disability: Arteo Arthritis, Dysentry, DoB: 1892, Discharged: 29.11.1917

and including this related one with a DoD 8.3.20 

image.png.04dae41718a1a349286d75acae33dbca.png

Image to WFA/Fold3

Other cards give his and his mother Celia's address in Tullycully/Tullycooley, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim

On his mother's pension card [as HARTE] cause of death was Tuberculosis, 8-3-20

On the face of it those disabilities and date of discharge are not helpfully linked to death by TB.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Thank you kindly Matlock, I will update their files now with your new information. Pity they would not qualify though.

Next one out of the bag which has us beat I am not afraid to admit. Can you help please?

Denis Haigney, an ex-soldier, widower, address-Cloghadolarty/Cloghadoolarty, Croom, County Limerick. Died at the Workhouse, Croom, County Limerick on 04/10/1920 aged 55 from epithelioma of lip secondary growths in sublimaxillary(?) glands, certified.

image.png