Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2022 at 22:21, depaor01 said:

Outstanding.  Thank you Tom.

I'll await results and use my Council connections to see if I can find his plot. Hopefully a headstone might result.

Dave

OK @museumtom, @jdoyle,  I have found both the burial record for 22395 Gerald (Jeremiah) O'Neill and his burial plot. The plot was marked out for me by Esker Cemetery's caretaker. I have put in some aluminium pegs to make the marking more permanent, and am in the process of making a temporary wooden marker with a 3D printed name plate.

Where should I go from here?

20221005_113016.jpg

IMG_5326.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

Good man David and well done! You need to take a photograph of the full page and email it to Terry and you are done.

A great find, well done indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

19 hours ago, museumtom said:

Good man David and well done! You need to take a photograph of the full page and email it to Terry and you are done.

A great find, well done indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Went a little above and beyond today... It felt good.

DSC_0790.JPG

1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

Went a little above and beyond today... It felt good.

DSC_0790.JPG

Excellent to see.  I deeply admire what you’ve done.  Another one out from the cold…

On 02/09/2022 at 14:56, museumtom said:

Thank you Mark and George. I did argue the toss saying that his nephritis was contracted during service and he died from the same but Terry says the gap is too long between discharge and death and it does not show he was discharged with nephritis, etc. He says perhaps things will change and to re-send in another 6 months.

Was taking another look at this one (John Edwards 4731) and it's one of mine! Submitted to IFCP June 2021, accepted for commemoration October 2021. Not sure why Terry would have knocked it back when you asked, although this past year he's been a bit hesitant over cases that rely too much on pension cards and are lacking service records. You can cross him off your list, anyway.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75466777/john-edwards/

Hello Paul.

I did not know you submitted him in 2021 and so, I submitted him in 2022. Terry suggests to re-submit him in 6 months which I have him lined up to do.

Then I look in the CWGC and there he is!

I note his grave reference has not been added.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75466777/john-edwards/

Hi George. Just joined the site today and i am not even sure if you will see this post with regards to your post back in 2020 regarding the sinking of the ship the SS Rochester in Nov 1917 and its crew which was captained by Erik Kokeritz. I published a book last year called Captain Kokeritz, An American Hero and so if you require any info regarding the men onboard and what happened to them do not hesitate to get in touch. 

Thanks TT this is museumtom’s thread and he will spot your kind offer

George

'Morning George and Timetraveller. The post you mention is from George himself, he was doing a project on the U.S. Navy and asked for a newspaper lookup Here is the post.

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2019 at 20:08, George Rayner said:

It may be this is Gill on Ancestry

Name: Walter Gill
Birth Date: 1886
Residence Place: Kitrush CO, Clare
Military Service Region: Ireland, Ireland
Discharge Date: 7 Nov 1919
Service Number: 103155
Regiment: Kings L'pool
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number: 13/MG/819

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=210672&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy20648&_phstart=successSource

Guessing that Kitrush is Kilrush!!

...and yes it's Fold3

George

This is my great Uncle Walter his brother is my Great grandfather !

On 18/06/2019 at 18:34, museumtom said:

Gill, Walter, K.L.R. as above image.

This soldier would be the right age and the right regiment but I cannot find records for him, can you help please?

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/SILVERWAR/BADGES/379038

Private Walter Gill is possibly my great uncle from Kilrush iv landed on this page researching him .i really have no idea how to navigate this forum hahah 

On 18/06/2019 at 22:10, Mark1959 said:

Sorry been out on river with my disabled rowing squad for several hours

Think the team has correctly identified Walter Gill as the correct man. WFA card shows he was discharged for TB. Showing as "att" - assume attributable. I will point out DofD of 1/10/21 is after the 31/08/21 cut-off for recognition. Address is Moore St. Kilrush on card. His death is noted on card in 10/21 but no exact date indicated, 

https://www.fold3.com/image/1/645033383

My great Uncle Walter Gill was discharged for TB and later died of it in County Clare Kilrush Ireland in 1921 i am trying to work out if you are talking about my Walter of another,did i see someone write they have a image of Him? if so id love to see it !

Just now, Kymmie said:

My great Uncle Walter Gill was discharged for TB and later died of it in County Clare Kilrush Ireland in 1921 i am trying to work out if you are talking about my Walter of another,did i see someone write they have a image of Him? if so id love to see it !

and i was pretty mad when i realized he missed the date of recognition by a couple of months he died 1 October 1921 Ancestry site  is reflecting some details incorrect which i will fix  he was born and raised in Moore Street but actually died in limerick but is buried with my great grandparents in Kilrsuh i think at one stage he entered a workhouse,i know he loved dogs and had a problem with drinking and i have records of him hitting his wife,my entire family had issues with drinking and many of them died it early,except me of course im a little old teetotaler ,hello from Australia !

2 minutes ago, Kymmie said:

wow ! yes thats them ! awesome

thankyou very much ! what was the origanal post about ? im just learning to navigate this site :mellow:

We search for soldiers who died after discharge, before 31/08/1921 from anything that was caused by or was contracted during the war. Some of them are entitled to be remembered in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, however Walter died after this date so does not qualify.

Cheers.

Tom.

Below from.

image.png.93f010af404ebeee1fb4f48b54f7d55c.png

image.png.999b055de88d2a0aacb97e6e4034400e.png

9 minutes ago, museumtom said:

We search for soldiers who died after discharge, before 31/08/1921 from anything that was caused by or was contracted during the war. Some of them are entitled to be remembered in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, however Walter died after this date so does not qualify.

Cheers.

Tom.

Below from.

image.png.93f010af404ebeee1fb4f48b54f7d55c.png

image.png.999b055de88d2a0aacb97e6e4034400e.png

Love your work thanks Tom for sharing ,sad he just missed out but I guess everything has to have a cut off time ,many thanks Kym 😊