Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Can only find pension cards for this man. None of the DCs for 1919 match his details.

Tom,

Unfortunately I cannot find much on Patrick's military service, no Mic etc. Attached his death record in 1919 which you probably already have and also two possible death records for his wife Mary Power.

George

Patrick Power - 1919 Ireland Death Record.jpg

Mary Power (Nee Xxxxx) - 1923 Ireland Death Record.jpg

Mary Power (Nee Xxxxx) - 1929 Ireland Death Record.jpg

How did you find the DC George? I've run several searches but no match.

Thank you George, I agree with Paul, try as I might I could not find his DC either. 

I tried again and I still could not find it. You have the magic touch George.

Me neither! Well done George

George

Found it, he is listed with age 0.

Tom,

From Paul Nixon's Army Service Numbers site, Patrick might have enlisted into the Royal Irish Regiment between the 24th February 1909 (S/N° 9755) and the 3rd March 1910 (S/N° 10011), his service N° 9766 so in WW1 might have been called up but didn't serve overseas because of his age, hence no Mic etc. It's just a thought but needs confirming.

George

Royal Irish Regiment - Attestation Dates.jpg

Good men Paul and George, thank ye kindly, all very welcome!

Posted (edited)

Good morning all. Here is a particularly difficult lad to nail down, can you help please?

Power/Powers , James . (Waterford). Rank- Private . Regiment/Service: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the line including the Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps. . Unit: 9th Lancers . Ser No: 64045. Date of death: 10/05/1917 . Age: 36 . . Residence: 9 Passage Road, Waterford. . Death: Died after discharge at the Union Hospital, Waterford from Pulmonary Tuberculosis, certified. . Next of kin, etc: Husband of Mrs Bridget Powers, 19 Passage Road, Waterford. Notes- Pension cards-Pension cards-Powers, death certificate-Power. Grave/Memorial: . Cemetery: Unknown .

image.png

Edited by museumtom

George found court cases for widow Bridget living at 19 Passage Road and non-attendance at school of sons  Laurence and James between 1917 and 1919. I tried to nail them in the Census and birth certs but no chance.

Tom,

What details have you got on him? Attached his death record if you haven't already got it.

George

James Power - 1917 Ireland Death Record.jpg

Thank you George, yes it is included in the info above.

No joy Tom, just two pension cards which I assume you have already seen. Note that both are marked as "pre-war".

Tom,

I don't know if this is correct or not but here goes:

In the 1911 census of Ireland, there was a William & Kate Power living at N° 19 Passage Road in Waterford. They were listed as having been married 32 years (1879) and had 6 children, 3 still living in 1911. Their sons Thomas (aged 30) & John (aged 28) were living with them at this address. I looked for the birth record for Thomas to establish his parents and came up with the following: born 8 May 1879 in Graigrhonan, Waterford, Ireland to parents William Power & Catherine Butler (see attached). The family were living at N° 17 Passage Road, Waterford in the 1901 census. There are two other children listed in the 1901 census - Mollie (aged 15) & Patrick (aged 13). No mention of James! I looked at the marriage records for Catherine Butler married to someone with a surname Power and came up with four possible, all married in Waterford. I have eliminated two, a William Power married to Catherine Butler in 1865 & also a William Power married to Catherine Butler in 1906. There are tow possibles although they are listed as John Power married to Catherine Butler, one in 1875 & the other in 1879. Not sure which one would be the right one. However, I cannot be sure that this is James' family. Needs more researching to establish if it is the correct or not.

George

William Power Occupants 19 Passage Passage Road (Waterford Urban, Waterford) 1911 Census.jpg

William Power Occupants 17 Passage Passage Road (Waterford Urban, Waterford) 1901 Census.jpg

Thomas Power - 1879 Ireland, Select Births & Baptisms, 1620-1911.jpg

John Power & Catherine Butler - 1875 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

John Power & Catherine Butler - 1879 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

Thank you Paul, I did not notice the -pre-war bit, silly me.

George well done that man, thank you! Great research. He is so tantalizing and always just out of reach. Maybe he had an alias or enlisted under his brothers name, or lots of other possibilities. As Paul found he looks to have pre war service. 

Kind regards and thanks again lads, you do me proud.

Tom.

Tom,

Just found a James Powers who served with the 9th Lancers with a Service N° 4568. He served in the Boer War with that number. There is a Pension Card for him but I don't have access to it to confirm it so I can't be sure if he is your man or not.

George

James Powers - UK, WW1 Pension Ledgers & Index Cards, 1914-1923.jpg

Unfortunately the card doesn't have much detail. A transcribed record on FMP says he was "Wounded Severely on 27/05/1901 at Ospoort".

Thank you George, that was not an easy find, much appreciated. Thank you Paul, it all helps.

Paul,

His medal roll for his service in South Africa shows he was invalided back to England and as he didn't receive the 1902 Clasp this would seem to confirm your findings of him being severly wounded in 1901.

George

He was discharged with GSW to head if I recall correctly from this mornings search.

Surely age would be an issue?

George

Thank you George. He was 36 when he died in 1917.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all.

Can you please direct me to where I can get the PDF D.C. for this man?

His death is registered here at Southam, London-https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=BMD%2FD%2F1917%2F3%2FAZ%2F000165&parentid=BMD%2FD%2F1917%2F3%2FAZ%2F000165%2F037

image.png.738dd4070756a59b072334b19cb3889c.png

Edited by museumtom

Here?

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

CURRAN, FRANK     37  
GRO Reference: 1917  S Quarter in SOUTHWARK  Volume 01D  Page 89
Order this entry as a: