Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Thank you very much Den795. Great information. If you wish I will add this new information to the database and credit it you your good self. You need three posts to use the messaging system here so two more and you can send me your details. Could you please give me details of his brother who also died in the war please?

The database is here.

https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive/

Kind regards and thank you.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Morning Tom

I read this with interest yesterday and followed through on the brother.

I believe him to be MGC #13727 died 17/2/1917. He is CWGC commemorated.

Best to get confirmation from Den795 though!

George

• Admin
1 hour ago, museumtom said:

You need three posts to use the messaging system here so two more and you can send me your details

It’s one post to use private messages so @Den795 is good to go. 

Thank you Michelle.

14 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Morning Tom

I read this with interest yesterday and followed through on the brother.

I believe him to be MGC #13727 died 17/2/1917. He is CWGC commemorated.

Best to get confirmation from Den795 though!

George

Yes George , You are correct with the details about James ..... To a degree  ;) 

The records for James are not so simple as the family sadly  refused to recognize his service and Ultimate sacrifice .... 

And the Military records were destroyed during the Blitz on London in WW2 .... So I only have what I could trace over years of searching.

Yes he waas originally a 4th Connaught Ranger & the story goes that he took a Pony & Trap into Youghal town sometime in 1915 and left it tied up .... Sent message to family to retrieve Pony & trap & Vanished / enlisted ! 

4th Connaught Rangers were in Kilworth / Fermoy at the time but there are NO records to confirm James .... Other than he was MG company and compulsory transferred to MGC in 1916.

He then deployed to France with 99th Infantry battalion MG Company 

I have the war diaries of his final days because I have spent years tracing his movements 

There are NO pictures of him in Uniform or medals because a member of the family destroyed them in the 1980s when I discovered them 

242319037_927168944876696_5597443299703833189_n.jpg

James Lawton Exhumaton and reburial in France letter 1920.jpg

James transfer to MGC from 4th Connaught Rangers.png

MGC Death Cert.jpg

14 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

It’s one post to use private messages so @Den795 is good to go. 

Thanks Michelle 

2 hours ago, Den795 said:

The records for James are not so simple as the family sadly  refused to recognize his service and Ultimate sacrifice .... 

James LAWTON, 13727, Machine Gun Corps

Hmm? ... His mother put in a dependant's pension claim

image.png.2f63550fe7abb802629680cbe2ba81e1.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

It rather looks 5/- pw was awarded under Article 21.1c of the 1919 Royal Warrant [Article 21.1c only appears in the 1919 RW - paid in respect of an unmarried child under 26 at the start of the war or date of joining the colours, if later, and no pension being paid in favour of a child or other dependant in respect of him - Irrespective of any pre-war dependance, age, infirmity or pecuniary need]

Things didn't seem quite so clear-cut for his family back then.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you kindly Den795 and Matlock. PM sent.

11 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

James LAWTON, 13727, Machine Gun Corps

Hmm? ... His mother put in a dependant's pension claim

image.png.2f63550fe7abb802629680cbe2ba81e1.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

It rather looks 5/- pw was awarded under Article 21.1c of the 1919 Royal Warrant [Article 21.1c only appears in the 1919 RW - paid in respect of an unmarried child under 26 at the start of the war or date of joining the colours, if later, and no pension being paid in favour of a child or other dependant in respect of him - Irrespective of any pre-war dependance, age, infirmity or pecuniary need]

Things didn't seem quite so clear-cut for his family back then.

M

Matlock

I am fully aware of the family situation and circumstances back then ! ….. and also have that pension claim form …. 
What is meant by not recognizing his service is that he was never mentioned by my grandmother or other family relatives…. 
Nor his grave In France ever mentioned or visited 

19 minutes ago, Den795 said:

I am fully aware of the family situation and circumstances back then ! ….. and also have that pension claim form …. 
What is meant by not recognizing his service is that he was never mentioned by my grandmother or other family relatives…. 
Nor his grave In France ever mentioned or visited 

I was not aware of what you knew but pension index cards are not always known or interpreted - I had hoped my explanation would have been appreciated and added to your story.

My intention was not to offend, and I hope I have not done so.  The politics, both inside and outwith a family, can be very complicated.  It is very sad when a family member gets shunned by their own.

Glad you are trying to make family amends to a soldier who lost his life in the service of his country. :poppy:

M

image.png.e250ca7f80f236f62e58632f2357098c.png

image.png.698598085a3d73c5b4740f7b5debf60e.png

4 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.e250ca7f80f236f62e58632f2357098c.png

image.png.698598085a3d73c5b4740f7b5debf60e.png

Yes Tom that is correct ...... In regards to JOHN Lawton.

As children on holiday at the family cottage at Clashadunna we were told of the Stars & Stripes Flag being used as a Privacy room divider in the large main bedroom when my father and 3 aunts were children 

Good morning all.

Here is one man we cannot nail down, is he R.N. or Mercantile Marine? We cannot find his records, can you help please?

image.png.b6bf616c36263715f6ea2cb748ecf210.png

I'm guessing he was Merchant Navy? The number 105677 appears to refer to the ship, the SS Fordham. A search on the National Archives brings up two crew lists.

Thank you Paul. We really are in the dark on this one.

I wonder what

case number R.N. 8517 refers to? Pension record?

George

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

I wonder what

case number R.N. 8517 refers to? Pension record?

Yes, that R.N. 8517 is the pension case reference number

I have seen multiple examples where R.N. case numbers were used for Royal Naval Reserve cases ... so as he was an AB I could easily be persuaded to consider along that potential RNR line of enquiry

M

Tom,

I think he was an Able Bodied Seaman serving on the SS Fordham previously SS Lateliford ??. See attached crew list for the Fordham dated 7th July to 31st December 1915. His name is second from the bottom on the list. Not sure if Merchant Navy or Royal Navy?

George

Michael Merringan - SS Fordham Crew List 001.jpg

Michael Merringan - SS Fordham Crew List 1st July to 31st december 1915.jpg

Michael Merringan - SS Fordham Crew List 1st July to 31st December 1915 002.jpg

Edited by George Millar

Good man George, thank you kindly, a great find. That kind of points me in the direction of Merchant Navy.

Tom,

I think you could be right about him being Merchant Navy but still not sure.

George

Michael Merringan.jpg

FYI: Mercantile Marine pension claims at WFA/Fold3 are typically in a different card set from military claims and MM claims typically use a different style of pension reference.

MERRIGAN seems to be turning up in the military section and a military style pension reference is used.

M

Edit: This topic is in Soldiers' and may not reach the eyes of more knowledgeable members

@horatio2, @KizmeRD and/or @MerchantOldSalt may perhaps be able to assist ??

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Thanks Matlock, it just seems strange that we can't find him in either the Royal Naval Reserve or Volunteer records or for that matter in the Royal Navy Seamen's records. I've tried different spelling of his name etc but no luck.

George

Tom,

Is Michael Merrigan the person who married Margaret Demby on the 25th September 1913 in Wicklow, his occupation being listed as a "Seaman" and address as Castle Street in Wicklow. If it is then his father Edward Merrigan was also a "Seaman". Edward was married to Bridget ???? and they lived in 26 Castle Street, Wicklow in the 1901 census & 44 Castle Street, Wicklow in the 1911 census. Michael was still living with his parents as these times. Edward was the captain of the ship "Maux Girl".

George

Michael Merrigan & Margaret Demby - 1913 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

Edward Merrigan.jpg

Edited by George Millar

Thank you kindly lads, I can see the A Team are on it!

Here is all I could find on him.

Merrigan    ,     Michael    .     (Wicklow).     Rank-     Able Seaman    .     Regiment/Service:      Royal Navy    .     Unit:      S.S. Fordham    .     Ser No:      105677    .     Date of death:     08/12/1916    .     Age:      50    .     Born:      Wicklow    .     Enlisted:      Fitzwilliam Road, Wicklow    .     Residence:      Fitzwilliam Road, Wicklow    .     Death:      Died at Wicklow Infirmary from Abscess of Lung, Syncope.    .     Next of kin, etc:      Husband of Mrs Margaret Merrigan, Fitzwilliam Road, Wicklow. Michael merrigan, Sea-Man, Castle Street, Wicklow Town, son of Edward Merrigan Sea-man, married Margaret Denby, Fitzwilliam Road, Wicklow Town at Wicklow Church on 25/09/1913.    Notes-     This man may be Merchant Navy but has a pension card with R.N. on it.    .     Grave/Memorial:          .     Cemetery:     Unknown    .