Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

DC Paul.

image.png.2b62cb8a1970c425c4da2ee0bdbff605.png

Tom,

I like yourself cannot find anything on him using those 2 service numbers. I also checked all other Kinsella's to see if there had been a mistake in the transcriptions on Ancestry but again no luck. I thought he might have had a Silver War Badge when he was discharged from the Royal Dublin Fusiliers with a broken leg but then I found that these were first issued in September 1916 after the date he was discharged.

George

He did have a S.W.B. but under a different number. Formerly served with the 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers under service number 13606 (M.I.C.). R.D.F. number in his pension document recorded as 21642. Awarded Silver War Badge number 21669 on 08/02/1917.

Tom,

There is a service record for John Kinsella, Service N° 13606. It states he was born in Dublin but he was discharged on the 28th August 1916. is this your man? His place of residence was listed as Kilfedder, Greystones, Co Wicklow. If so I can copy some details for you.

George

Tom,

Some details attached courtesy of Ancestry.

George

John Kinsella - Service Record.jpg

John Kinsella - Medal Rolls Index Card.jpg

John Kinsella - Silver War Badge.jpg

Thank you George, FMP did not have him.

He is a tricky one.

Tom,

The only thing that is casting doubt with me between John Kinsella, Service N° 21642 and the above John Kinsella, Service N° 13606 is the date of discharge in both cases and the reason for his discharge. I did initially look at the record for 13606 but dismissed it because of the date of discharge.

George

Thanks for the help!

I'm not entirely convinced that John Kinsella 13606 is the same man though, I don't see anything connecting him besides name and regiment. According to the service record, he was born in Dublin about 1895 and his nok was an aunt, Mrs Hughes of 7 East James Street. A separate pension card gives his disability as epilepsy:

KinsellaJohn(13606).jpg.af27fc1dd7450c5b842063a97cd1235b.jpg

(Source; Fold3)

John Kinsella 21642/26915 was the son of Phillip Kinsella. I can find Phillip in the census records but not John. I think this might be his birth certificate:

kinselladc.JPG.e20e0bc5da2eb76c72459fb8bc520d25.JPG

(Source: Irish Genealogy)

Agreed George and Paul, on the ball.

Tom,

I agree with Paul. As I said previously I had my doubts and think we are back to square one with this one. Still can't find anything on the John Kinsella, Service N° 21642/26915. Strange but you would think there would be something on him, perhaps a Medal Rolls Index Card if he had served overseas or something else. Will keep looking to see if something crops up.

George 

I had a look in the papers but nothing there for him, sorry.

Tom,

If you haven't already got it, John Kinsella's baptism in Clough, Baltinglass, Co Wicklow, parents Philip Kinsella & Dora Dowling.

George

John Kinsella - 1888 Ireland, Select C0atholic Birth & Baptism Registers, 1763-1917.jpg

Good man George, I appreciate it.

Paul thank you for the thumbs up on this lad, I would have passed him by.

No problem Tom! Another mystery...

On 09/06/2019 at 14:55, charlie962 said:

re Patrick Kelliher, of Kilrush, aged 16.

Doesn't progress things but I note there's a Patrick Kelleher, born 1904 to John and Katie of Pound St, Kilrush. 1911 Census shows him at home. In 1915 he is up before the beak for stealing apples but as he's underage it's his father who stands guarantor. Could be him but I find nothing more. Perhaps he joined the Army young to get out of trouble ?

I found the above comment but not the rest of the discussion. I assume this refers to the following DC for Patrick Kelliher who died on 30/01/1920:

4411725.jpg.b2b73c43f287e9e84110d5885475a628.jpg

(Source: Irish Genealogy)

There are several pension cards for Patrick Kelleher 32148 Leinster Regiment, slightly different date of death but looks to me like it might be the same lad:

KellegherPatrick(32148).jpg.467d79080b295840429adf2c42eec40a.jpg

(Source: Fold3)

No further trace of him though.

Good man Paul, he was already in the database but thank you for thinking of me. I could not find his records so I could put him forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all.

Try as I might I cannot find the critical sheet for this lad, can you help please? He looks like he may qualify.

Records, without the critical sheet are here.

image.png

M.I.C. image.png.532df95815c2b4de7188d207a95cc92d.png

Looks like that service record has two separate Thomas Hogans, 3/5310 and 4/3176.

I can't see anything to help your case.

Thank you kindly Paul, much appreciated. I had looked at the second one but his age and place of birth did not tally.

Tom,

Bit of a strange one. His service with the Royal Irish Regiment, Service N° 3/5310 shows he was 17 years old when he enlisted in 1908 and was discharged on the 24th March 1915 under Para 392 (xvi) KR due to "Sickness". It then seems that he enlisted into the Royal Irish Regiment Special Reserve, Service N° 4/3176 aged 34 years old but his record then shows he was then discharged on the 7th September 1916 which doesn't tie up with the date of death on his pension Record of the 6th June 1916. However, I have found a death record for a Thomas Hogan who died in the Union Hospital in Waterford on the 27th June 1916, cause of death listed as Pulmonary Tuberculosis. His widow was listed as Mary Hogan. His occupation was listed as a "Railway Porter". I'm not saying this is your man but it is worth further investigation (correct age at death if he was born in 1891 and correct widow's name).

Images courtesy of Ancestry

George

Thomas Hogan - Service N° 3_5310.jpg

Thomas Hogan - Service N° 4_3176.jpg

Thomas Hogan - 1916 Ireland Death Record.jpg

Tom,

I had another look at his service record for 3/5310 and it lists his wife as "Mary, 19 Peter Street, Waterford" and if you look at the death record for Thomas above it says that he as from Peter Street so it could possibly be the correct man, still some checking to do to confirm this.

George

As I said in my previous post, a bit of a strange one. In Thomas' service record for 3/5310 his wife is listed as Mary O'Neill who he married on the 30th June 1910 in Waterford. His occupation is listed as a "Porter" which would tie in with the death record above. However, the pension records show his wife as Mary Sullivan. The reason for this is that she remarried on the 17th August 1919 in Waterford to Thomas Sullivan. (see attached marriage records).

George 

Thomas Hogan & Mary O'Neill - 1910 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

Thomas Sullivan & Mary Hogan (Nee O'Neill) - 1919 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg