Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Now this may look a doddle but try as I might I cannot find either of these lads. Can you help please?

"June 11, 1915;-Father and only Son Killed.Second Lieutenant S H Morter, of the Inniskilling Fusiliers, who was killed in action in France on the 5th inst, in his 19th year, was the only child of the late Captain P Morter, Gordon Highlanders, who was killed last December."

I tried lots of different variants with geoff and SDGW without success. Your imput would be so very welcome.

Thanking you most sincerely in advance.

Tom.

Best I could get was:

MORDAUNT-SMITH, LIONEL St. GEORGE

Date of Death: Between 15/05/1915 and 16/05/1915

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

2nd Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 16 and 17.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Mrs. Mathew (formerly Mordaunt-Smith), of Rose Cottage, Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, and the late Mordaunt Kirwin Mordaunt-Smith.

No sign of father's death though

Andrewr

Hello Andrew, your efforts are very much appreciated, thank you. This seems to be a particularly tricky one. I thought it might be a mis-spelling as there are no Morters in the 1901 or 1911 Census and even t'internet does not help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The above had a brother by the name of Bridgeman and the father was Mordaunt Kirwan Smith so probably not our man. What is your source Tom?

Jon

More on the father:

Birth 1857 Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Sex Male

Died 1906

Father Captain Seton Lionel Smith, b. c. 1817, East Indies

Mother Frances Catherine Uniacke

Source: lyons.familytreeguide.com

Can't find anything on father or son - ancestry, CWGC, TNA, etc. I'm using an iPhone so I give up Tom! Sorry.

John

Thanks for trying anyway lads, I appreciate it very much. This may be unsolvable.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Liverpool Echo 9th June 1915

post-1356-0-16535500-1351803280_thumb.pn

Serving under alias, perhaps?

Thanks Stephen, at least now I have a first name which is a lot more than I had earlier. Many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom

Only 25 from the Inniskilling Fusiliers killed in the first two weeks of June on CWGC and not a single Officer among them

Tom

No evidence of Stanley or Percy Morter in the 1901 or 1911 Census for Scotland. I have had a look at the valuation rolls of 1915 and no evidence of the family in Edinburgh in 1915.

Douglas

No Stanley or Percy coming in FMP deaths for 1914 or 1915 either (which includes military ones)

Nothing for either, or anyone named Morter, on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour (which is far from a complete record).

Nothing relevant on the last available census, either.

D

We have all had a thorough search of the usual sources and found nothing for either father or son with the various combinations - Morter, Stanley, Percy, mother Grace, Gordon's, Inniskilling's, etc. I've searched through the Times casualty lists this morning for both father and son and found nothing.

The original post by Tom taken from the Irish Independent is of a biographical nature, as are the posts by Stephen in #9 and #10. These biographical details or personal notes were supplied to the newspapers by families of the deceased. I think that either a newspaper got the sons details horribly confused with someone else and other newspapers followed suit, or, dare I say it, this was a hoax of some sort ( I hope to be proved wrong).

John

Hi

Assuming the rank, date and regiment is right CWGC gives this person-

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

Son of Charles and Emily Fearn, of Speen Manor, Newbury

No match at all-

For Father--

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

no result.

Seems very odd?

regards

Robert

Thank you lads and lassies, I appreciate each and every one of you and all the brilliant help and goodwill you always show here on the forum. The jury is out on this one for the moment I suppose. I even looked in the London Gazette without success.

As Alice in Wonderland would say "curiouser and curiouser"

Kindest regards and thanks again all.

Tom.

I cannot see that anyone has mentioned the Scottish National roll of honour or memorial, which might include an officer of the Gordons. Is it accessible online?

How about a search of the Probate Calendar? I do not have access.

I have launched the subject on a Liverpool family history forum in case their bloodhounds can track the wanted couple.

D